Sony 5.5TB Optical Disc Archive Gen 3 Cartridge - 5.5 TB Cold/Archival storage for $180 ???!!

Came across this on BHphotovideo

image.thumb.png.f3033cc6eb896a646fe665ffd5ca0c5e.png

Screenshots from the video:

image.thumb.png.7beb150ed1c745cca1b869eb0a3228ef.png

image.thumb.png.439ac823fb58a55c86ef00142859e63c.png

Video:

Sony claims that it would last for a 100 years & does not get "liquid damaged".

(From my experience a normal writable disc can also work immediately after a water bath. Will it work after 10 years without the dye getting rotten is a question though)

5.5TB for $180 !

Has anyone come across this ? Reminds me of the days of optical storage & firmware that improve the drive

s features & performance!

(I searched for ODA in the forum & couldn't find any references to it, hence this post)

It's difficult to see what market this is targeted at.  Large companies probably would use

some sort of tape mechanism that can robotically insert, remove and change tapes. Rolling

backups come to mind.

For hobbyist and home use the price is too high compared to just buying some 10+ Tb disk drives.

The 100 year lifetime also means that the drive and writing system would need to be around in 100 years.

So does that really means that the probability of failure to read is lowered in the 1-10 year timeframe ?

Perhaps the commercial photography and video market might be the target.  Hence BH Photo selling it.

-- Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 6:35 PM, Tom3 said:

Perhaps the commercial photography and video market might be the target.

Do commercial Radio or TV channels have any legal obligation to archive their content for a certain number if years ?

Wish I could go back and see some old TV & radio as how it was when I was a younger.

I've got no idea about how radio from, say, 1949 was archived & now available in sites like this!

https://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library Files/Numbered Series/1949 Christmas Seal Campaign/

If you have a moment, please listen to this

https://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library Files/Numbered Series/1949 Christmas Seal Campaign/1949 Christmas Seal Campaign 49-12-03 Guest - John Charles Thomas.mp3

and just past 3 minutes, you can hear them talk about TB, the pandemic at that time!

I could feel the parallels in messaging, just as it is for the current pandemic.

Somebody decided to archive it & somebody decided to keep preserving it, and so now we have those moments, which we can experience!

Edited by Shinobi