Recommendation for a Supermicro ( or similar chassis )

JBa

Hi,

I have a unraid running currently with 4x8tb + 8 tb + 512gb (cache ) drive configuration on a very old antec tower with drives attached to a 500w power supply. I am looking to move this to rack mounted chassis and was looking for super micro ones. I dont run much ( plex / piehole / fileservers/ cloud backups and such ) is all my use..Would like to get something which will run good or the next 5 or so years before i need to upgrade..

Details Below in the requested format

What is your budget?  - $500

Drives - 4x8 TB ( currently running ) + 8tb Parity + 512GB Cache - ( repurposing from current )

Is expandability important to you?  If so, what's your long term goal?- Maybe go to 8-10 drives in future.. nothing more

Do you want to run green/low power drives or faster 7200 rpm drives? - Repurposing current western digital black / white label drives

What do you plan to run for hard drives? - I am not sure what this question entails

Just the drives 5x8 Tb ( from WD easystore 8tb - shucked ) - Various connectors / CPU heatsinks - 500w psu ( evga) / various cables -

I found this one on ebay..(Supermicro CSE-836TQ-R1200B X8DTH) Recommendations would be great.. Its missing a heat shroud / heat sinks ( which I think i can easily procure )..

Edited by JBa
Added details in requested format..

The SM 836TQ is a great chassis, and the only chassis that I use.  You will want to get some SQ power supplies, if you care about noise.

However, the X8DTH is ancient and inefficient. You would be better off finding a barebones chassis, and adding your own motherboard, or finding something more modern.  As soon as prices and availability are better, Im dumping the rest of my X9s.

On 8/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, StevenD said:

The SM 836TQ is a great chassis, and the only chassis that I use.  You will want to get some SQ power supplies, if you care about noise.

However, the X8DTH is ancient and inefficient. You would be better off finding a barebones chassis, and adding your own motherboard, or finding something more modern.  As soon as prices and availability are better, Im dumping the rest of my X9s.

Thank you.. I will start looking for a chasis only option.. I already started looking for the SQ power supplies and will need to figure out how to have quieter fans..