GPU Passthrough means ... external monitor?

MDN

Hello everyone, please help me to unravel a "knot of thoughts" in my mind. Sometimes I need a binary answer to understand something and not the usual "it depends" that you read everywhere.

Since yesterday I have spent many hours configuring GPU Passthrough. Thanks to Spaceinvader and various posts here on the forum, there was also a lot I could try.

Since I have an NVIDIA GTX 1050TI, I also exported the VBIOS, edited it with the HEX editor and integrated it. The thing with the graphics card and sound card on the GPU was also edited via XML. Then I entered and changed things in syslinux.cfg, etc., etc.

To get to the bottom of my problem, I installed a Windows 10 VM via VNC, then added the GPU and the VM also starts. BUT ... and now comes the catch: My screen says: No signal.

Here is finaly my question:
Does GPU Passthrough mean that I can connect a monitor to the graphics card

and the VM's output can be seen (more or less natively) on it?

Or do I always have to connect to the VM with a piece of software (RDP or similar)?

For you professionals, the question might be trivial, but getting a YES or NO statement here would really help me. thx

Some things to check.

Video card outputs. Sometimes a card won't automatically switch to the output you are using. Try each port on the video card.

Is it really starting properly? While you have it running with VNC, install a remote access software like nomachine or teamviewer, get that working properly under VNC, then when you switch outputs to the video card you can verify whether the VM fully started and just has a driver issue.