No Ryzen 3900x driver on x470 in 6.9.2

Hi, that is an issue with the x470 board BIOS, in my older mobo I had the exact same Processor and board, a x470 Gaming Pro Carbon with 2.E0 Bios; you have to enable the option "AMD Cool & Quiet" ; "PBO" and "Global C-States" must be Enabled; make sure that 'Power supply idle mode' is set to 'Typical Idle Current'; then the ACPI Driver could work nice and let you choose the profile that you prefer.

Even if I haven't checked your ram in the QVL list for the MSI Board, as a safe measure, disable DOCP and let the ram at 2133 Mhz, then, when everything is stable, start your way up in the ram speed, as an advice, you should never go beyond 3200; 3600 Mhz is way to high for the Processor and Unraid in general (I could be wrong, but there is not much performance left in the table beyond 3200 with a 3900x).

Let me know if everything works ok.

9 hours ago, Iker said:

Hi, that is an issue with the x470 board BIOS, in my older mobo I had the exact same Processor and board, a x470 Gaming Pro Carbon with 2.E0 Bios; you have to enable the option "AMD Cool & Quiet" ; "PBO" and "Global C-States" must be Enabled; make sure that 'Power supply idle mode' is set to 'Typical Idle Current'; then the ACPI Driver could work nice and let you choose the profile that you prefer.

Even if I haven't checked your ram in the QVL list for the MSI Board, as a safe measure, disable DOCP and let the ram at 2133 Mhz, then, when everything is stable, start your way up in the ram speed, as an advice, you should never go beyond 3200; 3600 Mhz is way to high for the Processor and Unraid in general (I could be wrong, but there is not much performance left in the table beyond 3200 with a 3900x).

Let me know if everything works ok.

Bingo that was it. I am only seeing boosting to 4.15 Ghz. Is that configurable in the bios ?

Well, it depends, if you are using the "Performance" Governor, in my experience, almost all cores will be at 3.8 all the time; that doesn't let so much power for a single core to reach the 4.6 Ghz advertised, most commonly 4.2 or 4.3 if you have both CPU cables connected and thermals under control (I replaced the stock cooler for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and my case is well ventilated); personally I use the "On Demand" governor, it adds a little of latency, but my workloads are mostly single core, so my CPU goes up to 4.4 sustained (4.6 are just in microseconds, is impossible to "watch", just record) in single core task, with temps around 63-65 c; an all core (24) task goes 4.0 in all cores with temps around 78-81. 

Of course, you could try to overclock and force a single core in the Bios, but in general it's not recommended, Ryzen 2d Gen doesn't have a lot of space to overclock, default stock settings are a lot more stable and well balanced.

Edited by Iker
  • 1 month later...

I am running Unraid 3.9.2 and I have a Ryzen 3900x with X570 chipset on the MSI Prestige Creation Mobo. I have never been able to get the CPU temps to show up in my Unraid since I built this server over a year ago. I realize that there have been improvements to the BIOS (which my mobo is on latest BIOS as of August 2021. How can I get my temps to show up? I want to make sure that my system is running cool enough. Is it something to do with BIOS options for CPU control like the other user mentioned above? Is there any documented settings that are known to work / not work that I can check? I thought that Unraid 6.9 was supposed to fix the issues with the Ryzen temps not showing?

1 hour ago, Fastcompjason said:

I am running Unraid 3.9.2 and I have a Ryzen 3900x with X570 chipset on the MSI Prestige Creation Mobo. I have never been able to get the CPU temps to show up in my Unraid since I built this server over a year ago. I realize that there have been improvements to the BIOS (which my mobo is on latest BIOS as of August 2021. How can I get my temps to show up? I want to make sure that my system is running cool enough. Is it something to do with BIOS options for CPU control like the other user mentioned above? Is there any documented settings that are known to work / not work that I can check? I thought that Unraid 6.9 was supposed to fix the issues with the Ryzen temps not showing?

do you have dynamix system temperature? It's a plugin.