Can not download bt over the cache size

Download bt by transmission(docker) in unRaid 6.9.1

Cache: 1T ssd

Array: 8T + 4T + 8T(parity)

If I selected "Yse" for the cache option of the bt download folder.

It alway show me the "not enough disk space" on the torrent(in the transmission) which size over 1T.

If selected "No" then the space issue fixed.

I think that will be expected behaviour for a torrent that large.    When you first start a torrent then Unraid will select a drive based on the share settings and not take into account the size of the file.   Once selected UnRaid will never change irs mind and give an out of space,type,error if the torrent does not then fit on the selected drive.   The only way to avoid this would be to set the Minimum Free Space for the cache to be larger than the torrent, and in the example you mention this would make the cache pointless.

As you found setting the Use Cache setting to No is working as it forces the torrent to the array.  Even then it might fail if you let the free space on your first drive fall below 1TB unless you set the Minimum Free Space for the share to be that large so the next drive with that amount free gets selected.

20 hours ago, itimpi said:

I think that will be expected behaviour for a torrent that large.    When you first start a torrent then Unraid will select a drive based on the share settings and not take into account the size of the file.   Once selected UnRaid will never change irs mind and give an out of space,type,error if the torrent does not then fit on the selected drive.   The only way to avoid this would be to set the Minimum Free Space for the cache to be larger than the torrent, and in the example you mention this would make the cache pointless.

As you found setting the Use Cache setting to No is working as it forces the torrent to the array.  Even then it might fail if you let the free space on your first drive fall below 1TB unless you set the Minimum Free Space for the share to be that large so the next drive with that amount free gets selected.

Im sure the array has enough space.

In my understanding, cache should only be a buffer, and should not limit the function. Even if the operating data exceeds the size of cache.

1 hour ago, Atom2004 said:

Im sure the array has enough space.

In my understanding, cache should only be a buffer, and should not limit the function. Even if the operating data exceeds the size of cache.

Not necessarily.   Any given file has to fit on the drive that gets selected when the file is created and if the file subsequently grows to exceed the available space then you get an out-of-space error.   UnRaid will never switch a file to a different drive at that point.

If as I suspect the torrent in question contains multiple files (you did not mention this) then it is highly likely that at the start of the download all files are initially being created with 0 size (and thus meet the conditions for being allocated to the cache) and then start growing in size as the downloads proceeds.   At some point their total size exceeds the space on the cache and an out-of-space error occurs.

if the torrent if just one gigantic file then you will have no choice but to force the cache to be by-passed if you want it to work.

if my supposition about multiple files in the torrent is correct then you can probably get the behaviour you want as long as the following conditions are met:

• You have the Minimum Free Space setting for the cache/pool to be bigger than the largest file in the torrent. Probably several times larger depending on how many files transmission tries to create in parallel.
  • the torrent client is set so it allocates all the space required for each file as soon as it is created rather than letting it grow as the download proceeds (not sure if transmission has such a setting).  

If these conditions can be met then the files in the torrent will start getting created on the cache (at their full size) until the free space drops below the value specified for the Minimum Free Space on the cache, and then any additional files in the torrent will get created directly on the array.    You would therefore have some files on the cache and some on the array even during the download phase.

17 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not necessarily.   Any given file has to fit on the drive that gets selected when the file is created and if the file subsequently grows to exceed the available space then you get an out-of-space error.   UnRaid will never switch a file to a different drive at that point.

If as I suspect the torrent in question contains multiple files (you did not mention this) then it is highly likely that at the start of the download all files are initially being created with 0 size (and thus meet the conditions for being allocated to the cache) and then start growing in size as the downloads proceeds.   At some point their total size exceeds the space on the cache and an out-of-space error occurs.

if the torrent if just one gigantic file then you will have no choice but to force the cache to be by-passed if you want it to work.

if my supposition about multiple files in the torrent is correct then you can probably get the behaviour you want as long as the following conditions are met:

• You have the Minimum Free Space setting for the cache/pool to be bigger than the largest file in the torrent. Probably several times larger depending on how many files transmission tries to create in parallel.
  • the torrent client is set so it allocates all the space required for each file as soon as it is created rather than letting it grow as the download proceeds (not sure if transmission has such a setting).  

If these conditions can be met then the files in the torrent will start getting created on the cache (at their full size) until the free space drops below the value specified for the Minimum Free Space on the cache, and then any additional files in the torrent will get created directly on the array.    You would therefore have some files on the cache and some on the array even during the download phase.

I got it. Thank you very much.

I'll try to set the torrent client allocate all the space as soon as start. 

ps: As usual, my large torrent file contains lot of small files(may be GBs per file).

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2021 at 1:43 PM, itimpi said:

I found it also show me SPACE NOT ENOUGH while I pushing some large(over 1TB totally) file from Windows client to the SMB shares host by UNRAID.