Unraid In Hyper-V For Testing

Hi All,

I've been looking around the forums, however I didn't see or find an answer I was looking for, so decided to create this post.

I really like UNRAID and will be using it in the future for my home server. However it's going to be at least a year before I buy all the hardware/UNRAID license. In the meantime I would like to test UNRAID in Hyper-V. My questions are:

1) Can I get UNRAID working in hyper-V (I think thats a yes)

2) If I can get UNRAID working in Hyper-V, can I get the trial version activated using a USB stick with a GUID?

3) Once the trial has ended, can I start all over again and use the same USB stick I loaded UNRAID on to boot UNRAID again/start the trial again?

4) If I can't use UNRAID trial again, then if I purchase UNRAID and keep using that purchased version again and again in Hyper-V, would that work.

I would like to create 4 virtual disks for the array also.

Thanks,

Tremorguy

34 minutes ago, Tremorguy said:

Hi All,

I've been looking around the forums, however I didn't see or find an answer I was looking for, so decided to create this post.

I really like UNRAID and will be using it in the future for my home server. However it's going to be at least a year before I buy all the hardware/UNRAID license. In the meantime I would like to test UNRAID in Hyper-V. My questions are:

1) Can I get UNRAID working in hyper-V (I think thats a yes)

2) If I can get UNRAID working in Hyper-V, can I get the trial version activated using a USB stick with a GUID?

3) Once the trial has ended, can I start all over again and use the same USB stick I loaded UNRAID on to boot UNRAID again/start the trial again?

4) If I can't use UNRAID trial again, then if I purchase UNRAID and keep using that purchased version again and again in Hyper-V, would that work.

I would like to create 4 virtual disks for the array also.

Thanks,

Tremorguy

it is a requirement to be able to run UnRaid successfully that the USB drive contains the UnRaid licence is passed through including its GUID, and I am not sure that is possible with Hyper-V?  It certainly used to be a problem.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

it is a requirement to be able to run UnRaid successfully that the USB drive contains the UnRaid licence is passed through including its GUID, and I am not sure that is possible with Hyper-V?  It certainly used to be a problem.

Still an outstanding issue with USB passthrough on Hyper-V, impacted some colleagues last week.

They just went with VirtualBox. VMWare player is another option too.

4 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Still an outstanding issue with USB passthrough on Hyper-V, impacted some colleagues last week.

They just went with VirtualBox. VMWare player is another option too.

Using VirtualBox is totally fine also, the main thing is really reinstalling a trial after it's ended or if I should purchase a license and then use Virtualbox for the testing.

4 minutes ago, Tremorguy said:

Using VirtualBox is totally fine also, the main thing is really reinstalling a trial after it's ended or if I should purchase a license and then use Virtualbox for the testing.

You won't be able to reset the trial with a reinstall, but you can extend the trial if you need more time to decide.

• 1 month later...