New builder

shrekfx

Hey all.  Like my header states, I'm a new builder.  I've built a couple PC's about 15 to 20 years ago and forgot half the stuff and have messed a little with Ubuntu about the same time ago.  I'm building a NAS for a few different reasons and I'm on the fence.  I am hoping for an un-biased opinion if possible.  The usage of my NAS is going to house my PLEX server and storage for my wife, who is a photographer.  I want her to be able to access her data while on the network and via remote if she is out and about (she likes her coffee and likes to edit in a coffee shop).  I don't want the read/write to be painful for her since these files can be kind of large.  I also want to be able to have a back up of my media files and her photos in case the main drives fail.  So here is where I'm on the fence.  I have been looking at TrueNAS Core and one of my company's network engineers mentioned unraid.  Well here I am.  

One thing I like about reading up on TruNAS was it's suppose to be fast in regards to read/write.  I heard it tends to be a pain for new people and that their community can be quite harsh.  Also that in a vdev, if one drive fails you can replace it, but if 2 fail at one time, you loose everything.

To be honest, I don't know a ton about unraid.

Thoughts on this?