VM Rejects Mouse Upgrade

Hi All,

I am using an old Evoluent Vertical 2 mouse in my Windows VM and it's identification number is: 2222:3061 as shown below. I now purchased a new Evoluent Vertical 5 Mouse and I honestly thought changing something as basic as a mouse in my Windows VM was going to be as easy as unplugging the old mouse and plugging in the new one. Nevertheless, UnRaid gives me an error message that reads "Can't find USB device 2222:3061 when I plug in the new Evoluent Vertical 5 Mouse.

What is the correct way to perform a Mouse upgrade to my Windows VM so the 2222:3061 ID number changes to the correct new Mouse ID number? I have gone to my Windows 10 VM template and I do not see a place where I could update the Mouse identification number. I hope such a hardware change does not mean I have to reinstall my entire Windows 10 VM all over again from scratch because that would be a lot of work.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.605238a4e90f8f57183a02ee40b3dbff.png

Edited by slipstream
5 hours ago, slipstream said:

Windows VM so the 2222:3061

This ID is vendor/product and could be different for the new mouse. Have you connected both at the same time?

They may be the same also, the VM template doesn't support devices with same vendor/product.

If you connect both try lsusb to see if you can see both of them.

The VM editor hides hardware no longer connected, but this is a PITA when you try and remove missing hardware from the config as you found out, the VM will fail to start if configured hardware is not available.

You need to go into the XML view and remove that section yourself to clear it, save, then try adding the mouse after.

12 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

The VM editor hides hardware no longer connected, but this is a PITA when you try and remove missing hardware from the config as you found out, the VM will fail to start if configured hardware is not available.

You need to go into the XML view and remove that section yourself to clear it, save, then try adding the mouse after.

Thanks to all for your postings. tjb_alt4 can you please clarify what you mean with PITA?  Not familiar with this acronym.  I will try what you advise. I'm going to go into the XML for the Windows10 VM and manually remove the 222:3061  then SAVE the change. Then disconnect the Vertical 2 mouse and plugin the Vertical 5 mouse followed by rebooting the Windows10 VM.  Hopefully, this will fix my problem.  Thanks again.

My USB Manager plugin can help with the pain in the .... Use slang word for rearend for the dots, as doesnt require usb mappings in vm template and can handle same vendor if required.

Have a look if the other suggestions dont work.

Edited by SimonF
  • Haha 1

Just rebuild the template from scratch pointing it at the original vdisk.

you can edit out the old ID and put the new one in using the XML editor but then you can’t use the template editor.

this will be much quicker than fiddling with it.

edit < it take me about a minute to fill out a new VM template now if I just need to change something for testing, I then add my custom XML edits later when I’m happy with the config >

also it is much better to pass a whole usb controller (even an add in one) as this enables simple hot plug support as you pass the whole controller to the VM.

Edited by gray squirrel
11 minutes ago, SimonF said:

You can define a port(s) in my plugin to hotplug into a vm withou passing the complete controller.

that’s a cool project as I struggle to pass my amd usb controllers on my 3900x. So I have a lot of unused ports. Can you post a link.

however the quickest way to fix this issue is just to start again with a new  VM template so nothing old is in there.

edit: is it this: 

if so I will take a look

Edited by gray squirrel
  • Like 1