Ubuntu Server VM always starts in safe mode

I saw this same question asked here in 2018 with no answer so I'm hoping someone can help in 2021 :-) Every time I reboot this VM or start it from power down it boots to safe mode and I have to enter ctrl-d on the keyboard to continue. It's been this way since about 2018 for me but my server is so stable I haven't cared until a recent road trip, some thunderstorms and my unraid server coming back up from UPS power down but my VM server stuck waiting for keyboard entry. 

Anyone have an suggestions on this? I seem to remember a suggestion concern root privs of something or another but it's been a long time.

THANKS!

OK, I scoured the hundreds of lines from the journalctl -xb command suggested at reboot time and I had apparently missed (or brushed off) a single line complaining about the inability to mount "shares", which is the Unraid share mountpoint configured in the setup xml. I never really considered that to be a problem because it always got mounted later anyway. So I decided to try adding "_netdev" to my fstab options setting on the Ubuntu server VM and it rebooted without a hitch the first try. I'll watch it over the next few weeks as I need to reboot naturally and if I find that didn't fix it, I'll report back. Otherwise, consider it fixed! 

Now off to fix the autostart setting in the bios so when my UPS shuts er down, everything will come back up after the power returns. 

Hope this helps someone else!