Can't copy files to USB drive with Krusader

So I watched Ed's how to video about setting things up with Krusader to copy some audiobook and movie files from my server to an Unassigned device - in this case about 100GBs of files to a 128GB Kingston USB drive. I want to send the files to my dad who's 82, lives abroad and owns a Mac - he's not great with tech (he thinks I'm a tech wizard, which is laughable, but all is relative) so I'd ideally like to send him a USB drive that's Mac formatted so he can easily make use of it for other things in future.

I assume I've missed something critical as when I try to copy just one folder, a red flagged dialogue box pops up saying:

Error--Krusader  ROOT PRIVILEGES

Could not make folder /2_Unraid_Unassigned/Kingston128/AgathaChristie

Obviously it's a folder of AgathaChristie audiobooks

Within Krusader I've checked the permissions for the USB drive which states that Owner and Group: Can View & Modify Content, while Others - Can Only View. User is nobody and Group is users

I've tried various things like reformatting the drive to MBR and back to GPT and tried exFAT and MacOS Extended (Journaled) fs - but nothing makes any difference, so as I said I've doubtless missed something fundamental.

Any ideas please?

PS I can transfer these files via my PC - I mean with the USB drive in the PC and the PC's file browser accessing the unraid shares, but the transfer time was very long and, in any case this is something I need to understand and fix to directly with unassigned devices as I'd like to send my dad whatever he needs.

Edited by awediohead
typo
  • awediohead changed the title to Can't copy files to USB drive with Krusader