New Build -> Replace QNAP NAS / Xeon Server / Gaming Laptop and Hackintosh

Cat_Seeder

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and casually contributing to @binhex rutorrent container.

I'm a Software Developer and have a huge mix of devices in a "home lab" environment. I got some extra budget this year and was thinking about replacing some of my stand-alone toys with a super-duper-hyper Unraid box.

Things that I want to replace:

1. QNAP NAS. Currently running 4x6TB WD Reds in RAID 10. Mainly used for storage, has a few docker containers running backup and mount jobs (mainly rclone stuff)

2. Old Xeon 2.2ghz server running openSUSE and Btrfs file system. It is running docker swarm (I'm willing to move to K8s) with a few dozen containers (some with several replicas). This is mainly used as a Media Server. It has a fleet of containers for, Plex, rTorrent / ruTorrent, NZBGet, Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, etc. It also runs Pi-Hole, a few small databases for my media software and development, (MariaDB, MongoDB, InfluxDB), OpenVPN (I'm willing to move to wireguard), Varken, Telegraf, Prometheus and Nginx reverse proxy. CPU usage is generally bellow 30%, but it lacks a good GPU and is starting to struggle when transcoding 4k video.

3. A Dual Boot Gaming / Hackintosh machine with a GTX 1070. I'm playing Triple AAA titles from 5+ years ago (Witcher 3, GTA V, Forza Horizon 4), and emulation (HyperSpin build with a currated 800 GB list). I boot macOS mainly for development and video editing.

I'll be keeping a Chromebook and a ThinkPad that will hopefully act only as dumb thin clients to the VMs in Unraid.

I was initially thinking about going with a Ryzen 9 5950x. A 6900 XT (I want an AMD Graphics Card that I can passthrough to the macOS VM). A Fast 2 TB NVMe SSD for the Windows and Hackintosh VMs and repurposing my WD RED drivers for storage.

The docker containers will always be running. Hopefully they will be running on top of Unraid itself. If I need an OS / GPU passthrough for the Plex Server I may have one VM always running (and in this case I'll also buy another, less powerful, GPU). The Gaming and Hackintosh VMs will not be run at the same time and I was thinking about a setup where I could passthrough the same 6900xt video and at least 8 cores for both of them.

For now I have no idea about cabinets, external enclosures, power supply, fans, etc.

Has something like this been attempted before? Can it be done? Any list of parts that could be shared?

Also, what would you use to remote in the gaming machine? Right now I'm using a combo of GameStream / Moonlight (requires an NVIDIA Card) and NoMachine (not great for gaming). I also had a terrible experience with parsec, so I don't really know what's the best way to remote in the VMs for gaming and heavy productivity work.

Budget: £3000 to £4000 (Can go a little higher if required).

• 2 weeks later...