Drives not spinning up quick enough

4 hours ago, Mr_Jay84 said:

I still have errors when the data drives are spinning up.

You have a fair number of HD's attached to this system.  I would be checking that +12V rail for the HD's has enough amperage to handle the spin-up current surge.  Figure around 2amp for each 5400rpm drives and 2.5amp for each 7200rpm drives.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:00 PM, Squid said:

the original version of the cable (non-locking) works better especially on WD drives

@Mr_Jay84, More info on this problem:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15954

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you have it configured for single rail 12V?

Good question, I'm unsure. I'll check it tomorrow as it's up in the attic.

31 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

After you replace those cables, double check that all SATA power and data cables are firmly seated together! 

I shall do that.

Post back again tomorrow with my findings. Thanks to all that have replied so far.

10 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

What!  Is that attic temperature controlled?   I had a quick look and at least one of those drives hit a temperature of 50C.  That is a bit hotter than most of us want a drive to ever see!  (<40C is where you want them.)

That was last year before I installed a plethora of fans lol. Rarely gets over 40c now on any of the drives. Most sit around 30c and below.

This is Scotland so we only have a few hot months out the year.

Edited by Mr_Jay84

Problem seems happen on all WD60EFRX-68M only and they connect cross two onboard SATA controller, other disks no such problem even same brand WDC.

Any common point for those WD60EFRX-68M ? i.e. same power chain, SATA cable type etc ....

Does this a new setup system or a used problem free system with Unraid ?

Do you have 3rd add on SAS/SATA controller for verify ?

21 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Problem seems happen on all WD60EFRX-68M only and they connect cross two onboard SATA controller, other disks no such problem even same brand WDC.

Any common point for those WD60EFRX-68M ? i.e. same power chain, SATA cable type etc ....

Does this a new setup system or a used problem free system with Unraid ?

Do you have 3rd add on SAS/SATA controller for verify ?

They're on different power chains although the same SATA cable type.
It's a problem free system. The drives were previously kept in full power mode because of this. I had tried to use power down a few months back.
No add on card at present but I'm looking into picking one up for the DAS project. 

Edited by Mr_Jay84

No joy. I'll try changing the SATA cables.

The other consideration is replacing some of the WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 drives with WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 drives. Apparently these are all the same drive model with different firmware.

There's two 68L0BN1 acting as a download cache. These have no issue when spinning up when tested and error free. I'll know more when the new cables come.

Edited by Mr_Jay84