[SOLVED] Wrong disk in slot after rebuild/reboot

2 hours ago, Alex.vision said:

Aug 17 15:03:00 Media unassigned.devices: Changing disk 'sda' UUID. Result:
Aug 17 15:03:57 Media unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX'...
Aug 17 15:03:57 Media emhttpd: shcmd (202422): /usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdab1 WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX
Aug 17 15:03:58 Media unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX'
Aug 17 15:03:58 Media kernel: XFS (dm-28): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 55c3e94c-c28a-4132-adb2-43d2ff58c702 - can't mount
Aug 17 15:03:58 Media unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Aug 17 15:03:58 Media unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' cannot be mounted.

That doesn't seem right. I wonder if UD can handle as many disks as you have for UUID. It seems to have tried to change UUID on sda (which is often though not always the flash drive), but the mount is for sdab1, which would be the first partition on sdab, not sda. And then it fails due to duplicate UUID again.

You may have to do the uuid change at the command line as in that other thread you linked.

After downloading the UD update (thanks for doing that @dlandon), I tried running the change UUID on new disk4.

Aug 23 09:49:19 Media emhttpd: shcmd (10921412): /usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdab1 sdab
Aug 23 09:49:38 Media unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/xfs_admin -U generate /dev/mapper/sdab) took longer than 10s!
Aug 23 09:49:38 Media unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdab' UUID. Result: command timed out

So still looks like a no go.  I took diagnostics and a syslog dump before and after I tried to implement the UUID change.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can do

time xfs_admin -U generate /dev/sdab1

So you don't need a stopwatch.

Because it is an encrypted disk, it has to be opened with cryptsetup.  That command won't work at the command line.

I see an issue with the luksOpen.  Let me take a look.

59 minutes ago, Alex.vision said:

After downloading the UD update (thanks for doing that @dlandon), I tried running the change UUID on new disk4.

Aug 23 09:49:19 Media emhttpd: shcmd (10921412): /usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdab1 sdab
Aug 23 09:49:38 Media unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/xfs_admin -U generate /dev/mapper/sdab) took longer than 10s!
Aug 23 09:49:38 Media unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdab' UUID. Result: command timed out

So still looks like a no go.  I took diagnostics and a syslog dump before and after I tried to implement the UUID change.

Thoughts?

I think the problem is the password/passphrase not working.  It's trying to use the Unraid password.  Go to the UD settings page and set the password there for the disk.  UD will then use that password to open the disk for the UUID change.  You should then be able to change the UUID.

OK, I placed my array password in the Set Encryption Disk Password for the selected disk, new disk4, then re-ran Change UUID, but I received the same error.

Aug 23 11:01:20 Media unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/xfs_admin -U generate /dev/mapper/sdab) took longer than 10s!
Aug 23 11:01:20 Media unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdab' UUID. Result: command timed out

after I set the password, the GUI refreshed but neither the syslog nor the page said any confirmation, not sure if it was supposed to. 

Edit: ok not quite the same error, it didn't have this line. 

Edited by Alex.vision
23 minutes ago, Alex.vision said:

OK, I placed my array password in the Set Encryption Disk Password for the selected disk, new disk4, then re-ran Change UUID, but I received the same error.

Aug 23 11:01:20 Media unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/xfs_admin -U generate /dev/mapper/sdab) took longer than 10s!
Aug 23 11:01:20 Media unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdab' UUID. Result: command timed out

after I set the password, the GUI refreshed but neither the syslog nor the page said any confirmation, not sure if it was supposed to. 

Edit: ok not quite the same error, it didn't have this line. 

Click on the check mark next to the partition mountpoint and see if the disk has issues.  I just tried on an encrypted disk and it worked for me.

OK here is the output

FS: crypto_LUKS

/sbin/xfs_repair -n /dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX 2>&1

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
- zero log...
totally zeroed log
- scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
- found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
- scan (but don't clear) agi unlinked lists...
- process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
- agno = 0
- agno = 1
- agno = 2
- agno = 3
- agno = 4
- agno = 5
- agno = 6
- agno = 7
- process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
- setting up duplicate extent list...
- check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
- agno = 0
- agno = 3
- agno = 6
- agno = 1
- agno = 7
- agno = 5
- agno = 4
- agno = 2
No modify flag set, skipping phase 5
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
- traversing filesystem ...
- traversal finished ...
- moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
Phase 7 - verify link counts...
Maximum metadata LSN (1:639318) is ahead of log (0:0).
Would format log to cycle 4.
No modify flag set, skipping filesystem flush and exiting.

I can't figure out why you are having the problem.  Your disk is designated /dev/sdab, which was an issue until the latest release of UD where I applied a fix for four letter disk designations.  I have done some testing to verify that the /dev/sdab is parsed correctly.

Is there any chance you can reformat the disk?  The commands to open an encrypted disk and change the UUID at the command line can be daunting.

The difficulty lies in that what were trying to figure out is, does one of my drives, old disk4 or new disk4 still work.  Old disk4 failed, was replaced by new disk4, during the rebuild at 99.8% complete, disk1 started having errors.  Now Unraid doesn't recognise new disk4 as having been installed ever. So we have been trying to mount both disks so I can verify if they contain any files.  At this point I don't know what steps should be taken to try and mount these disk. for verification.  I did mention earlier to others helping that I could move one of the disks to another Unraid server for mounting with UD, I'm not sure if that would help. 

Edited by Alex.vision

I moved new disk4 to a test server and tried to mount the drive. I tried mounting before I remembered it was encrypted. I added the encryption key and then tried to mount it again. This is the output I received.

ug 25 18:42:46 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX'...
Aug 25 18:42:46 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Using Unrqid api to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Aug 25 18:42:48 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX'
Aug 25 18:42:48 TempTestSrv kernel: /dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX: Can't open blockdev
Aug 25 18:42:48 TempTestSrv kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: 4.43.0-ioctl (2020-10-01) initialised: [email protected]
Aug 25 18:42:48 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX: special device /dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX does not exist. '
Aug 25 18:42:49 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' cannot be mounted.
Aug 25 18:43:39 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX'...
Aug 25 18:43:39 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Using disk password to open the 'crypto_LUKS' device.
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX'
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv kernel: SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, no debug enabled
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv kernel: XFS (dm-0): Mounting V5 Filesystem
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv kernel: XFS (dm-0): totally zeroed log
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv kernel: XFS (dm-0): Corruption warning: Metadata has LSN (1:639326) ahead of current LSN (1:0). Please unmount and run xfs_repair (>= v4.3) to resolve.
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv kernel: XFS (dm-0): log mount/recovery failed: error -22
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv kernel: XFS (dm-0): log mount failed
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. '
Aug 25 18:43:41 TempTestSrv unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX' cannot be mounted.

If you mean the check box next to the drive partition in UD, then yes I am able to run that, but I get an identical output to the one I ran before at dlandon's suggestion.

There is an option to " Run with correct flag", I could click that and run it again.

FS: crypto_LUKS

/sbin/xfs_repair -n /dev/mapper/WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VKGW28LX 2>&1

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
- zero log...
totally zeroed log
- scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
- found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
- scan (but don't clear) agi unlinked lists...
- process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
- agno = 0
- agno = 1
- agno = 2
- agno = 3
- agno = 4
- agno = 5
- agno = 6
- agno = 7
- process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
- setting up duplicate extent list...
- check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
- agno = 1
- agno = 3
- agno = 2
- agno = 0
- agno = 4
- agno = 5
- agno = 6
- agno = 7
No modify flag set, skipping phase 5
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
- traversing filesystem ...
- traversal finished ...
- moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
Phase 7 - verify link counts...
Maximum metadata LSN (1:639318) is ahead of log (0:0).
Would format log to cycle 4.
No modify flag set, skipping filesystem flush and exiting.

Edited by Alex.vision
  • Alex.vision changed the title to [SOLVED] Wrong disk in slot after rebuild/reboot