• 2 months later...
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

I've been reading Rajahal's builds for some time and it seems that I am ready to pull the trigger on building my on unRaid box. I've looked over all the builds and my requirements and feel that a 12 drive machine (with 2TB drives) will suffice me for awhile. I will be streaming all my media to a Raspberry Pi HTPC BTW

My requirements are as follows:

• Live TV: Serve as a DVR with TV tuners added (either using Tvheadend TV or saving shows from HDHomeRun Prime)
  • Transcoding: Transcode media to portable devices
  • Meta data: Automatically scrape movie, music and tv-series meta data
  • Storage: Store and backup media files with RAID capability
  • Streaming: Stream media to HTPC and other devices using SMB
  • Reliability: Provide peace of mind with minimal amount of maintenance
  • Energy efficiency: Consume as little power as possible
  • Applications I want to use: Sickbeard, SABnzbd, CouchPotato, Plex Media Server

My current build is listed below and was wondering if I should change anything...

MB: Biostar A880GZ

CPU: Sempron 145

RAM: G.SKILL F3-10600CL9S-2GBNS

PSU: Corsair CX430

Case: NZXT S210-001

HDD Cage: Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP

SATA Expansion Card: SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Geran

Hi all,

I've been reading Rajahal's builds for some time and it seems that I am ready to pull the trigger on building my on unRaid box. I've looked over all the builds and my requirements and feel that a 12 drive machine (with 2TB drives) will suffice me for awhile. I will be streaming all my media to a Raspberry Pi HTPC BTW

My requirements are as follows:

• Live TV: Serve as a DVR with TV tuners added (either using Tvheadend TV or saving shows from HDHomeRun Prime)
  • Transcoding: Transcode media to portable devices
  • Meta data: Automatically scrape movie, music and tv-series meta data
  • Storage: Store and backup media files with RAID capability
  • Streaming: Stream media to HTPC and other devices using SMB
  • Reliability: Provide peace of mind with minimal amount of maintenance
  • Energy efficiency: Consume as little power as possible
  • Applications I want to use: Sickbeard, SABnzbd, CouchPotato, Plex Media Server

My current build is listed below and was wondering if I should change anything...

MB: Biostar A880GZ

CPU: Sempron 145

RAM: G.SKILL F3-10600CL9S-2GBNS

PSU: Corsair CX430

Case: NZXT S210-001

HDD Cage: Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP

SATA Expansion Card: SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Geran

Might spring for a slightly larger PSU. There's only 28A on the 12V rail and I like to be closer to 40A for a little more comfort. Even with green disks.

Might spring for a slightly larger PSU. There's only 28A on the 12V rail and I like to be closer to 40A for a little more comfort. Even with green disks.

Other than that, does it look okay?

I like to buy mobos with a CPU and RAM that are all in the qualified vendors list from the mobo company. I'm assuming you've done that.

The biggest drawback in not using a 5 in 3 cage is the need for lots of molex splitters for individual disks, and thus the possibility for increase in issues with extra connections. 5 in 3 cages generally only require three power cables for the five disks. With fifteen disks, that's only a few splitters required. But that's my big thing; power.

The case looks to be a downright a winner in low cost. And if you're truly not going to expand beyond twelve disks (I said the same thing about fifteen...), then it's a good option.

I like to buy mobos with a CPU and RAM that are all in the qualified vendors list from the mobo company. I'm assuming you've done that.
I checked and everything works out except the RAM they recommend isn't anywhere to be found.

The biggest drawback in not using a 5 in 3 cage is the need for lots of molex splitters for individual disks, and thus the possibility for increase in issues with extra connections. 5 in 3 cages generally only require three power cables for the five disks. With fifteen disks, that's only a few splitters required. But that's my big thing; power.
That's a good point that I didn't think about. I wasn't big on the 5 to 3 from Norco but your reasoning makes since. I just checked the Norco 4 to 3 cage and it only requires two molex connections so I'll probably switch it to that.

The case looks to be a downright a winner in low cost. And if you're truly not going to expand beyond twelve disks (I said the same thing about fifteen...), then it's a good option.
I definitely won't be going over twelve drives as I am already thinking that might be too many for me lol

That's a good point that I didn't think about. I wasn't big on the 5 to 3 from Norco but your reasoning makes since. I just checked the Norco 4 to 3 cage and it only requires two molex connections so I'll probably switch it to that.

FYI - the Norco SS-400 only needs one molex connection.  The 2nd one is in case you have a redundant power supply.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk 2

FYI - the Norco SS-400 only needs one molex connection.  The 2nd one is in case you have a redundant power supply.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk 2

Thanks mate! I didn't know that...I just saw it said two connections and didn't realize one was redundant. :)
I would also consider using 3tb drives instead of 2tb drives. You can hit your desired size with fewer spinning spindles and this means less noise, heat, and energy usage overall.
Is there one drive you would recommend over another?  I've never looked at the reliability of the 3TB drives yet.
  • 1 month later...

Raj,

What case would you recommend for the 10-15 Drive Prototypes you have listed on your blog? The case currently listed is out of stock/discontinued.

Also do you only provide builds with AMD motherboard/CPUs or will you do an Intel build as well?

Sincerely,

Geran B.

Raj,

What case would you recommend for the 10-15 Drive Prototypes you have listed on your blog? The case currently listed is out of stock/discontinued.

Also do you only provide builds with AMD motherboard/CPUs or will you do an Intel build as well?

Sincerely,

Geran B.

If you check out the link in my signature you can see the builds that we currently offer.  We can also build a machine to any specs you like, using any parts you like.

All our current builds are intel based and use the Nexus Prominent 9 or Antec 1200.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Raj

I have a Norco-4224 and as expected it sounds like a jet taking off, so I've purchased the replacement fans and fanplate you had recommended on the Greenleaf site:

Fanplate: Norco 120mm fanplate *optional

Fans: (replacing the stock fans is optional, but recommended if quiet performance is desired)

•Nexus PWM Series D12SL-12PWM 120mm Case Fan x 3 *optional

•ARCTIC COOLING ACF8 Pro PWM 80mm Case Fan x 2 *optional

My question is how best to plug these PWM fans in. I have an ASUS AM3 motherboard that has 2 3PIN connections, but all 5 purchased fans have the 4PIN connections. I've read that I can plug the 4PIN connections into the 3PIN ports, but lose fan control (which I don't know if you want reduced fan speed in the 4224 to begin with).

So, I have 2 questions for you:

1) When you build these machines do you typically use 3PIN motherboard connections, or are there adapters you can purchase to manage these properly? Or do you only use motherboards that support the 4PIN.

2) Do you have recommendations on splitting the PWM connections? As you likely know, the original fanplate on the Norco-4224 has fan connectors that tie into a single MOLEX connection, whereas the replacement fanplate has none of that. I am having problems finding good splitter cables to support these 3 120mm fans.

Thanks

Bill

1) When you build these machines do you typically use 3PIN motherboard connections, or are there adapters you can purchase to manage these properly? Or do you only use motherboards that support the 4PIN.

We use the Supermicro X9SCM-F-O and X9SCM-iiF motherboards. 

2) Do you have recommendations on splitting the PWM connections? As you likely know, the original fanplate on the Norco-4224 has fan connectors that tie into a single MOLEX connection, whereas the replacement fanplate has none of that. I am having problems finding good splitter cables to support these 3 120mm fans.

We usually plug the two back fans into a single motherboard port using a splitter.  The 3 front fans end up with there own motherboard port.  If you need a splitter for yours I would suggest getting as many of these as you need.

We use the Supermicro X9SCM-F-O and X9SCM-iiF motherboards. 

We usually plug the two back fans into a single motherboard port using a splitter.  The 3 front fans end up with there own motherboard port.  If you need a splitter for yours I would suggest getting as many of these as you need.

Thanks for the input. Am I correct that I am okay plugging these 4PIN fans into the 3PIN ports on the motherboard? Does this just make the fans run at 100% all the time?

If I am splitting into 3PIN motherboard connections are there any limits to the number of splits I should use (I've seen 3-to-1 and 4-to-1 4PIN splitters). Since I have 5 fans and only 2 motherboard 3PIN connections I need to split the two back fans as you mention, but need to get the 3 120mm fans on a single connection as well.