3) INSTALL REDIS

a) Install redis from CA. I used the one from:
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/69490-support-jj9987-redis/

b) Change its name to the following:

photonix_redis

c) Modify the Network Type to the network created before:

Network Type: Custom: photonix_net

4) INSTALL PHOTONIX

a) Install photonix from CA. I used the from here ;-)

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/112590-support-cedev-photonix/

b) Adjust the path to the photos. By default, it is:

/mnt/user

c) Set the django secret hash to by using https://www.gaijin.at/en/tools/password-generator-extended with 128 characters

Edited by cedev
Inconsistencies in naming
  • Like 2

Hey thanks for this, I just got this setup as I've been pretty unhappy with Photoprism's mobile app not getting updated/working with some new backend changes and only being accessible from a constantly broken Testflight link. Also I don't feel warm and fuzzy it will keep getting updated when it specifically states it's just a hobby.

Some notes:

• Steps 1,4,9 you call the network 'private' but later use it as 'privnet'. Personally I just called it 'photonix'.
  • For the postgres container I suggest changing the data storage path because it's just something like /mnt/disk1/appdata/postgres/ by default and could conflict with other containers if you use more than one DB. I set it to /mnt/disk1/appdata/photonix_postgres11/

Not an issue with any of this process per se, but I tried adding an additional mount point (photos_photonix_import) and letting Photonix have a separate import folder as it asked me during the initial setup page, but it seems to just ignore that folder entirely and not import from it.

Thanks again! So far this seems a bit early in the life of the app, but I like how responsive the devs are, it's got a mobile app, and some neat features. A lot of promise here.

• Like 1

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. I was also eyeing at photoprism; I'm glad I waited a bit before setting it up.

I'll update the guide with your suggestions. ;-)

I am surprised for the import folder but I must admit that I didn't try it myself.

Thanks

Do the multiple classification-processes work for you? Object-, face- and style-classification all crash in my case and end with a "FATAL"-Log-Output.

I used another Redis-Container an now it works.
Before i used the one from A75G, that didn't work

The two from "Bungy" and "jj9987" just work.

Edited by Borbosch
SOLVED
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, keiser said:

Hey thanks for this, I just got this setup as I've been pretty unhappy with Photoprism's mobile app not getting updated/working with some new backend changes and only being accessible from a constantly broken Testflight link. Also I don't feel warm and fuzzy it will keep getting updated when it specifically states it's just a hobby.

Some notes:

• Steps 1,4,9 you call the network 'private' but later use it as 'privnet'. Personally I just called it 'photonix'.
  • For the postgres container I suggest changing the data storage path because it's just something like /mnt/disk1/appdata/postgres/ by default and could conflict with other containers if you use more than one DB. I set it to /mnt/disk1/appdata/photonix_postgres11/

Not an issue with any of this process per se, but I tried adding an additional mount point (photos_photonix_import) and letting Photonix have a separate import folder as it asked me during the initial setup page, but it seems to just ignore that folder entirely and not import from it.

Thanks again! So far this seems a bit early in the life of the app, but I like how responsive the devs are, it's got a mobile app, and some neat features. A lot of promise here.

Just wanted to let you know that I've made a PR that fixes the 'manage.py create_library' command to let it create a custom path library and it got pushed to the latest v0.22.0 release :) 

On 9/4/2021 at 6:10 PM, Alphahelix said:

I can't seem to get it to work.

I followed your guide, and I can log in.

But once I log in I can't see any photos at all, not even JPEG.

via console I can see data has photos in it, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

This seems to be a problem with the initial scanning of a library. Just restart the docker container and it'll start processing the images.

@cedev - Thank you for posting this template! Really appreciate it and also made a PR to fix object and face recognition for rotated photos (like selfies), so should pick up even more photos.

For anyone who tries to run a second Redis instance on unraid and can't figure out how to change ports like I encountered, just run inside the container the following command after switching ports: `redis-cli -p {port}`

Edited by uraid
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a default user name and password? Mine never asked me to set one up, and it shows demo/demo and the user/password....but when I try to log in it just says "loading..." and never does anything. When I pull up the logs it shows that it is importing my photos so I'm sure its running.

Nevermind, saw where you can change it in "more settings" while setting up the container.

Edited by GateCityRadio

One thing to note. In your guide you never said to add the Photonix container to your photonix_net Docker network.

I set a username and password in the Docker settings, but it just stays at loading every time I log in. I've tried restarting the container with no change. It is pointed at a directory with 15 photos for testing, so it shouldn't be taking too long to load them I'd assume. I cannot even log in when I run the container in demo mode.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Im getting stuck on login page too. I have seen that user: admin password: admin. All it does is load after that. Is it supposed to take a while for it to load? 

Ok, I got mine working. Some reason in my logs, it was saying that photonix password for postgres was wrong. After copying and pasting a few times. I finally got it working. 

Still not sure why it started working. But it is. Seems to be decent program so far.

Thanks for the install tutorial!

Edited by Aage
  • 1 month later...

Please, I'm trying to seek some help.

I have got this container running, but after setup when I got back to the login page it flashes up for a second then disappears.

I've reinstalled multiple times, cleared postgres and redis, reinstalled all dependencies.

I can login initially and setup Photonix, then next login the login screen flashes up for a second then disappears again. This happens from then on each time the login is accessed.

The logs don't seem to show any errors, shows postgres connected.

I've tried accessing from different browsers, InPrivate mode, different client workstations, same login prompt flashes up for a second then is gone.

Its quite irritating and I cannot find what is the matter.

Can anyone help?

• 1 month later...

So after a lot of trial and error I've discovered where i was going wrong and i hope to help others.  If you install the wrong database and have to go back and fix it like i did you will need to remove all the appdata folders associated and start over.  This can be done in terminal by navigating to the directory with cd /mnt/user/appdata then asking for the list using ls then following up with rm -rfv (Folder name here no parentheses).  

I'm new to unraid so I'm still learning.  I hope my 6+ hours of figuring out what the hell i did wrong can help someone else in the future.  I got a preview of photonix before it broke because of the wrong DB and it looks amazing.  Exactly what i was looking for.  I'm excited for my photos to finish processing and to see what it all looks like. 

One thing, I'm not sure how you could make it happen or if its something i need to do... but... My processor is PINNED at 100% on initializing.  Its a lot of data to sort and process so I'm not surprised but limiting it would be ideal.  This seems like its going to take a day at least to run and I'm worried about it being 100% for that long.  I'll keep an eye on it of course but just a thought.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the detailed "how to", and all the posts below it, it was really helpful for a noob like me. 

After running I had this one warning in logs:

2022-05-25 16:10:28,913 WARNING  Limited tf.compat.v2.summary API due to missing TensorBoard installation.
2022-05-25 16:10:28,930 WARNING  Limited tf.summary API due to missing TensorBoard installation.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:32 AM, steve0yea said:

My processor is PINNED at 100% on initializing

Had exactly the same thing when the classifying of the photos started. 

On 9/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, uraid said:

This seems to be a problem with the initial scanning of a library. Just restart the docker container and it'll start processing the images.

At first run I also experienced an empty screen with no photos. Waiting a few minutes did not bring a change. But a reset and waiting did the job.

At first this looked very optimistic, but still is very premature. After reading the blog of Photonix author I don't feel confident that this project will evolve quickly. I will have to get back to photoprism.

Question to all:

I have followed the steps from the first post to install Photonix. How to properly undo them? So that I leave no mess in my system? Unistaling a docker seems easy, but I gues this will leave some data/records/anything left behid?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie on Unraid, but have everything all up and running and am loving it. I was researching photo management applications on Unraid and Photonix seems well regarded. I followed all the above excellent instructions but just get a server error when trying to run the Photonix docker. I have checked the logs on the redis and the postgres and these dockers seem to be running fine and awaiting connections.

Turning to the Photonix docker the only area I wanted to check was the line:

docker network create --subnet=192.168.255.0/24 photonix_net

Is the IP address used the one I should use or is there a local address I should be using e.g. the IP of my server, my gateway etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 6 months later...

I've tried installing photonix on my unraid server using the docker app available. I selected my photos folder on the sever and otherwise went with the default settings. I can't connect to the server using http://localhost:8080. I've tried changing the port settings to no avail. Looking at the logs it seems I'm getting this error at every login. 

photonix_postgres11: forward host lookup failed: Unknown host
Postgres is unavailable - sleeping

Unsure as to why. I will uninstall the docker app and try the manual install. 

• 1 month later...

I installed Photonix but I haven't been able to get it to work.  I'm pretty sure I was able to configure and get through the initial set up, but I just get a blank page when I go to the webUI.  Checking the logs I seem to be getting the following error about a missing "Tensorboard" installation over and over.  Did I miss something that I was supposed to install?

2023-02-13_19-24-19.png

• 2 months later...

I just installed and get the same thing. I see that my postgresql database is populated with tables, so it made the connection. The redis documentation is lacking and I cannot get that to work. Sitting here with a blank login screen too. Maybe I bag this app, but I want a multi user app. Dang it.

• 2 months later...