Nothing plays after moving from share to share with Krusader

I'm migrating my data from my current Plex server to my new unraid server.

I realized I put some tv shows in my Movies share. I installed the Krusader and moved the tv shows folders from my Movies share to my TV Shows share. Everything is still playing fine in the Movies share, but anything that I just moved to the TV Shows share with Krusader won't play at all. Did I do something wrong?

I'm migrating my data from my current Plex server to my new unraid server.

I realized I put some tv shows in my Movies share. I installed the Krusader Docker and moved the tv shows folders from my Movies share to my TV Shows share. Everything is still playing fine in the Movies share, but anything that I just moved to the TV Shows share with Krusader won't play at all. Did I do something wrong?

I have merged your threads. Please don't post multiple threads about the same issue. It makes it impossible to coordinate replies. Cross-posting has been considered a bad thing on message boards since before the World Wide Web.

If you think your original thread hasn't received the attention it deserves after a reasonable time, post again in the same thread so it will be seen as a recent unread thread. This is known as "bumping". People will often just make a new post that says "bump".

12 hours ago, itimpi said:

Chances are you messed up the permissions on the files.

Run Tools->New Permissions against the share in question and it should fix any permissions issues.

That did not fix the issue. I ran it on the TV Shows share since that's the share with the files that won't play. This kind of thing is the reason why I wanted to just run a Windows VM with Plex in it. Running on Linux seems so hacky and nothing ever works how it's supposed to. All want to do is move files, the most basic thing in computers.

Is there something I should do in the Docker container or on the array?

8 hours ago, trurl said:

Are you sure there isn't something wrong with the files? Can you copy them to another computer and open them with an appropriate application?

There was nothing wrong with the files, they still work at the source, they worked when I initially moved them to the Movies share, they stopped working when I used Krusader to move them to the TV Shows share. After that move, none of them will play.

Edited by Squirreljester
On 8/20/2021 at 6:41 AM, JonathanM said:

If you make a copy of the moved file back to a local machine, do they still play?

There was nothing wrong with the files before the move. I moved one of the files back to the source, and was still broken. I moved the file to my windows machine, still didn't work. I even took ownership of the file and it still wouldn't play. Whatever Krusader did to my files it did it completely. I ended up just deleting them and re-copying them.

You didn't make this mistake????

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/32836-user-share-copy-bug/#comment-316512

Basically, you are copying a file on top of itself.   

This 'bug' still exists but LimeTech has taken great pains to make it difficult for the average user to get himself into a situation where he can do it.  However, it is almost trivial to set up Krusader to be able to do it!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

You didn't make this mistake????

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/32836-user-share-copy-bug/#comment-316512

Basically, you are copying a file on top of itself.   

This 'bug' still exists but LimeTech has taken great pains to make it difficult for the average user to get himself into a situation where he can do it.  However, it is almost trivial to set up Krusader to be able to do it!

Interesting. There's a lot I don't understand there, but it kind of sounds like what was done. Although I wasn't copying files on top of themselves, I was copying into empty folders.

So is this a Krusader problem or an unraid problem?

i'm curious about this because I think this is a very common scenario. I move files between disks quite a lot, and i have created new shares and moved files to the new shares also.

I used Krusader, unbalance and MC for moving files.

the last time i moved files between disks because i was removing a disk from my array.

over the next several file integrity checks i had warnings about quite many files with corruption. however i shrugged it off because the files were still working as far as i could tell.

i know we should never move files from shares to disks, but now i'm wondering is there any "correct" way for manually moving files within the array?

@JorgeB, @limawaken, with the Krusader Docker, it is very possible and easy to set it up so that the 'Disk Shares' and the 'User Shares' are both accessible--- Just modify the default Container Path (or add a new one for /mnt).  And, furthermore, If one is not aware of the problem, it very easy to open a Disk Share in one pane and a User Share in the other pane.  At a quick glance, the path looks identical and so everything is now in place to do a Disk_Share-to-User_Share operation.  A quick selection of files in one pane, a drag to the other pane, and the damage is done--- if both the old location and the new location is on the same physical disk. 

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

not a problem if you only use disk shares

will there be any problem moving files from user_share to user-share?

i don't think i have experienced any corruption but just asking in case it's not the recommended practice... I noticed that when doing this, unraid actually doesn't move the files from the disk. unraid just creates the new user_share on the same disk the original files are on and moves the files there. even if the disk was excluded in the share settings. after that i would have to do a disk-to-disk move so the share goes onto the correct disk.

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

it very easy to open a Disk Share in one pane and a User Share in the other pane

i see what you mean

4 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

<<  SNIP  >>>   Disk shares are disabled by default.    << SNIP >>

...to being exported.  They are still there when you are working at the OS level and that is where the problem comes up.  As I recall, LimeTech wrote a special function which handles the file aggregation for User Shares.  To the Linux OS, these User Shares appear as a separate 'device'.  (Think of it as being a 'logical' disk.)  Hence, when the underlying Linux OS is doing file operations, it thinks that this logical disk is physically different from the actual physical disk.  It will use the rules that it has for file operations for different physical devices which are different than the rules for file operations on the same physical disk.  When the file in User Share is on the same physical disk as the Disk Share, the wrong set of rules is going to be applied! 

37 minutes ago, limawaken said:

noticed that when doing this, unraid actually doesn't move the files from the disk. unraid just creates the new user_share on the same disk the original files are on and moves the files there. even if the disk was excluded in the share settings.

Click on the link I gave above, where I already described this other scenario to be aware of with user shares.

2 hours ago, Squirreljester said:

used Krusader docker to move files between those shares

As long as you didn't move from a user share to a disk or a disk to a user share then what we were discussing doesn't apply. Typically the result of the "user share copy bug" is a file with size zero. Are your problem files size zero?

• Like 1