[Support] Audiobookshelf

Hey, i just recently installed the Server. Sofar it runs ok. 
Two things i saw:

- For some reason the library kicked all my pictures after deleting a book. At first i thought i would have to delete the database but i found, that for some reason the server added a "._" infrontof the filname (or was it "_." ?, something like that). Eg.  /audiobook/author/book/._bookpicture.jpg, after removing "._" the pictures were fine again.  Uploading a picture did not work for me. 

- The mobile app crashes on me (when trying to open) , since i added a download folder. Before that it worked like a charm. 

Question: will the sever work via https (ssl certificate via nginx?)

greets and thanks for such a nice programm!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, midgardkrieger said:

For some reason the library kicked all my pictures after deleting a book. At first i thought i would have to delete the database but i found, that for some reason the server added a "._" infrontof the filname (or was it "_." ?, something like that). Eg.  /audiobook/author/book/._bookpicture.jpg, after removing "._" the pictures were fine again.  Uploading a picture did not work for me. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "kicked" your pictures. Also, when you say you deleted a book does this mean you removed it from audiobookshelf or you deleted the directory in your file system?

Audiobookshelf has no function that renames files, so I'm not sure that rename was coming from audiobookshelf. If you search and select a cover (or have auto-download covers on), the cover will always be named "cover.jpg" or "cover.png".

Can you elaborate on uploading did not work for you?

10 minutes ago, midgardkrieger said:

The mobile app crashes on me (when trying to open) , since i added a download folder. Before that it worked like a charm. 

Is this recent and with the latest version? This is a known issue, but I still haven't seen a crash log report.

13 minutes ago, midgardkrieger said:

Question: will the sever work via https (ssl certificate via nginx?)

Yes it works, a user that set that up shared their config: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf#nginx-reverse-proxy

6 hours ago, advplyr said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "kicked" your pictures. Also, when you say you deleted a book does this mean you removed it from audiobookshelf or you deleted the directory in your file system?

Audiobookshelf has no function that renames files, so I'm not sure that rename was coming from audiobookshelf. If you search and select a cover (or have auto-download covers on), the cover will always be named "cover.jpg" or "cover.png".

Can you elaborate on uploading did not work for you?

Is this recent and with the latest version? This is a known issue, but I still haven't seen a crash log report.

Yes it works, a user that set that up shared their config: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf#nginx-reverse-proxy

Sorry for my missleading word choice. 

I mean, that after i deleted a book from the shelf, all pictures of all books did disappear. With uploading i mean the upload Cover -funktion in the Booksettings. But at the moment it seems to work again. 

Thank you for the link with the settings, i will try that tonight! 

As for the crash report, i sent one yesterday via the "send crash report" function of the google playstore. I am not sure if this actually sends a crash report (log file) or just the message i wrote.  Let me know how to create a propper crash report and i will try to send one. 

‐---------------------------------!!

I have one more suggestion or lets call it function request, at the moment, which i think would be very benefitial, especially for those of us with lower bandwidth. 

It would be great to have an option to set the streaming codec and the bitrate for the Books. Eg. AAC+ at 96 kb/s. 

Even better would be, if one could choose the streaming settings group wise. Eg, creating a group with normal Audiobooks (narrative only), where we could set a lower quality setting and maybe a group for audioplays (radioplays), they quite often have atmo and sound fx, with a higher bit rate. 

I know this would mean on the fly conversion and would require good hardware, but as an optional function this would be great. And could also reduce the download size to the mobile device drasticly.

Again, thanks for your great wokrk, i at the moment sort all my audiobooks into the folder structure and just love it. Greets

-----------------------------!

Edited by midgardkrieger
3 hours ago, midgardkrieger said:

As for the crash report, i sent one yesterday via the "send crash report" function of the google playstore. I am not sure if this actually sends a crash report (log file) or just the message i wrote.  Let me know how to create a propper crash report and i will try to send one. 

I'm not sure actually, I thought google play just sent them automatically and they show in the dashboard for me. If I find out more info I'll get back to you on this one.

3 hours ago, midgardkrieger said:

It would be great to have an option to set the streaming codec and the bitrate for the Books. Eg. AAC+ at 96 kb/s. 

Even better would be, if one could choose the streaming settings group wise. Eg, creating a group with normal Audiobooks (narrative only), where we could set a lower quality setting and maybe a group for audioplays (radioplays), they quite often have atmo and sound fx, with a higher bit rate. 

I'll need to get my hands on some high quality audioplays to play around with this. Do you know of a source to get these for free?

All audio right now is transcoded to 2 channel, do you know if these audioplays are 6 channels?

12 hours ago, advplyr said:

I'm not sure actually, I thought google play just sent them automatically and they show in the dashboard for me. If I find out more info I'll get back to you on this one.

I'll need to get my hands on some high quality audioplays to play around with this. Do you know of a source to get these for free?

All audio right now is transcoded to 2 channel, do you know if these audioplays are 6 channels?

The ones that i listen, i think, actually are also just stero down mixes. Some of them are binaural but not ambisonic. so i think most audioplays out there especially on Audible or spotify are meant to be listened to by "average people" via headphones. So Stereo should be fine. But that is just my opinion on that. 

I think you can download some good, multi channel files (ambisonic) on the rode website. They used them to advertise their NT-FS1 (guess that was the name).  (here you should find them https://de.rode.com/soundfieldplugin#footer_download ). But as i just said, i think Stereo is just fine for 95% of the people out there.  

Greetings from Munich.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I saw on your github that you're not accepting donations as yet, so I'll hold off on that for a while. 

Just got this up and running an hour ago, already I'm loving the library layout and the ease of use of it all. Miles and miles better than running it through my plex library. Much love to you. 

I can't wait to follow this application and see where it goes. I'm using the Android app as well, everything seems to just work. (Well, as soon as I ticked the right options in NPM :D

Kudos man, this is great stuff. 

• Thanks 1

Err.. I may be missing something obvious here. 

Once I got the system up and running, I was made aware of some naming issues, missing serialization in my folders and some outright flaws in my files. 

So after renaming, reordering and general fixer-uppery I did I a rescan of the library.

Now most of the embedded artwork has decided to disappear, and the "download artwork if missing" option didn't resolve it, either. What's worse is that it remembers the now-deleted directories where files used to be stored, incorrectly. 

How do I force it to let go of now-deleted stuff? :)

18 minutes ago, Froberg said:

Err.. I may be missing something obvious here. 

Once I got the system up and running, I was made aware of some naming issues, missing serialization in my folders and some outright flaws in my files. 

So after renaming, reordering and general fixer-uppery I did I a rescan of the library.

Now most of the embedded artwork has decided to disappear, and the "download artwork if missing" option didn't resolve it, either. What's worse is that it remembers the now-deleted directories where files used to be stored, incorrectly. 

How do I force it to let go of now-deleted stuff? :)

First I want to note that audiobookshelf never deletes or modifies your files. Covers are stored in /metadata/books unless you toggle the setting to store the cover art in your audiobook directory.

When you say deleted directories are you saying you deleted directories then re-scanned? Or that on the re-scan the directory is no longer linked to the audiobook in your library?

When you say the artwork disappeared are you saying it is no longer in the audiobook folder, or that audiobookshelf just doesn't see it anymore?

You can remove audiobooks from your library by clicking the remove button in the edit modal. You can also reset entirely and remove all audiobooks with the button in the config page.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, advplyr said:

First I want to note that audiobookshelf never deletes or modifies your files. Covers are stored in /metadata/books unless you toggle the setting to store the cover art in your audiobook directory.

When you say deleted directories are you saying you deleted directories then re-scanned? Or that on the re-scan the directory is no longer linked to the audiobook in your library?

When you say the artwork disappeared are you saying it is no longer in the audiobook folder, or that audiobookshelf just doesn't see it anymore?

You can remove audiobooks from your library by clicking the remove button in the edit modal. You can also reset entirely and remove all audiobooks with the button in the config page.

Resetting the library fixed it. 

It kept trying to find files in folders I had deleted. 

It decided to remove the cover art for almost the entire library. Some it downloaded instead. But it seemed to suddenly decide to ignore the embedded covers, despite them working previously. 

If I delete an audiobook folder, will I then need to manually remove it from ABS too? :)

8 minutes ago, Froberg said:

If I delete an audiobook folder, will I then need to manually remove it from ABS too? :)

Yes, this is because the scanner & folder watcher doesn't know for sure whether you deleted it or it got moved or maybe some random file system issue and it wasn't detected. In that case if it removed the audiobook you would lose any metadata you adjusted or entered in manually.

This could change in the future, but for now I think it best to play it safe.

Edited by advplyr
  • Like 2

Hi,

great work. But i have two things for you:

- When i search on the Match-Tab for the Meta-Infos of the Audiobook, they are stored in the database.

Is there a way to write the mp3 tag based on this informations?

- Is it possible to assign to a collection when more then on e audiobook is selected?

Thanx a lot.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Chiacomo said:

Hi,

great work. But i have two things for you:

- When i search on the Match-Tab for the Meta-Infos of the Audiobook, they are stored in the database.

Is there a way to write the mp3 tag based on this informations?

- Is it possible to assign to a collection when more then on e audiobook is selected?

Thanx a lot.

There is not yet a way to change the tags on your audio files. I haven't landed on a good solution for that yet. There is an open issue on github that I will be posting on for any updates to that https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf/issues/141. You can subscribe to notifications on that thread if you are interested.

I just released v1.6.30 that supports batch adding/removing books from collections. When selecting multiple books you will see it with the other batch icons in the top-right.

• Like 1

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer. I will subscribe to the notifications.

One more thing i found.

Every time i add a new audiobook by manually moving the files to the directory or uploading it over the web ui, i have to go to the preferences menu and select the library to rescan. Is there a way to do automatic or scheduled

scan?

Greetings

Edited by Chiacomo

Hi,

sry, i found one more thing. When accessing the app over a reverse proxy like NginX there are

many problems.

I use NginX as reverse proxy to access my local hosted services from the outside. During my

work, i found that several functions (backup, creating a new series, etc) are not working

when they are accessed through a reverse proxy. Using a reverse proxy is a standard way

to make services available.

Can you check this plz?

Greetings

On 11/28/2021 at 12:55 AM, Chiacomo said:

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer. I will subscribe to the notifications.

One more thing i found.

Every time i add a new audiobook by manually moving the files to the directory or uploading it over the web ui, i have to go to the preferences menu and select the library to rescan. Is there a way to do automatic or scheduled

scan?

Greetings

This was a bug I fixed in the latest version v1.6.31

I also have a reverse proxy.

Unraid server.

System just spins and never starts streaming.  I updated my nginx config file as suggested and there was no change.  Audiobooks play using internal IP but just spins when accessing using sub domain/reverse proxy.....

This AudioBookShelf is a much needed server and a long time coming.  The ease of use, auto bookmarking all get very high marks.  Once the bugs are out it doesn't take a genius to know this should become very popular.  Long time self-hosting user looking forward to the servers development and growth.  KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Edited by Mystic
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mystic said:

I also have a reverse proxy.

Unraid server.

System just spins and never starts streaming.  I updated my nginx config file as suggested and there was no change.  Audiobooks play using internal IP but just spins when accessing using sub domain/reverse proxy.....

This AudioBookShelf is a much needed server and a long time coming.  The ease of use, auto bookmarking all get very high marks.  Once the bugs are out it doesn't take a genius to know this should become very popular.  Long time self-hosting user looking forward to the servers development and growth.  KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Thanks for your support, the project has come so far in just a few months with all the contributors.

The problem is the websocket is not connecting, and we don't have great documentation for this yet. A few people got their setup working with reverse proxy and are helping out in the Github discussions. https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf/discussions/126#discussioncomment-1526384

This one is not nginx but could be helpful https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf-app/issues/36

I will be adding an alert to show when the websocket is not connected, that is one thing throwing people off.

I wanted to report that my service is working after trying and failing at every mentioned configuration file listed in all the documents and discussions.  The first change I noticed was while I was attempting different configurations a "error socket message" started popping up in red which was NEW code.  When I left nothing still worked, so I cleared everything and re-installed the docker.  With a new docker install and a new SSL cert/config file, I left for the day at 4:pm without testing, then returned home at 10:pm.  The socket issue was resolved and I can only assume the developer(s) fixed it.

I have done nothing different on the new install, so I assume the code has been updated/improved.  I've said it before and I will say it again...  keep up the great work!

So audiobookshelf is working using the default settings and here is my setup.

Installed on Unraid 6.9

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) , Version Rev X.0x
American Megatrends Inc., Version 2702

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 3800 MHz

NginxProxyManager generated config file which is NOW working.

Proxy setup - websockets Support enabled nothing else

- SSL generated but I didn't enable Force SSL

When is comes to the Nginx Proxy Manager I most likely can also enable cache Assets and Block common Exploits but it is working for now so I will hold off.  I also normally Force SSL but haven't as of yet... again I will enjoy the server for awhile before updating my config file.

I just wanted to explain my setup in case it helps anyone. Server is working.

Edited by Mystic
  • Thanks 1

Hm, latest update is causing streams to fail to run. This file and other were running fine up until this update. 

Config /config /metadata /audiobooks
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.659Z] INFO: === Starting Server ===
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.659Z] INFO: [Server] Init v1.6.36
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.665Z] INFO: [DB] 0 Collections Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.666Z] INFO: [DB] 0 Authors Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.705Z] INFO: [DB] 1 Users Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.706Z] INFO: [DB] 1 Libraries Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.750Z] INFO: [DB] 31 Audiobooks Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.751Z] INFO: [Db] Root user exists, pw: false
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.753Z] INFO: [BackupManager] 0 Backups Found
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.753Z] INFO: [BackupManager] Auto Backups are disabled
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.756Z] INFO: [LogManager] Init current daily log filename: 2021-12-06.txt
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.759Z] INFO: [Watcher] Initializing watcher for "Main".
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.769Z] INFO: Running on http://0.0.0.0:80
[2021-12-06T20:23:05.147Z] INFO: [Watcher] "Main" Ready
[2021-12-06T20:23:11.648Z] INFO: [SOCKET] Socket Connected tZaBHbIFV8uOwHmvAAAB
[2021-12-06T20:23:11.650Z] INFO: User has stream open already str_r9fo90gk20vacov0zs
[2021-12-06T20:23:11.650Z] ERROR: Invalid user stream id str_r9fo90gk20vacov0zs

[2021-12-06T20:23:13.763Z] INFO: [StreamManager] Open Stream Request tZaBHbIFV8uOwHmvAAAB ab_lb3y6aqclf613tb6r6
[2021-12-06T20:23:13.765Z] INFO: [STREAM] User has progress for audiobook 0.023 Time Remaining: 104982.87154200002s
[2021-12-06T20:23:13.788Z] INFO: [STREAM] START STREAM - Num Segments: 17913
[2021-12-06T20:23:13.791Z] INFO: Stream Opened for client root for audiobook The Eye of the World with streamId str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q
[2021-12-06T20:23:13.794Z] INFO: [STREAM] Starting Stream at startTime 41:01.0 (User startTime 41:31.0) and Segment #410
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.115Z] INFO: [INFO] FFMPEG transcoding started with command: ffmpeg -seek_timestamp 1 -f concat -safe 0 -ss 1369.8s -noaccurate_seek -i /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/files.txt -y -loglevel error -map 0:a -c:a copy -f hls -copyts -avoid_negative_ts make_non_negative -max_delay 5000000 -max_muxing_queue_size 2048 -hls_time 6 -hls_segment_type mpegts -start_number 410 -hls_playlist_type vod -hls_list_size 0 -hls_allow_cache 0 -hls_segment_filename /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/output-%d.ts /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/final-output.m3u8

[2021-12-06T20:23:14.116Z] INFO:
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.130Z] INFO: [concat @ 0x14f40025c640] Impossible to open 'The Eye of the World/02 Chapter 1_ An Empty Road.mp3'
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.130Z] INFO: /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/files.txt: No such file or directory
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.131Z] INFO:
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.132Z] ERROR: Ffmpeg Err "ffmpeg exited with code 1: /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/files.txt: No such file or directory

"
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.132Z] INFO: Closing Stream str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.137Z] INFO: Deleted session data /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q
[2021-12-06T20:26:34.158Z] INFO: [Server] Socket tZaBHbIFV8uOwHmvAAAB disconnected from client "root" after 202510ms

Edited by Kerrald
23 minutes ago, Kerrald said:

Hm, latest update is causing streams to fail to run. This file and other were running fine up until this update. 

Config /config /metadata /audiobooks
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.659Z] INFO: === Starting Server ===
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.659Z] INFO: [Server] Init v1.6.36
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.665Z] INFO: [DB] 0 Collections Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.666Z] INFO: [DB] 0 Authors Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.705Z] INFO: [DB] 1 Users Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.706Z] INFO: [DB] 1 Libraries Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.750Z] INFO: [DB] 31 Audiobooks Loaded
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.751Z] INFO: [Db] Root user exists, pw: false
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.753Z] INFO: [BackupManager] 0 Backups Found
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.753Z] INFO: [BackupManager] Auto Backups are disabled
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.756Z] INFO: [LogManager] Init current daily log filename: 2021-12-06.txt
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.759Z] INFO: [Watcher] Initializing watcher for "Main".
[2021-12-06T20:23:04.769Z] INFO: Running on http://0.0.0.0:80
[2021-12-06T20:23:05.147Z] INFO: [Watcher] "Main" Ready
[2021-12-06T20:23:11.648Z] INFO: [SOCKET] Socket Connected tZaBHbIFV8uOwHmvAAAB
[2021-12-06T20:23:11.650Z] INFO: User has stream open already str_r9fo90gk20vacov0zs
[2021-12-06T20:23:11.650Z] ERROR: Invalid user stream id str_r9fo90gk20vacov0zs

[2021-12-06T20:23:13.763Z] INFO: [StreamManager] Open Stream Request tZaBHbIFV8uOwHmvAAAB ab_lb3y6aqclf613tb6r6
[2021-12-06T20:23:13.765Z] INFO: [STREAM] User has progress for audiobook 0.023 Time Remaining: 104982.87154200002s
[2021-12-06T20:23:13.788Z] INFO: [STREAM] START STREAM - Num Segments: 17913
[2021-12-06T20:23:13.791Z] INFO: Stream Opened for client root for audiobook The Eye of the World with streamId str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q
[2021-12-06T20:23:13.794Z] INFO: [STREAM] Starting Stream at startTime 41:01.0 (User startTime 41:31.0) and Segment #410
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.115Z] INFO: [INFO] FFMPEG transcoding started with command: ffmpeg -seek_timestamp 1 -f concat -safe 0 -ss 1369.8s -noaccurate_seek -i /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/files.txt -y -loglevel error -map 0:a -c:a copy -f hls -copyts -avoid_negative_ts make_non_negative -max_delay 5000000 -max_muxing_queue_size 2048 -hls_time 6 -hls_segment_type mpegts -start_number 410 -hls_playlist_type vod -hls_list_size 0 -hls_allow_cache 0 -hls_segment_filename /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/output-%d.ts /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/final-output.m3u8

[2021-12-06T20:23:14.116Z] INFO:
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.130Z] INFO: [concat @ 0x14f40025c640] Impossible to open 'The Eye of the World/02 Chapter 1_ An Empty Road.mp3'
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.130Z] INFO: /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/files.txt: No such file or directory
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.131Z] INFO:
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.132Z] ERROR: Ffmpeg Err "ffmpeg exited with code 1: /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q/files.txt: No such file or directory

"
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.132Z] INFO: Closing Stream str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q
[2021-12-06T20:23:14.137Z] INFO: Deleted session data /metadata/streams/str_b0dbrv2tzmn4p7190q
[2021-12-06T20:26:34.158Z] INFO: [Server] Socket tZaBHbIFV8uOwHmvAAAB disconnected from client "root" after 202510ms

Nothing was updated for streaming, are you able to stream any audiobooks? Are you starting the stream from the mobile app or the web app? 

42 minutes ago, Kerrald said:

It doesn't look like I'm able to stream anything. This was on desktop, but just confirmed it fails on my android device (pixel 3a, latest android 12 update). 

Tried another book that I hadn't started to ensure it wasn't something related to the bookmarking or anything. 

Looks like your library is not getting seen. Can you run a scan?

1 hour ago, Kerrald said:

Weird, ran a forced rescan and it got the one I was in the middle of working again. Still getting failures across other files. Not seeing a reason or rhyme. Maybe it's a me problem. 

Probably best to remove them from audiobookshelf by opening the edit modal and clicking remove, or selecting them all and remove. Then do a scan to pull them in fresh.

• advplyr changed the title to [Support] Audiobookshelf