[Support] Audiobookshelf

On 8/14/2022 at 8:16 AM, advplyr said:

I think I closed most of the goodreads requests in github but it has been mentioned a lot. Goodreads won't be supported because they discontinued their public API and Abs is not going to do any web scraping itself. If someone built out a solid reliable Goodreads api that was free and public we would implement it.

Ok then, that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

I am still absolutely loving this thing. 

When are you comfortable with a donation man? This is just great. Larger buttons for playback fiddling while driving would be immensely helpful, as it stands I have to pull over to do anything.. I can just about manage hitting play.. but yeah. 

Question about the stats:

image.png.f6996c81da7fce9612a9defb93066f40.png

The "days listened" is that number of days I have listened to an audio book? It's a bit confusing right next to minutes listened - clearly the two numbers aren't related. 

5 minutes ago, Froberg said:

I am still absolutely loving this thing. 

When are you comfortable with a donation man? This is just great. Larger buttons for playback fiddling while driving would be immensely helpful, as it stands I have to pull over to do anything.. I can just about manage hitting play.. but yeah. 

Question about the stats:

image.png.f6996c81da7fce9612a9defb93066f40.png

The "days listened" is that number of days I have listened to an audio book? It's a bit confusing right next to minutes listened - clearly the two numbers aren't related. 

Not sure about donations yet. You are correct on the number of days you have listened and I agree it is confusing. I'm open to suggestions on stats. I built the page off of a design that was requested: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf/discussions/167

• Like 1

I'm perfectly happy with the stats.. I'm sure "days listened" is relevant to.. someone. :D

My PlexAMP music player, which you replaced as my audio-book listener, can detect when I'm moving in a vehicle and adjusts the interface accordingly.. would be a nice add-on. 

Maybe an ability to jump in something other than 10 sec increments.. if it plays by accident in my pocket it quickly becomes a nightmare to figure out where I left off. 

This is all really just nitpicking.. the thing is perfectly usable as is - and you should really consider accepting donations man - it's just great. 

2 minutes ago, Froberg said:

I'm perfectly happy with the stats.. I'm sure "days listened" is relevant to.. someone. :D

My PlexAMP music player, which you replaced as my audio-book listener, can detect when I'm moving in a vehicle and adjusts the interface accordingly.. would be a nice add-on. 

Maybe an ability to jump in something other than 10 sec increments.. if it plays by accident in my pocket it quickly becomes a nightmare to figure out where I left off. 

This is all really just nitpicking.. the thing is perfectly usable as is - and you should really consider accepting donations man - it's just great. 

You can adjust the jump back amount to up to 30 seconds. We plan on adding some form of history on when you took various actions such as play/pause/seek so you can see your playback time and jump back to it if you made an error. That should help with accidental changes. You can also lock the player now but that doesn't lock the progress bar shown on the lockscreen yet though.
I'm not sure how PlexAMP detects vehicle movement unless it is getting some extra permissions from you.

• Like 1

That sounds great, thanks for the tip on the 30 seconds.. that'll help some! :) The seek bar becomes very unusable on a fifteen hour file is all. 

I don't know how Plexamp does it, either, but it does - it's just a neat feature. Android permissions says physical activity - files and media is currently disallowed.. which is interesting considering it caches liberally. 

I must admit Android permissions only seem to become more complex and difficult to comprehend as time progresses. 

3 minutes ago, Froberg said:

That sounds great, thanks for the tip on the 30 seconds.. that'll help some! :) The seek bar becomes very unusable on a fifteen hour file is all. 

I don't know how Plexamp does it, either, but it does - it's just a neat feature. Android permissions says physical activity - files and media is currently disallowed.. which is interesting considering it caches liberally. 

I must admit Android permissions only seem to become more complex and difficult to comprehend as time progresses. 

For the seek bar we are also working on having the track on the notification use the chapter track setting if you have that enabled. I'm not sure if you are aware of that setting but you can enable use chapter track which will convert the progress bar to be for each chapter instead of the entire audiobook. The notification doesn't respect that setting yet though, you can track that issue here: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf-app/issues/239

Agreed, Android permissions have been a nightmare to work with.

• Like 1

Okay maybe my suggestions were unfounded.. given your suggestions I have just discovered that I can actually see more than the "bottom of main screen" player and have a full-screen player, too. 

That helps immensely. 

Especially with the button sizing. 

I am evidently an idiot for missing it. I am so very sorry. 

One must admit when one has been a blundering moron. 

I see there's both a chapter list and a chapter-skip option therein. IMO it would then make sense if the progress bar was "adaptive" so you'd click and hold on it, and then you could use it to navigate quickly and release the finger when you think you're at your target. 

The playback history thing is obviously a good idea - wish I'd have thought of that. That way I can just go in to the history and click resume, from around the time when I parked my car in the morning. Brilliant idea. 

You may disregard me now, as I am clearly without the mental acuity required to comment on absolutely anything. Carry on with the stellar flippin' work man! 

7 minutes ago, Froberg said:

IMO it would then make sense if the progress bar was "adaptive" so you'd click and hold on it, and then you could use it to navigate quickly and release the finger when you think you're at your target. 

Someone else mentioned this too but this is already how it works. I put a gif of it here: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf-app/discussions/366#discussioncomment-3560825

I mention that the UI right now is not ideal and I intend to make it more clear that you are dragging the progress bar.

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing app, big thanks to the dev!

I just set this up and restructured my unraid server audiobook directory structure in the format audiobookshelf wants (Author, Series, Book number with name).

A bunch of my books are showing a red missing label, i cant click or hover over it to see what exact is missing.

I open the details for it and use [quick-match to fill in what it can, but it still shows "missing" in red.

What do i need to do to get rid of the missing label? How can i get it to tell me what it thinks is missing?

Edited by Taako
19 minutes ago, Taako said:

Absolutely amazing app, big thanks to the dev!

I just set this up and restructured my unraid server audiobook directory structure in the format audiobookshelf wants (Author, Series, Book number with name).

A bunch of my books are showing a red missing label, i cant click or hover over it to see what exact is missing.

I open the details for it and use [quick-match to fill in what it can, but it still shows "missing" in red.

What do i need to do to get rid of the missing label? How can i get it to tell me what it thinks is missing?

That entire library item is missing. You most likely need to remove it and scan your library again. There should be an issues page showing and there is a remove all button that will remove all those missing library items.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this... I am very interested in audiobookshelf server on my unraid box, but the instructions for setting it up (with reverse proxy and such), are too complex, and I'm not even sure I have that capability.  I don't use the server as a web host... just backups and local server for movies and such.

Are there instructions for getting this to work with my setup?  I am comfortable using the router to forward ports and such, and have done so for Plex remote access.

5 hours ago, yegods said:

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this... I am very interested in audiobookshelf server on my unraid box, but the instructions for setting it up (with reverse proxy and such), are too complex, and I'm not even sure I have that capability.  I don't use the server as a web host... just backups and local server for movies and such.

Are there instructions for getting this to work with my setup?  I am comfortable using the router to forward ports and such, and have done so for Plex remote access.

Nginx Proxy Manager. Get it, love it. 

Here's my nginx setup:

image.png.31ae04a90ee58ca59a343ae28f4705b5.png

image.png.32a42655cacd2b16ca08cdd005399c7c.png

A domain or static DNS is preferable here. If you don't have that, I believe there are videos from SpaceInvader on the topic of dynamic DNS setups on YouTube. He has proxy manager videos, too. 

Nginx ports: 

image.png.8ac99bf478ad698ae16792e2e72ca827.png

These will likely be different for your use of course. 

relevant port forwarding:

image.png.1feb518e74972a9f509a8ef68326508f.png

Basically you forward any external traffic on ports 80 and 443 through nginx, which then translates that in the back-end to whatever you need. 

In my case I need it to forward traffic coming for ab.mydomain.org on 443 and 80 to the internal server at port 13378. I hope this makes sense - I tried to keep it short and simple. 

• Like 1

I love this app... it has so many great features "that just work".  One thing I would appreciate is a way to sort the authors view by last name.  I don't want to have to re-do all of my library to rename the folders.  Is this feasible, or just dumb?

Oh also... if I rename folders because I messed up the series and volume names... it re-reads the data, but doesn't adjust the series, even on a re-scan.  It would be nice if it re-evaluated the series after finding changed folders.

Edited by yegods
added another issue found
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, yegods said:

I love this app... it has so many great features "that just work".  One thing I would appreciate is a way to sort the authors view by last name.  I don't want to have to re-do all of my library to rename the folders.  Is this feasible, or just dumb?

I re-indexed everything per the recommendations to get the best experience.. 

I hadn't even browsed the authors screen before.. I figure the search function works well and I don't personally miss any sorting options.. I'm sure it's a simple thing to implement though.. 

Maybe I'm an insane person, and i tried searching but didn't see anything but maybe my unraid-fu (google-fu) needs to sharpening.

When I'm downloading podcasts, the files that are downloaded are essentially un-movable say if I wanted to copy them to a flash drive to give them to someone else for ease of transport, or whatever my use-case may be at that moment.  All of my searching says that it has to do with the way the Docker, in this case audiobookshelf, marks the files permissions.

If I run new docker permissions, or just new permissions on the file share where the podcasts are stored it does fix the situation, but I'm not wanting to have to schedule this to run daily/nightly/hourly etc... is there a config file somewhere, where I can adjust what permissions the files are granted when being downloaded?  If i'm being unclear in any way let me know.

40 minutes ago, DeadChimi said:

Maybe I'm an insane person, and i tried searching but didn't see anything but maybe my unraid-fu (google-fu) needs to sharpening.

When I'm downloading podcasts, the files that are downloaded are essentially un-movable say if I wanted to copy them to a flash drive to give them to someone else for ease of transport, or whatever my use-case may be at that moment.  All of my searching says that it has to do with the way the Docker, in this case audiobookshelf, marks the files permissions.

If I run new docker permissions, or just new permissions on the file share where the podcasts are stored it does fix the situation, but I'm not wanting to have to schedule this to run daily/nightly/hourly etc... is there a config file somewhere, where I can adjust what permissions the files are granted when being downloaded?  If i'm being unclear in any way let me know.

According to github it's running bog-standard permissions for the share:

-e AUDIOBOOKSHELF_UID=99 \ -e AUDIOBOOKSHELF_GID=100 \

Maybe have a look at your user perms? 

47 minutes ago, DeadChimi said:

I noticed this yesterday with a podcast folder that was created and wasn't sure if it was a one-off issue. Every folder/file that is created by abs should have the permissions set the same and use the UID/GID in your config. Maybe I forgot to set them for the podcast folders/episode files.

2 hours ago, Froberg said:

According to github it's running bog-standard permissions for the share:

-e AUDIOBOOKSHELF_UID=99 \ -e AUDIOBOOKSHELF_GID=100 \

Maybe have a look at your user perms? 

I suppose it could be this, but my user perms have no issues with anything else on this same share.  I know I had to set the -arr series of applications to CHMOD 777 for downloaded files on import.  

As a test, I created a new share that was public where no user permissions should impact and I get the same result.  I pulled a different podcast just to make sure it wasnt specific to the one I originally noticed this issue on.

2 hours ago, advplyr said:

I noticed this yesterday with a podcast folder that was created and wasn't sure if it was a one-off issue. Every folder/file that is created by abs should have the permissions set the same and use the UID/GID in your config. Maybe I forgot to set them for the podcast folders/episode files.

I had this same issue with podgrab and a few other ones, including the -arr series of applications where I had to tell it to CHMOD 777 after importing.  Im beginning to wonder if its not an issue with my unraid install.

6 minutes ago, DeadChimi said:

I had this same issue with podgrab and a few other ones, including the -arr series of applications where I had to tell it to CHMOD 777 after importing.  Im beginning to wonder if its not an issue with my unraid install.

Abs is using 744 for permissions. For me it's the rootshare to windows that is the issue, I need the rootshare to have owner permissions but haven't looked into that yet.