[Support] MeTube

Overview: Support for the MeTube Docker Container.

Github : https://github.com/alexta69/metube

Docker Hub : https://hub.docker.com/r/alexta69/metube

Web GUI for youtube-dl (using the yt-dlp fork) with playlist support. Allows you to download videos from YouTube and dozens of other sites.

This is not my project. I just created the template. Credits to alexta69

Edited by Alex.b
  • Thanks 1
  • Alex.b changed the title to [Support] MeTube
5 hours ago, robw83 said:

Very nice UI. Like the clean look

Couple of isseus:

files are being created with root/root permissions and not nobody/user. this makes file managing a problem. 

Also your template for PGID and PUID have the key set to a value instead of the key. 

Well seen, template updated.

Requesting assistance from anyone familiar with how to set up environment variables for Metube.  Here's what I am trying to accomplish.  I need to "mount" a cookies.txt file so Metube knows how to properly pull the cookies file when retrieving video.  I have a cookies.txt file generated I just need to set an environment variable to recognize it.  Below are instructions from the Dev but I am lost on a couple points.  

But the idea is that just as you mount your /downloads folder as a docker volume, you need to mount the cookies file into the container in the same way (as a volume). Let's say you mount it in the root directory as /cookies.txt in the container. Then you can instruct the yt-dlp copy that MeTube runs to use this cookie file. That you will have to do via the YTDL_OPTIONS environment variable. You'll have to set it to {"cookiefile":"/cookies.txt"}. If you're doing it directly via YAML, make sure you properly escape this string. 

I am not sure how to set up the environment variable to recognize the cookies file since Metube doesn't have an appdata folder, etc.  Any assistance would be helpful. 

Based on the above, I mounted the path as follows (note the cookies.txt file is in the "/downloads/Metube/ directory:

image.png.0b578dfec6a7d085564696123150dc78.png

And here is what I have for Env. Variable...What am I doing wrong??

image.png.e501c0be0cf03ca5a9845637fe9220f2.png

Edited by Hawkins12

Hi guys! MeTube author here. Glad you like the software!

I'll be happy to assist where I can. I've never used Unraid so I know nothing about it, so I'll only be able to help with things that have to do with MeTube itself.

@Alex.b, I'm not sure how you're setting the user/group ID in the template (where can I see the template?), but if I'm understanding it right, and it's via PUID/PGID environment variables, then those don't have any effect in this docker image. The uid/gid are set via the docker daemon, as documented in the README. How this is configured in Unraid I don't know... But there's got to be a way!

@Hawkins12, as I said I know nothing about Unraid but still these don't look right... In the mount section, I think you want to use /mnt/user/Downloads/MeTube/cookies.txt as the host path. And in the environment variable section, you'll probably want YTDL_OPTIONS as the key, and the JSON string {"cookiefile":"/cookies.txt"} as the value.

21 hours ago, Alex.b said:

Hey @alexta69 !

I am not the best person to answer. I'm just trying to help the community. :D

But yes user/group are managed with PUID/PGID in unRAID. You can view the template here : https://github.com/Zazou49/unraid/blob/main/MeTube.xml

Don't hesitate to tell me if you want to take ownership of the template and manage it!

I see the PUID/PGID variables in the template. They won't have any effect with this docker image and should be removed. (UMASK too I think, though I'm not sure, it may have effect on the system level.) For this docker image you must pass "--user 99:100" to docker as an argument if you want the uid/gid to be 99/100 as in your template. From what I can gather from Googling, you can use the <ExtraParams> template parameter for that.

I won't be the right person to take ownership of the template since I'm not an Unraid user, so I won't be able to test it.. But I'll be happy to help in other ways if I can.

Alex

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Great application.  One question - youtube-dlp has an option to download subtitles - do you have any plans to include this option in your future releases?

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#subtitle-options

On 9/7/2021 at 9:49 AM, kri kri said:

What naming templates are people using? 

I use this:

%(uploader)s/%(upload_date)s - %(uploader)s - %(title)s - (%(duration)ss) [%(resolution)s].%(ext)s

11 hours ago, rx93hinu said:

Great application.  One question - youtube-dlp has an option to download subtitles - do you have any plans to include this option in your future releases?

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#subtitle-options

I use this:

%(uploader)s/%(upload_date)s - %(uploader)s - %(title)s - (%(duration)ss) [%(resolution)s].%(ext)s

You can use the YTDL_OPTIONS environment variable for subtitle options: https://github.com/alexta69/metube#configuration-via-environment-variables

On 9/2/2021 at 2:19 PM, alexta69 said:

Hi guys! MeTube author here. Glad you like the software!

I'll be happy to assist where I can. I've never used Unraid so I know nothing about it, so I'll only be able to help with things that have to do with MeTube itself.

Issue posted to github, referencing here in case it's an Unraid specific issue, but I think it's the app.

https://github.com/alexta69/metube/issues/64

• 2 weeks later...

This wasn't working, however when I change "Required" to yes it seems to work. 

I looked at the doc for all other options, I tried:

{"writesubtitles"} as the value but I still get the "YTDL_OPTIONS is invalid" in the log (only thing it displays and then stops the container)

I also tried without quotes and braces with no success. Thanks.

I also didn't see an embed subs option either.

Variable 2.png

9 hours ago, alexta69 said:

Glad to hear! We're limited by the options that yt-dlp implements, so if they don't do Embed, we won't have it...

Thanks for the tip... I just wasnt certain if it was hidden or not. I used Youtube-dl material with the yt-dlp option and it embeds subs but that could be due to ffmpeg maybe.

I do also have an issue with the file writing as root when I clearly have  --user 99:100  in the extra parameters. My windows pc needs permission to delete or move the files. any ideas on how I can maybe have the container change permissions of the files on download completed or to get the  --user 99:100 working properly. I know you said its docker related etc. and that you dont have an unraid build to test on but all tips are appreciated. I might just try a script on unraid that monitors those folders and writes new permissions on an interval. TIA. 

45 minutes ago, GonjaT said:

Thanks for the tip... I just wasnt certain if it was hidden or not. I used Youtube-dl material with the yt-dlp option and it embeds subs but that could be due to ffmpeg maybe.

I do also have an issue with the file writing as root when I clearly have  --user 99:100  in the extra parameters. My windows pc needs permission to delete or move the files. any ideas on how I can maybe have the container change permissions of the files on download completed or to get the  --user 99:100 working properly. I know you said its docker related etc. and that you dont have an unraid build to test on but all tips are appreciated. I might just try a script on unraid that monitors those folders and writes new permissions on an interval. TIA. 

That's exactly the thing -- I don't know much (or anything) about unraid, so I can't really help in pinpointing the problem here. The user option works when used directly with Docker, that much I know. I hope someone with unraid knowledge can help with this.