[SOLVED] Both Data drives disabled, unmountable, no file system

Hi,

I have a simple personal array, 2 data disks, a single parity drive, and a cache disk.

I had disk1 disabled , for CRC errors, it happened a month ago but since then the server was not used. As I came back from vacation yesterday i did an extended Smart test (no error apparently) decided to try and stop/dismount/start/stop/remount and rebuild the parity.

the parity started to rebuild but stopped immediately. I stopped the server, tried to check all cables/connections and retried the steps above. But it did the same, and even worse, disk 2 was disabled.

Then I did what I think was a huge mistake : i started the array with both data disks stopped.

And now they're showing the message : no file system and I can't remount them. 

I started the array in maintenance mode, but a "check filesystem status" with the parameter -nv is giving me the following message:

image.png.6b17a76043d541e9d80905d3ba1982f0.png

Did I lose my data ? Any method, even painful, to recover it ? I can't tell you how distressed i feel right now...

Diagnostics attached.

Thanks,

tower-diagnostics-20210822-2117.zip

Edited by CyrilB
solved now. i'll reply the final status.

Hi,

I think it is because the computer I used to build this array is my previous main personal computer. It's an old Motherboard, and all SATA ports are not identical. I tried to put the Data disks and the cache disk on the same ports, and used this additional port for the parity drive. I had not noticed it was considered external to say the truth. But everything is in the tower and plugged on the motherboard.

The Data and Parity disks are new though, I bought them less than 2 years ago for this purpose, they are server-grade versions. The cache disk is an SSD drive that I repurposed.

I didn't think that making a server would be so sensitive to the hardware (MB, memory, PSU). Unraid disables drives for those CRC errors that I never come across in any other configuration as an issue. It had happened already 6 months ago, but after testing the drive, I had just rebuilt the parity and nothing else happened until today. I ordered new SATA cables, shielded, just in case. They arrive tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, CyrilB said:

It's an old Motherboard, and all SATA ports are not identical.

Asus does not keep the specification of old product online, but from I could gather your P5W DH Deluxe has :

Storage/RAID

Intel ICH7R South Bridge:
* 1 x UltraDMA 100/66/33
* 3 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s avec Intel® Matrix Storage Technology pour le support RAID 0, 1 et 5

Jmicron JMB363 controller
* 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66
* 1x Serial SATA 3.0Gb/s
* 1x External Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s (ASUS SATA-on-the-Go)
* Support SATA RAID 0, 1 and JBOD (by 1x External SATA & 1x Internal SATA)

Silicon Image 4723 Hardware RAID controller (ASUS EZ-Backup)
* 2 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s with RAID 0, 1 support
* Support RAID 10 cross Intel® ICH7R and Silicon Image 4723 controller

Not sure what is the driver status for Silicon Image ?

Maybe try to stick with the 3 Intel ports and the Jmicron ? Not sure if this could help though.

13 hours ago, CyrilB said:

I had disk1 disabled , for CRC errors, it happened a month ago but since then the server was not used.

If there was nothing written to disk1 once it got disable you can do a new config and re-assign both data disks, then sync parity, both disks show a high number of CRC errors, so if you haven't' done it yet make sure to replace the SATA cables first.

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

No point in trying to repair the emulated disks, Unraid can't emulated two disks with singe parity, after the new config they should mount, if they don't post new diags.

If I do that, I will still recover the data they contain ?

I mean, it makes sense, I'm just not sure of what I'm doing. Still learning.

Edited by CyrilB
  • CyrilB changed the title to [Solded] Both Data drives disabled, unmountable, no file system
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Both Data drives disabled, unmountable, no file system