User Share does not expand to next disk in array

Dear folks,

I am new to unraid and just set up my first server. Now trying to copy my files from my existing synology NAS via mounted SMB share to the unraid user share on my array. Unfortunately I am running into problems, because the share does not expand to the next disk when the first disk is full. I started with 6.10RC1 and hope it is not a related problem to the RC. I first had built the array with 2x 16 GB Toshiba HDD (data and parity) and later on expanded with another 8 TB Toshiba disk. The user share was configured before I expanded the array ... only if this does matter, but from my understanding Unraid would use every additional disk as needed (if share is configured correct).

Share structure is:

movies => resolution => movie name => files

Split level is set to two ... I already tried with 3 .. 

Hope for help

Kind regards

matty

shareconfig.PNG

krusader1.png

nasa-diagnostics-20210823-0816.zip

Your example path definitely requires a split level of at least 3 to give the results you want as a value of 2 forces UnRaid to try the first disk.  Since you are using the ‘Fill-Up’ allocation method I do not see any advantage to putting any Split Level restrictions on the share unless I am missing something about how you want files split accross drives

Thank`s for the quick answers, I will try with split level 3.

What I woul like unraid to do if I copy files from a destination (in this case the mounted smb share) is to fill up the first disk, when the first disk is full, then copy to disk2 and so on .. 

Therefore the split level .. but perhabs my understanding is not correct for this.

regards

54 minutes ago, matty2k said:

Thank`s for the quick answers, I will try with split level 3.

What I woul like unraid to do if I copy files from a destination (in this case the mounted smb share) is to fill up the first disk, when the first disk is full, then copy to disk2 and so on .. 

Therefore the split level .. but perhabs my understanding is not correct for this.

regards

Split level always wins any contention over which drive to use.  This means it can force a file to a drive that does not have enough room.  I would suggest that you set the Split Level to "Automatically split any directory as needed".   

Split Level restrictions really only make sense if using one of the other allocation methods as a way to keep related files on the same drive, with "Fill-Up" this is will happen anyway.

There is a good explanation of Split Level here in the online documentation that can be accessed via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.

Ok. I have read the information before, but obviously did not fully understand the logic. Let me clarify:

Do I need to create the user share folder(s) or better say the complete file structure on each disk manually?

Or does Unraid create the user share file structure for me if needed, e.g. disk1 is full and need to go on writing on disk2?

it ist a little bit confusing since I am used to work with Raid system where you do not need to manage the file structure on every single disk separately.

kind regards and thanks again.

1 hour ago, matty2k said:

Ok. I have read the information before, but obviously did not fully understand the logic. Let me clarify:

Do I need to create the user share folder(s) or better say the complete file structure on each disk manually?

Or does Unraid create the user share file structure for me if needed, e.g. disk1 is full and need to go on writing on disk2?

it ist a little bit confusing since I am used to work with Raid system where you do not need to manage the file structure on every single disk separately.

kind regards and thanks again.

If you turn of set any Split level restrictions then Unraid will create directories as needed on each disk as it fills up.  No need for any manual intervention.

With Fill-up allocation method the only Share setting that would then matter regarding drive selection is the Minimum Free Space value to act as the trigger for moving onto the next drive.

2 minutes ago, matty2k said:

OK. Did try to change split level to 3 again, but still does not work. Minimum Free Space is still set to 90GB but however, Disk1 is written completely full and Unraid does nit switch to disk2!

Why not change Split Level to allow any number of levels?    If any of the paths have more folder levels than was shown in your screen shot then split Level=3 would still be too restrictive.

Actually only try via network .. copy from mounted network smb share (synology share) to unraid.

Does krusader get the changes correct without restarting when I change share settings in unraid while krusader is running?

What settings to you need to know? The picture shows the settings I used following the video from spaceinvader.

Everything else is unchanged.

krusader2.thumb.png.c33e38e0d88e5121575984eeca7fe58a.png

I meant try running the copy from a machine that is not the Unraid server to try and eliminate any variables.  

Nothing obviously wrong with those Krusader settings though.

I am sure the solution will eventually be something trivial - the problem is going to be spotting why it is not already working.

it might be worth posting new Diagnostics so we can check your current settings.

OK. I have now mounted the Unraid Usershare on my Synology NAS and copy the files from Synology to Unraid. And indeed - now unraid is writing to disk2 when limit of free space is reached. Another difference is that I created a user to access the share from Synology NAS ... (with Krusader I did not need to add any user).

However, somewhere seems to be an problem - with Krusader or unraid itself.

Would still like to know, where the problem is originated.

kind regards

47 minutes ago, matty2k said:

OK. I have now mounted the Unraid Usershare on my Synology NAS and copy the files from Synology to Unraid. And indeed - now unraid is writing to disk2 when limit of free space is reached. Another difference is that I created a user to access the share from Synology NAS ... (with Krusader I did not need to add any user).

However, somewhere seems to be an problem - with Krusader or unraid itself.

Would still like to know, where the problem is originated.

kind regards

Glad to hear you ‘sort’ of got it working.

No idea why it is not working for you from Krusader - lots of people use that without the problems you seem to be encountering.