Windows VM cannot install: stuck at "Let's connect you to a network"

Trying to setup my first VM - windows10 home selected.

I get as far as network but then it says "Let's connect you to a network" but nothing ever comes up

Under my VM settings it is default: network bridge br0 and network model: virtio-net

I do see options under USB devices that are not selected which include:  American Megatrends Virtual Ethernet (046b:ffb0)

Not sure what I'm missing here.

16 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Did you install the virtio network driver off the virtio iso image?  You would need this to connect to the network.

Since I have no idea what you're talking about I would guess no.  I just selected "add a VM" from the VM page and went from there.  Where would I add the virtio network driver as you describe, is this elsewhere in unraid?

EDIT: I was wrong, at some point I have installed this ISO - it's in my ISO share/folder.  And it's selected under the windows VM virtio driver ISO section (virtio-win-0.1.190-1.iso)

I have not however done anything beyond putting the ISO in the folder and its selected in the windows VM edit section.

I'm using Win10_21H1_English_x64.iso as my windows install

Edited by Ystebad
37 minutes ago, Ystebad said:

I get as far as network but then it says "Let's connect you to a network" but nothing ever comes up

Honestly I always make sure w10 CAN'T connect to the network until after I'm done setting things up. That way you can use a local account if you wish, and don't have to deal with updates until you are ready.

• 1 year later...

Just an addendum - you can load the drivers during the network setup process if you like.

1. Hit SHIFT + F10 to get a command line open
  2. Switch to the location of the virtio iso (in my case, E:) and change to the NetKVM\w11\amd64 directory
    • cd e:\NetKVM\w11\amd64
  3. Install the driver
    • pnputil -i -a netkvm.inf
    • image.png.ae4d78fd79d82f31dfa1eebeda742b17.png
  4. Network should now be detected. Close the command prompt and continue.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, supercoach said:

Just an addendum - you can load the drivers during the network setup process if you like.

2. Switch to the location of the virtio iso (in my case, E:) and change to the NetKVM\w11\amd64 directory
  3. Install the driver

You are an absolute lifesaver. Especially now MS have effectively blocked the " taskkill /F /IM oobenetworkconnectionflow.exe " to force the network connectivity requirement. 

Edited by mrhaanman
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2022 at 4:04 PM, BoKKeR said:

For anyone coming here from google, you are supposed to install the virtio drivers on this screen. You have to start again to get here (you can hit escape on boot to get into bios -> boot manager -> dvd) 

Then on the next installation

NetKVM -> w11 -> amd64 -> pick first

image.thumb.png.72d8664dca09a34e4611e4db5b81c7b4.png

This was how I fixed my issue! Thanks!!

Still working 02/23

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/28/2022 at 7:57 AM, supercoach said:

3. Install the driver

Hero status, thank you very much @supercoach!