does using an app like Krusader bypass the Minimum free space setting?

so i been transfering files from another hard drive.. and using krusader..  

i have my one folder set to fill up and 20gib  minimum..     and its set to included all disks..  but my disk space is under 100meg now.. 

then krusader goes stalled alot..  and then after a bit.. the the disk space starts going up  1.5gb  1.57gb and so on.. is this normal  is unraid then moving the files to another drive since its below the 20gb

does krusader bypass the Disk settings??  even when i copy  to the user/<share>   

or is the mininum file space. only for SMB shares for windows?

as i have 7 disks.. and krusader seemed to fill disk 1-3  filled my drive below 20gb and disk 1  right down to 100meg   yet disk 7 is 12tb free

and the 4-6 have like 500gb free

so are my settings wrong.. or is it just krusader bypassing the safety settings?

Edited by comet424

what does that mean it overrides allocation method?  is it bypassing the settings then 

and ya  i using the user share

so /mnt/user/sisters files

and i have it set to Fill up...  and 20gb min..  should i have something else?

does that mean split level needs to be something else?

is that why it goes below the 20gb  goes below 100meg then it re comes back up..  is it going below but then it comes back up as its moving to a different drive?

is that why krusader goes stalled.... it cant write anymore... its constantly writting to disk 1 as its 23gb free  filles it down to under 100meg  min is 20gb  then i guess goes stalled allot.. then i watch disk 1 slowly going up till stops around the 23gb free.

is that all normal? as i still learning and understanding.....

and is Fill up a good setting or should i be doing different setting

i was trying to work on  you dont need to spin up all the drives   if i can fit stuff on 1 drive etc

Edited by comet424
11 minutes ago, comet424 said:

what does that mean it overrides allocation method?  is it bypassing the settings then

What this means is that the Split Level setting can cause the Minimum Free Space setting to be ignored if they would cause different drives to be selected.   In other words the Split Level setting can force UnRaid to use a particular drive despite the fact there is not enough room, and so subsequently the transfer fails.    If you are using the fill-up allocation level you almost certainly want the Split Level setting to say directories can always be split.

oh ok .ya i left the default  automaticlly split any directory as required..

there are other options  i never know should i leave it on automatic or choose one of those other ones

so question..

if i were to set minum to 50gb..   if i transfering like i mentioned above.. would it still go below 100 meg filling the drive  up  that full going below 50gb    and then unraid then moves it off disk1  and onto the next drive?

reason i ask is i was copying krusader yesterday

and 

disk 3 had like 100gb free disk 4 had 100+ disk free

well when copying  to disk 1  went below 20gb   then  i saw disk 2 going down and it went below 20gb  it was under 10gb  and then i sawl disk 3 going down..

disk 

so right now  my free space 

on disk 1  12gb   disk 2 25gb disk 3  19.5  disk4 19.5  disk 5 851gb    and the rest are higher

so how come  disk 1 3 4   not go back up over min 20gb  

as i watched earlier today..  disk 1  was going down fast below min 20gb  when to under 100meg free then it was coming back up  so figured its moving to the other drives but its still at 12gb  how come it didnt pop up over 20gb ..

is there another setting i should set?

is there a best setting... and or is it always better to copy with windows.. where using the  user samba share works better then using the user share  in the krusader

always learning..  is there a video or documentation  on best practices  kinda thing or what settings whats commonly set  for if you were to use movies.. or your installation files   documents..   i pretty much have all the folders i think 20gb min  fill up and automaticlly split

is that pretty much the best setting?

trying to get unraid to smoothly as best as i can..  like all the advanced users  get it running flawless and peak speeds

Edited by comet424
11 minutes ago, comet424 said:

if i were to set minum to 50gb..   if i transfering like i mentioned above.. would it still go below 100 meg filling the drive  up  that full going below 50gb    and then unraid then moves it off disk1  and onto the next drive?

Depends on the file size, any file larger than 50GB would still go to that disk and run out of space.

ah so unraid has no true real minimum

as you could copy documents that are 1 2kb size as example and fill it right down to 0

there is no true min 20gb  dont go below 20gb ever  or  50gb 

and then thats what i thought i saw   it went down to under 100 meg  but then it bounced back up over 20gb    is that unraid doing it?  it tried to fill it on disk 1  it got below 100 meg  or what not  and said it cant fit so moves to the next drive.. is that how that worked?

learning something new everyday 🙂

2 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ah so unraid has no true real minimum

It has a real minimum, it just has no way of knowing the size o a file before the copy stars, if you have the minium set to 50GB, have 60GB free and start copying a 100GB file it will copy to that disk and run out of space, that's why you need to set the minium free space to about twice the maximum file size you expect to copy to that share, I seem to remember you already went over all of this with you.

26 minutes ago, comet424 said:

f i were to set minum to 50gb..   if i transfering like i mentioned above.. would it still go below 100 meg filling the drive  up  that full going below 50gb    and then unraid then moves it off disk1  and onto the next drive?

UnRaid never moves files between array drives - if the file will not fit after a drive is selected you get an out-of-space error.

what is important is that the Minimum Free Space value is larger than your biggest file so that any single file is guaranteed to fit.    When the free space drops below this value then the NEXT file will go to another drive.

ah ok.. and ya  i asked it a while ago  about the minum setting.. your right. . but now i was dealing with krusader and watching Disk1  hit under 100 meg abites..   i was wondering if thats why it gets stalled    i figured  stalled ment it ran out of disk space  and unraid was moving the file to the next drive

and ya twice biggest file you could copy is say 10gb so i set to 20gb..  but it doesnt stop you copying  say 10k of 1kb files or 2kb files and filling the drive down to 0kb 

maybe it was a krusader feature  it was moving the file off disk 1 then moving to  the next drive.. then it didnt fit right and moved to the next drive   till it fitted,,, maybe thats what i was obbserving  

but in the end there is no way  stop it from filling a drive right up down to the last 1kb  if your copying documment files filling it up..

as you can still copy 50 gb of 1- 100k documents to a 20gb min share.. and it will fill that drive to under 100kb of free space

i was hoping there was a feature  

if i set to 20gb  free minum   i could not be allowed ot even copy a 1 meg file.. thats it  20gb  no more no less... so then if i tried to copy 1meg  it says drive reached to min  move to the next drive..  but i guess also that gives wiggle room for alterting files.

guess i need to re reorganze files 

as my sister has documents ranging 1kb - 100 meg or so and she has 100gb  or more  so it still  filled my disk 1  reason i was saying it goes below 100 meg free yet set to 20gb and then it comes back up   and is at 12gb

as i tried to keep all my drives above the min free of 20 gb

probably need to play with settings i guess  as i figured things would goto the 12TB disk free but really nothings copied over there yet

and thats because of the unraid doesnt know what the file size is ahead of time.. how come it cant see it

but windows can? windows will tell you always  cant copy not enough disk space..  

Edited by comet424

oh i had another scenerio  question

so if you have a file thats say 10GB

your folder is set to min 20gb ,,  your actual free space is 5gb free..   now if  i change that 10gb file to 25gb say it was a PDF  just as an example

does unraid move that file to a different drive?  as the file increased 15gb  or would it say  out of diskspace? how does that work

8 minutes ago, comet424 said:

but it doesnt stop you copying  say 10k of 1kb files or 2kb files and filling the drive down to 0kb 

It does if using the user shares, not with disk shares, once you past the minium free space set it won't start copying anything to that disk, unless like mentioned the split setting is making it go there.

4 minutes ago, comet424 said:

your folder is set to min 20gb ,,  your actual free space is 5gb free..   now if  i change that 10gb file to 25gb say it was a PDF  just as an example

does unraid move that file to a different drive?  as the file increased 15gb  or would it say  out of diskspace? how does that work

It would run out of space, once a file is on an array disk it will never be moved by Unraid to a different one.

ah ok  so its not 100% fool proof

and i use the user share  in krusader   /unraid_shares/<share folder name>

so not using disk shares  still copying to the user share  i just was hoping it wouldnt go below 20gb no matter what   it reached 20gb and it should moved to the next drive.. soo all my drives then should be 20 20 20 20 free space.. and then least id have headroom for file modification

but copying the 100 gb or so of documents of 1k-100meg  filled disk 1 down like i mentioned to under 100meg and now i at 12gb free..

is  unraid_shares  is it considered a user share or a disk share then in krusader?  maybe its not considered a user share.. i just trying to make it fool proof

incase i not around  and somone needs to copy say 100gb  of documents raging 1kb-100meg  it doesnt keep filling disk1  as disk 1 is now 12gb free but 20gb min

because if id edit anything in windows and the file is on disk 1  ill keep getting out of disk space then  since you said  unraid wont move a file..

i wanted it fool proof  if i cant do moving files to a different disk with krusader  when it goes below the min 20gb  etc

i guess the only thing is set documents or sisters files  to Disk 1  move everything off disk 1  to a different disk..

guess thats what i gotta do  set her stuff to her own drive on the array  this way nothing else  can cause it go below and her stuff cant cause my other drives to go below either

more tweaking to play with..  i appreciate all the input so far.. always learning 🙂

1 minute ago, comet424 said:

still copying to the user share  i just was hoping it wouldnt go below 20gb no matter what   it reached 20gb and it should moved to the next drive.. soo all my drives then should be 20 20 20 20 free space.. and then least id have headroom for file modification

It won't if it's correctly configured, I never used Krusader but as long as you're really using user shares it will respect the minimum free space for that share.

oh ok..  do you or is there a correctly configured setup examples?

ah i use Krusader as i saw space invader uses.. and when my sister gives me files  on a drive it was easy to put it into the server  used krusader off it .. was was quicker then trying to plug into my windows machine  and then move the files off external enclosure over the network to the array.. i just found krusader was easier and i could set it and forget it as its working on its own

what do you use for file transfering  on the unraid  between unassigned drives and array.. and any pics you could share  that shows properly configured  user shares.  so i can see i doing right or where i should fix...  ..

always learning.. i learn something new everyday 🙂

ah ok rysnc i not that good at mc ok  reminds me of pcanywhere   and krusader what i used thats how i started this cuz i was  sure krusader   moves all the files to disk 1  brings drive from 20gb free min to under 100meg free and then i guess it moves the files to the next free space drive

i dunno if i know how to configure it right  so if i copying a 1 meg file  to the array in krusader and if disk 1 says 20gb free 20gb min   that it can  no longer copy that 1 meg file to Disk 1.. it has to move to the next disk

but for now.. i using unbalance and move my sisters files to the 1 drive 12tb free.. her stuff was across 5 disks i didnt have the disk space till about week ago  when  i added the 12tb to the array.. so i can sort drives now...

🙂 thanks for helping so far.. i appreciate it.. as i just guess sometimes when google searches dont always help

so then that means my user share not set right?

since i was at like say 40gb free..  min set is 20gb and it went under 100meg  and is at 12gb?

here is screen shot..  the only thing i changed is Disk 7.. before it was set to All

because when i was copying like i said 50gb  of files of 1kb - 100 meg in file size  it just ripped it down there.. but then i watched Free Space slowly going like 1gb  1.2gb till it hit 12gb free...  is my setting wrong then?

that when you hit 20gb free/min  it has to automacitlly goto next drive

so like the 2 disks theey are at 19.5  i using unbalance to move to disk 7  so my disk 1 doesnt show the 12gb free..  

i wonder if there should be a different option.. instead a Min Folder/Disk  if there be a Minum  Disk min space 

so Disk 1 cant go below 20gb  Disk 2 cant go below 100gb 

but thats fine..    is my settings wrong

i was only using krusader to copying  from unnasigned drived to unraid_shares/mitchs files     and thats how it went far below  but her files are not all that big...  i wish i had a video t oshow it was above 20gb min  then it went right down to below 100meg then went back up

now i cant recreate what i was seeing.. then you could told me your crazy or ur right or..  thats hows its supposed to be working...

as i have a hard time with my dislexia way i explain it  others dont understand what i saying without me showing..  as it sounds right way i explaining but i confuse others

unraid 1.PNG

unraid 2.PNG

Edited by comet424

i was copying from Unassigned Drive  to the array in Krusader

so  i borrowed my sisters unraid hard drive .. i selected the folders from the left and i copied it to the right...  to the array

so unassigned drive to array

and thats where i was seeing disk space would hit 100 meg  then it would then work disk 2 to goto like 2gb free...  i didnt watch if it also went to 100meg i cant remember now..

but then it eventually started going back up....   and krusader would lots of times stick to "stalled"  and not copy anymore  i figured it was not able to leave the file there so it buffered it to the next drive.....  since my sister lives a couplr hours drive   and she brought her hard drive so  i found it faster then my 5megabit internet..

but thats what i found.. it just took the free space below   the min...   especially the documents took it down.... i never tried move.  just the copy and chose write into   not overwrite as i already had some of her files...  so i wanted to finish the transfer as she givesm e files every so often meet her half way to transport

hope it helps

ive done a couple reboots of my unraid since last night .. i figured maybe the going below  20gb min  was a glitch that i had hit 100meg free so i couldnt give a diagnostic file anyways..  but thats my current copying i was doing last night

unraid 3.PNG

so would the reason it was now stuck at 12gb free  is because 1 file was still big brought it below  20gb and left ti at 12gb.. but the other files brought it down to 100 megs free and then moved to disk 2 3 and so on...  cuz i not 100% sure it was working right then  as it shouldnt gone down to 100 megs free..  i wish i had screen shots or videos.. as im sure you think i crazy ..  but since now i moving things with unbalance i cant re create what i was experiencing..  i should taken pics...  its like  you experiencing computer problems you take to the computer store to them them show them it doesnt happen say way and they say your crazy there is no issues..... cuz least i could shown and then ud say yes working right or not it should never hit 100 meg free then go up to 12gb free and move to the next drive

would it been

if it was copying a file say 100gb  and it was copying to 20gb free and went down to 100meg  and then said opps too big  then moved to next drive

or it sees 100gb  file and 40gb free  and 20gb min  it wont fit move to next drive.. 

i  just dont understand how it could gone to 100 meg  or less i cant remember if i saw it goto less 100 meg i just remember 100 meg free and now it was 12gb free..

sorry i cant explain it better.. i know i crazy and its working fine how it should you say...

next time i taking more pics  and a video if i can then i can get told if its working right or not

unraid 4.PNG

Edited by comet424

thats because i mentioned above yur screen shot post  i using Unbalance to move files to disk7 to try to make it so like my sisters files are on 1 drive not 6, and unable to recreate  the issues now..  when i wrote the help this morning    Disk 1 had 12.1gb free  this morning at time of starting this post...

hopefully  with me moving files with unbalance.. and me setting all the drives to split automatic and 20gb min  it solves it all  

as i trying to sort my drives now to fit certain things on 1 drive not span it over all the drives 

so thats why it looks like 135gb   unbalance is running moving files from 6 disks to Disk 7... as i just added the 12tb  free space drive  last week to the array.. and figured may unbalance fix this..  going  down to 100meg..  like i mentioned i wish i had screen shots..  no one ever believes you  unless you got screen shots