"Windows" Share does no longer accessable

You might want to start here and read the PDF file in the first post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/?tab=comments#comment-1009109

Next thing to realize is that there are not a lot of people using Windows 11 yet.   Furthermore, MS continues to increase security with each release.  Playing 'wack-a-mole' to force Windows to use 2010 security protocols is--- in the long run ---a frustrating losing battle. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the link to the interesting Article and I agree with you - for my background - I am a cybersecurity consultant so I know what you are talking about I think.

I also found the reason for the "inaccessable Z: Share" is actually a small gift from the Windows 11 preview install as I found out.

See what this is:  (An UEFI  System Partition with 100 MB what the heck ? :)  And to make things worse its Mounted as a drive but not accessable so it actually blocks my mapping script from using the Z: as a drive letter - so it never mounts the share in the 1st place - well the Win 11 Preview looks good but yes it has its quirks. Another thing not to try is activate Hyper V in Windows 11 - it instantly made my laptop non bootable after reboot and I had to reinstall the win 11 preview again without the Hyper V activation. But then Windows 10 and 11 did boot again.

So happy that this time its not an issue of Unraid in that respect :) So from the Unraid side this problem should be resolved.

image.thumb.png.9e3e6cfd08861e30f557869abc842d54.png

The reason why I map drive letters to unc paths is that not all Windows Software handles UNC paths really well. I know in 2021 they should be able to handle this but there is a lot of instances where the UNC path does not work - in addition some software is even crippled to not allow the unc path directly. And if you ever try to work with VHDX there is even the case of the DNS names do not work reliable but the IP Adress used in combination of a VHDX always works. Address is the same but result is not and DNS resolves ok.

As I use multiple Computers and OS i use a mapping script for Windows so I can expect the same "Drive Layout" on each Windows Machine. The Mapping script resides on my Onedrive and is always on the drive from the settings. I prefer UNC Path (Windows) or Volumes (Mac OS) where possible it just throws up sometimes if the Drivecount changes for some reason.

• Like 1

just to show what I have setup :  In Windows I do have a script that is planned to run at logon that maps all the drives in the right places:

mapping.cmd:

net use * /delete /yes
net use o: \\dellnas\Windows /savecred
net use A: \\dellnas\Audio /savecred
net use B: \\dellnas\Winbackup /savecred
net use P: \\dellnas\Pictures /savecred
net use M: \\dellnas\Movies /savecred
net use h: "\\dellnas\Windows\Windows Home\Harald" /savecred
rem z1nas shares
net use i: "\\z1nas\windows" /savecred
net use j: "\\z1nas\pictures" /savecred
net use k: "\\z1nas\winbackup" /savecred
net use l: "\\z1nas\Music" /savecred
net use n: "\\z1nas\documents" /savecred

There is maybe an more elegant way with powershell but thats easy enough as a scheduled task.

yes I do have 2 Unraid Servers running :) Each one with 4x 4TB drives in a Dell T30 Server Tower. They have been really reliable no questions asked.

On my Macs I also have a similar setup just mapped as "logon objects" for the users which works for the most part and also for Timemachine.

image.png

1 hour ago, Anubclaw said:

Thank you for the link to the interesting Article and I agree with you - for my background - I am a cybersecurity consultant so I know what you are talking about I think.

I also found the reason for the "inaccessable Z: Share" is actually a small gift from the Windows 11 preview install as I found out.

See what this is:  (An UEFI  System Partition with 100 MB what the heck ? :)  And to make things worse its Mounted as a drive but not accessable so it actually blocks my mapping script from using the Z: as a drive letter - so it never mounts the share in the 1st place - well the Win 11 Preview looks good but yes it has its quirks. Another thing not to try is activate Hyper V in Windows 11 - it instantly made my laptop non bootable after reboot and I had to reinstall the win 11 preview again without the Hyper V activation. But then Windows 10 and 11 did boot again.

So happy that this time its not an issue of Unraid in that respect :) So from the Unraid side this problem should be resolved.

image.thumb.png.9e3e6cfd08861e30f557869abc842d54.png

IF you are in a formal testing program involving MS for Windows 11, you should probably file a report about this...

Nods I agree there too I am only a nosey Network and Security Guy living on the "bleeding edge" of technology which has fun testing things out and testing the limits as well :)

I was waiting for an ISO of the Win11 preview to get an early impression what changed. I joined the "Microsoft Insider" and i recieve detailed messages from Microsoft about each patch day. I am part of the Apple Developer Program just so I can access the new stuff early and give feedback when possible.  Actually its similar with unraid running one Server on unraid 9.2 and the other with Unraid 10rc1 . Some of this gives me an advantage in my job but I am not getting paid for testing anything yet besides whatever Customer wishes come up on the consulting job ;)