Upgrading to V6 from V5.0.5

Hi,

I have fired up my old unraid server that is running 5.0.5 and can get to the console but not access the webgui from another PC.  I don't care about the old config as I am going to blow all the drives away and start over to try and get a clean install.  I just want to preserve my existing license key on the USB.  I have tried looking at the  Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide but the hyperlink isn't working.  I'm a little lost as to what to try next.

Edited by fido666
add info

Thanks got it done with a bit of mucking around, machine had been switched off so long it had lost some BIOS settings.  Also had to use the manual method to make up the USB.  Good that I saved the key file though as it was a Plus license.  Now I just have to work out how to run preclears on all the drives again, a couple came up with warnings.  I also have another UnRaid server that is running fine, just need some more storage LOL.

Having trouble getting the network interface running so I can download the community applications plugin.  Have tried replicating settings from my other running server but no joy so far.  I know the network point on my switch is working as I had a Windows 10 PC plugged into it earlier today.

ETA:  For some reason I'm only seeing interface "LO" not ETH0 on the Dashboard summary.  The server is a HP Microserver N36L with a single ethernet port.  Have tried everything but I'm stumped now.

Edited by fido666
3 hours ago, fido666 said:

it had lost some BIOS settings

You might want to change your check/change your motherboard battery.

2 hours ago, fido666 said:

Having trouble getting the network interface running so I can download the community applications plugin.  Have tried replicating settings from my other running server but no joy so far.  I know the network point on my switch is working as I had a Windows 10 PC plugged into it earlier today.

ETA:  For some reason I'm only seeing interface "LO" not ETH0 on the Dashboard summary.  The server is a HP Microserver N36L with a single ethernet port.  Have tried everything but I'm stumped now.

If you are now on a recent v6, you might share your diagnostics. It could show what is your network issue.

Go to Tools / Diagnostics and attach the full zip to your next post.

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

Not seeing ethtool results in diagnostics either. Or a network interface in lspci

It's listed under the Network Settings, Bonding set to No, Bridging set to Yes.  MAC Address not displaying.  Network activity light on server not flashing.  2 solid green lights on the port connector.

Edited by fido666
36 minutes ago, trurl said:

What do you get from the command line with this:

ethtool *

and this:

lspci

For ethtool * I get :-

Settings for br0:

Supported Ports: [ ]

Supported Link Modes: Not reported

Supported pause frame use: No

Supports auto negotiation: No

Supported FEC modes: Not reported

Advertised link modes: Not reported

Advertised pause frame use: No

Advertised auto negotiation: No

Advertised FEC modes: Not Reported

Speed: Unkown!

Duplex: Unknown! (255)

Auto-negotiation: Off

Port: Other

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: Internal

Settings for lo:

Link detected: yes

Settings for br0:

Link detected: yes

For lspci I will take a screen shot and post back.

Was thinking it might be a dead nic.  Might be a while before I can pull it apart to add another, in the middle of packing up my house to move.  Don't think there is any bios setting to enable it but will check again.

ETA: checked BIOS, the only NIC related option in the BIOS is "Embedded NIC Port 1 Control" which is set to "enabled", MAC address also displays in main BIOS screen.

Edited by fido666
3 minutes ago, trurl said:

No reason to think any software changes would fix a NIC that isn't even being detected by the software.

I thought it might possibly be a configuration issue, did not hurt to try.  Oh well it's an old server so might be time to retire it unless I can find a suitable low profile nic card for it.

11 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It not a software problem, it's not being detected at a hardware level, like if there's no NIC there.

Yes I understand that now.  Going to salvage the drives and USB key in case I can't get a replacement nic for my HP Microserver N36L, the standard NIC is integrated to the motherboard so need to find a low profile one for the 1 spare slot I have.