All disks on SAS expander have 10k+ UDMA errors

I realize this could be the host controller, the cable in between, the SAS expander, or the PCIe slot on the server... But I just plugged in 8 disks via a host/SAS expander combo and unraid immediately lost its mind, throwing 10k UDMA errors on some disks and up to 19k UDMA errors on others.  All disks attached to the expander chain have the same issue.

I used to get these a lot, using 5-in-3 backplanes, and usually fiddling with the SATA cable and/or ignoring the errors completely caused no major issues.

But 100% of the disks, at once, and with such a high error count..... I'm nervous about adding any of them to the array at this point.

Comments?

• 2 weeks later...

OK.

I got rid of the expander and all cables.

I now have the LSI with four external ports, an 8088 -> 4x SATA cable, and my drives.

Just plugged four drives into said cable, and one immediately threw 14000 CRC errors.  In addition, two of the four drives connected show up as "Dev 4" and "Dev 6" and show all SMART attributes.  The other two are "sds" and "sdt" and show no SMART attributes and will not let me run a SMART test.

I'm curious if the CRC error reporting is because unraid has noticed the drives... that is to say, I am hoping the error count does not climb.  I'm not going to add them to the array.  Should I mount them individually and move some data around to test them, to see if the error counts rise?

Is there a way to reset the CRC error count?

Edited by tucansam
7 hours ago, tucansam said:

s there a way to reset the CRC error count

No.  

The CRC error count is stored internally in the drive and never resets.   It typically indicates a connection issue (e.g. power and/or SATA cabling) rather than a problem with the drive, and if that is rectified the best you can do is make it stop increasing.