X11SPM - breaking up USB ports within IOMMU group

NickG

Hello,

Curious if there is a way to separate this IOMMU group of USB ports?  The image below shows what I have.  I'd like to separate so I can pass through some of the ports to a Windows VM.  Any possibility of doing this?  MB is the X11SPM-F.

image.thumb.png.00d475b0a0ccc69bc9bb1b0005dd791f.png

10 hours ago, NickG said:

Hello,

Curious if there is a way to separate this IOMMU group of USB ports?  The image below shows what I have.  I'd like to separate so I can pass through some of the ports to a Windows VM.  Any possibility of doing this?  MB is the X11SPM-F.

image.thumb.png.00d475b0a0ccc69bc9bb1b0005dd791f.png

There is only one PCI controller, you can pass thru specific USB devices to a VM, via the VM config or using hot plug plugins, my USB Manager plugin allows hotplug and automatic connections.

What are you trying to acheive? 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay here, I typed a reply and thought I sent it but realize now it didn't go through.  Anyway I was trying to utilize some USB ports on the MB for a windows VM but they seem to all be under one controller.  Since I initially asked this question I found that in the VM template I could see the USB devices I had plugged in (Logitech joystick, Snowball microphone) and checked the box to pass them through, and they worked.  Not sure how that works since there is only one controller but it's been working just fine. 

You can do two things as far as I know:

1. passthorugh the usb controller --> all ports available in the vm, you can do this only if you have another usb controller with the unraid usb plugged in, otherwise it will not be available for passthrough <-- but I think it's njot what you want

2. passthrough single usb devices, explained by Simon: note --> you are not passing the usb port, but the usb device attached to it.