NVMe -> Pcie 4x adapter doesn't seem to be recognized. Has anyone successfully used a SilverStone ECM22?

Hey all,

I had a SilverStone ECM22 laying around and I wanted to get rid of the dual 500gb drives I was using in raid-0 using the onboard nvme slots, as it just makes me nervous, so I put a Samsung 980 in this and was hoping to transfer the stuff from the raid over to it, then install the 980 in one of the onboard slots and put one of the other drives in this as permanent side storage, but it doesn't seem to be recognized.  Has anyone ever used one with Unraid? It seems like it should be pretty universally compatible based on the description, but that doesn't mean much I suppose.

If not, is there any that anyone knows of that might work? I suppose I could get another NVMe to USB adapter just for quickly transferring stuff over, which I guess I will do if this doesn't work.

The hardware in the box currently is a Ryzen 5 2600 on an MSI Gaming plus motherboard.

Thanks,

-MH

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZNWS9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

The other common culprit is the PCIE slot is disabled due to shared lanes being in use elsewhere.

There is also the possibility there is some compatibility issue with the riser card and the 980 being a pcie 4.0 device, similar issues effect some people for GPUs.

The drive itself is one of the older 980s, a pcie 3.0 device. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V83JZH4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details)

What you mentioned about the slot being disabled is a possibility, though. I have not had a chance to hook a monitor to the server yet. Hopefully I will have the chance to do that here soon, as well as checking the lights on the card as vr2lo mentioned, then I will report back.

It seems like it may be lack of lanes. I have the two NVMe drives on the motherboard, an older AMD video card, a Asus 10gbe pcie card, and tried to add in this one, so I am thinking it must just be too much. I could not get it to see it at all anywhere in the bios, etc. I will just have to clear off those two NVMes to spindle disks, remove them, add in the new one, then just transfer back from the spindles. Not a big deal really.

I appreciate the help/ideas.

Edited by MostHated