Question re: X8SIL-F and Arctic Cooling PWM fans

ratmice

Hoping to get a little guidance. I have a couple of Arctic Cooling F8 fans that I would like to use to replace the 2 rear case fans on a Norco 4220. Eventually I would like to replace all fans with quieter PWM fans. my thought is to daisy chain the rear fans together on one MoBo fan connector, and the fan wall fans on another (eventually). Theses fans allow daisy chaining up to five on one 4-pin connector. I would also like to get the fan speed controlled by the HDD temp by using one of the scripts on the forums ( way down the road ).

1. The AC fans have a splitter that allows piggybacking onto the CPU fan connector, or daisy chaining additional fans. I assume this is only for MoBos with one connector. These fans have three wires going to the MoBo connection (female, 4pin) AND a separate yellow wire on it's own 3 wire, female connector. The second, auxiliary connection is made through a male 4pin connector, which has all 4 wires attached to the main connector. As I understand it, the yellow wire is the sense wire to monitor fan rotation speed.  If using a separate connector on the MoBo should I just attach the yellow wire to the aux. Connector to get all 4 wires connected to pins on the main connector? Or does it need to be attached to a separate connector? The manual shows connecting the yellow wire on a separate 3pin connector on the MoBo, which I don't have.

2. I assume that for all fans in the chain only 1 sense wire needs to be hooked up as they are all spinning at the same speed.

Archived