Passthrough of ConBee II Zigbee USB Gateway to Home Assistant Virtual Machine

danioj

5 minutes ago, JalmarVerbraak said:

I just tried it with the select and optional selected and it now shows Connected(Serial) in the usb tab but now its working if less in homeassistant.

It should not be selected in the template.

You should select the /dev/serial/by-id/usb-QEM....... name in HA

image.png.8b6901316e55d0e98f69050c966a3b7a.png

image.thumb.png.63c35adb647f64c2eee9fd1fd09460e1.png

Remove any entries from the XML, Connected(Outside) means that the USB device is attached outside of USB Manager.

Make sure not selected in template.

VM must be stopped and then started for USB Manager to map correctly.

Status should say Connected(serial).

Once it is connected you should be able to attach in HA

35 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Remove any entries from the XML, Connected(Outside) means that the USB device is attached outside of USB Manager.

I decided that it was probably better that i would make a fresh VM with the conbee connected. It does say in the USB tab that it is connected(Serial) which is a good start. It shows in Homeassistant but when I add it it doesn't show me the option to select a radio format(I believe it's called something like that. You can select what kind of zigbee adapter you are using) I can only choose one of the options shown below for the network formation. Erase network settings an form a new network only gives errors. and Keep radio network settings loads the integration but is also giving an error which i added below the other picture.

2009263784_Screenshot2022-11-02at21_34_42.png.741321a5c5041e0c7e380e7f6e3a3d28.png1246914779_Screenshot2022-11-02at21_26_00.thumb.png.d9b706c5dad749649879a2443f0e9f44.png388076954_Screenshot2022-11-02at21_25_47.png.c92f9f78c21863b88deef6eb6f80f68b.png

On 11/2/2022 at 8:38 PM, JalmarVerbraak said:

I decided that it was probably better that i would make a fresh VM with the conbee connected. It does say in the USB tab that it is connected(Serial) which is a good start. It shows in Homeassistant but when I add it it doesn't show me the option to select a radio format(I believe it's called something like that. You can select what kind of zigbee adapter you are using) I can only choose one of the options shown below for the network formation. Erase network settings an form a new network only gives errors. and Keep radio network settings loads the integration but is also giving an error which i added below the other picture.

2009263784_Screenshot2022-11-02at21_34_42.png.741321a5c5041e0c7e380e7f6e3a3d28.png1246914779_Screenshot2022-11-02at21_26_00.thumb.png.d9b706c5dad749649879a2443f0e9f44.png388076954_Screenshot2022-11-02at21_25_47.png.c92f9f78c21863b88deef6eb6f80f68b.png

Did you get it to work or is it still not working?

I updated my Unraid from 6.9.2 to 11.1.2.

At first HA with Conbee II and serial passthrough didn't work. I changed nothing in HA or somewhere else with a code or so.

In Unraid I switched the Conbee device to serial connect. In HA i had to reconfigure the 'radio'. Here I chose the emulated USB with QEMU and not the Conbee Stick. 

After that everything worked perfectly. No change in code or somewhere else. It's stable and working. :)

On 11/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, Björn Schwarz said:

I updated my Unraid from 6.9.2 to 11.1.2.

At first HA with Conbee II and serial passthrough didn't work. I changed nothing in HA or somewhere else with a code or so.

In Unraid I switched the Conbee device to serial connect. In HA i had to reconfigure the 'radio'. Here I chose the emulated USB with QEMU and not the Conbee Stick. 

After that everything worked perfectly. No change in code or somewhere else. It's stable and working. :)

I'm trying to understand this to see if I can do the same. Can you explain this deeper?

1 hour ago, sterling90 said:

When I select keep radio network settings it will finish the setup but not work, and if i select erase network settings and form a new network, it says failed. 

How are you mapping the USB device. You need to map as a serial device and will show in HA like this

image.thumb.png.20ec5b92cbfa28f2bdfe768dfca426eb.png

If you are using my plug, mappings need to be as follows:

image.thumb.png.d92cc05c005209bca22e2abb73b92383.png

1 hour ago, SimonF said:

How are you mapping the USB device. You need to map as a serial device and will show in HA like this

Yep that's the way I'm setup. Almost identical on the HA side. 

Update:

I just installed an USB extender and that was the issue. It was too close to my Z-Wave USB and possibly too close to the computer for it's liking. This was the reason why it was failing the radio setup

thanks for your help though!

1 hour ago, SimonF said:

image.thumb.png.20ec5b92cbfa28f2bdfe768dfca426eb.png

If you are using my plug, mappings need to be as follows:

image.thumb.png.d92cc05c005209bca22e2abb73b92383.png

UN USB.jpg

HA USB.jpg

Edited by sterling90
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 11/2/2022 at 8:50 PM, SimonF said:

Thank you so much!!! This did it for me after hours of debugging.

1 hour ago, coltonc18 said:

Hello, 

Where do I find this serial port mapping?  I've checked my dashboard, I've checked under the USB manager settings, and I can't seem to see this option to activate serial mapping on my Conbee 2.  

Thanks!

If you click on the image.png.871b2cbb52ed106517bc012f5f5ff09a.png port or device icon it will take you to the settings.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am having this issue. I am having some trouble following the instructions. 

Right now in the "USB" tab via USB Manager I have this setup.

When going into the USB Settings there is both "Device" and "Port" settings. I do not think my Conbee is attached in "serial" mode.

Where are the "hardware" screenshots coming from? I am having trouble finding that.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 9.25.58 PM.png

3 hours ago, gustyScanner said:

Hello,

I am having this issue. I am having some trouble following the instructions. 

Right now in the "USB" tab via USB Manager I have this setup.

When going into the USB Settings there is both "Device" and "Port" settings. I do not think my Conbee is attached in "serial" mode.

Where are the "hardware" screenshots coming from? I am having trouble finding that.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 9.25.58 PM.png

Should say connect(serial). Remove the port mapping and try as a device mapping to see it that resolves the issue.

Edited by SimonF
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, SimonF said:

Should say connect(serial). Remove the port mapping and try as a device mapping to see it that resolves the issue.

Thank you for the help. I do see connect(serial) now.

I wonder if I need to change a setting in HomeAssistant. I now see this error when the HomeAssistant Zigbee add-on starts. Note, I have removed the serial number from these logs:

Error setting up entry ConBee II, s/n: XXXX8982 - dresden elektronik ingenieurtechnik GmbH for zha

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 322, in open self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR | os.O_NOCTTY | os.O_NONBLOCK) FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXX58982-if00' During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 325, in open raise SerialException(msg.errno, "could not open port {}: {}".format(self._port, msg)) serial.serialutil.SerialException: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXX58982-if00: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXX58982-if00'

Seems closer, also seems like possibly the mount for serial/by-id is wrong? Here is what I see on my Unraid in CLI:

root@Tower:~# cd /dev/serial/by-id/
root@Tower:/dev/serial/by-id# ls
usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXX58982-if00@

Its very odd because the serial ID is the same, the paths I see in the error and in the above ls command are the same.

Hopefully this info is helpful, thank you again.

3 hours ago, gustyScanner said:

Thank you for the help. I do see connect(serial) now.

I wonder if I need to change a setting in HomeAssistant. I now see this error when the HomeAssistant Zigbee add-on starts. Note, I have removed the serial number from these logs:

Error setting up entry ConBee II, s/n: XXXX8982 - dresden elektronik ingenieurtechnik GmbH for zha

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 322, in open self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR | os.O_NOCTTY | os.O_NONBLOCK) FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXX58982-if00' During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 325, in open raise SerialException(msg.errno, "could not open port {}: {}".format(self._port, msg)) serial.serialutil.SerialException: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXX58982-if00: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXX58982-if00'

Seems closer, also seems like possibly the mount for serial/by-id is wrong? Here is what I see on my Unraid in CLI:

root@Tower:~# cd /dev/serial/by-id/
root@Tower:/dev/serial/by-id# ls
usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXX58982-if00@

Its very odd because the serial ID is the same, the paths I see in the error and in the above ls command are the same.

Hopefully this info is helpful, thank you again.

If you goto settings -> hardware and show all hardware then you will find the serial by id you need to use this one in your config not the host one.

image.thumb.png.0aec92bb180e71eb61e333887ab95f9a.png

I'm sorry I must be blind. I do not see "Hardware" under settings on my Unraid server. In your screenshot is 

I see Hardware in my HomeAssistant VM but it looks different from the screenshot.

I've attached screenshots of what I think are the relevant pages. I currently have a Z Wave stick passed through (working on the Wave integration), and the Conbee II for Zigbee

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 7.10.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 7.07.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 7.09.58 PM.png

• 7 months later...

For anyone else running though this and struggling like i did, here are the Basic errors i made spelt out. in the hope it will help someone, or me if i ever need to go though this again in the future.

After spending several hours going through this forum and some home assistant ones - i undid everyting and restarted from scrach and found a basic error/assumption i had made on unraid that solved my issue.

I updated the conbee 2 firmware folling this - Conbee Firmware update

(this is the only change i didn't roll back.)

i plugged the conbee stick into a USB extension cable (2m) and moved it away from other elecrtical devices.

UNRAID:

image.png.2c65145288eaa2861af2472ac54e15df.png

in USB Manager - this is were my basic mistake happened...

image.thumb.png.2283eabf2b09af0ba2687ba68b8a54cf.png

i mapped the device NOT the port by clicking on the monitor not the usb symbol. -previously i was mapping the port instead of the device.

image.png.8fe6ac08d43e917d8b5da0fcd749e1c2.png

Made sure connect as serial only was selected, powered up the VM. USB manager showed "connected(Serial).

in HA: Version 2023.10.3 latest at time of writing.

HA Did not detect the conbee stick as being connected - attaching the via the port It was detecting it. - but failing

Settings --> System --> Hardware -->all Harware.

the stick now shows as

image.png.32026ff9ba65b30c640a3b2a50818965.png

dont exactly know why but hey ho..

image.thumb.png.0feb5e4982091616f4881a5e3c9e08c0.png

going back to device and services and adding the integration Zigbee home automation, and follwoing the promts set a new network up for me without any problems.

Hope this helps someone or future me...

Edited by Belcraig
  • 3 months later...

anyone else with a conbee 2 been down since december? I have and cannot seem to get it back working. I upgraded the firmware using a separate laptop, have USB manager set to connect as serial and right now its showing up as QEMU in HA. I've also had it showing as dresden, but it fails to connect during the integration install no matter what I try. I've rebooted, I've tried different integrations, i've done it all. I think its something with unraid but can't figure it out. I'm on unraid 6.12.6 and home assistant 2024.1.4