Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

10 hours ago, Hurde said:

Have you tried HW transcoding HEVC/H.265 material with HDR tone mapping enabled? I think that is currently the only thing that doesn't work correctly.

Just tested, no go with HDR tone mapping enabled, I get the following error in plex, no crash, just wont play the file. Will HW transcode a 4k HEVC/H.265 file correctly with HDR tone mapping disabled though just for reference but I think we already knew this.

[Transcoder] [AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x152cdfc030c0] No matching devices found.

• Like 2
On 11/9/2021 at 8:16 PM, Blobbonator said:

Started today with a "MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4" and a 12600k, works like a charm - with unraid  6.10.0-rc2 - the only thing not working for me is the internal 2.5Gbit Ethernet - I'm using an external gigabit dongle at the moment - using the P-Cores for my HTPC/Gaming VM and the E-Cores for all the docker stuff and so on. (Used an old Ryzen 3600 before)

Looks pretty nice so far regarding CPU usage powerdraw etc. All the cores and threads are there correctly

I have the exact same setup (motherboard + cpu + unraid version). For me the internal ethernet works, but only in 100 MBit mode. Strange... 

Everything else seems to be working fine with the new Alder Lake hardware.

6 minutes ago, Stringer said:

I have the exact same setup (motherboard + cpu + unraid version). For me the internal ethernet works, but only in 100 MBit mode. Strange... 

Everything else seems to be working fine with the new Alder Lake hardware.

Finally got my system stabilized.  Asus Prime Z690-P D4, i5-12600k.  I was having Plex/Handbrake docker instability that would inevitably take down the entire server.  Web UI hung, monitor connected to server was showing lots of errors, CPU pegged....  Ended up being a combination of issues:

1. Bad RAM stick.  1 of 4.. and yes, it's always the last one you check.  507 errors across 4 scans and all 13 Memtest tests.  Go figure.

2. XMP enabled.  Disabling seemed to smooth things out, and even speed things up?  I may try flipping this back for fun, but I doubt it.

3. Corrupted docker image, from what I believe was caused by the faulty RAM stick.  I can't explain it, but based on the issue with the RAM and the repeated system hangs/parity check and rebuilds.. I think it somehow corrupted my docker image.

4. Plex having HDR tone mapping enabled.  My understanding is that this is a known issue, and requires some Linux-side support in the kernel for the kernel to properly handle it through the iGPU?  Dunno, but definitely an issue.

Been running for about a week straight with no issues.  Hopefully that's the last of them, but I couldn't have made it this far without existing community info and support.  Thanks to all!

On 1/8/2022 at 6:42 PM, NightOps said:

Finally got my system stabilized.  Asus Prime Z690-P D4, i5-12600k.  I was having Plex/Handbrake docker instability that would inevitably take down the entire server.  Web UI hung, monitor connected to server was showing lots of errors, CPU pegged....  Ended up being a combination of issues:

1. Bad RAM stick.  1 of 4.. and yes, it's always the last one you check.  507 errors across 4 scans and all 13 Memtest tests.  Go figure.

2. XMP enabled.  Disabling seemed to smooth things out, and even speed things up?  I may try flipping this back for fun, but I doubt it.

3. Corrupted docker image, from what I believe was caused by the faulty RAM stick.  I can't explain it, but based on the issue with the RAM and the repeated system hangs/parity check and rebuilds.. I think it somehow corrupted my docker image.

4. Plex having HDR tone mapping enabled.  My understanding is that this is a known issue, and requires some Linux-side support in the kernel for the kernel to properly handle it through the iGPU?  Dunno, but definitely an issue.

Been running for about a week straight with no issues.  Hopefully that's the last of them, but I couldn't have made it this far without existing community info and support.  Thanks to all!

Just want to share my experience so far.

I've got an MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 board, i5-12600k, 32gigs of corsair 3200 ram, running 6.10.0-RC2.  I've been experiencing instability issues as well. Unraid will seemingly crash, and the syslog doesn't seem to record the issue.  The Web GUI becomes unresponsive, the system won't respond to pings on the network (I'm using a dual NIC add in card as the onboard ethernet isn't working which has been mentioned in this thread already), and shares become unavailable.

When this happens, I can log in directly via a monitor hooked up directly to the server. Attempting a "powerdown" causes it to wait 90 seconds for a clean shutdown, then it tries to force shutdown which stalls there.  I'm forced to cut the power by holding the power button.  I can see the docker processes using docker ps and every one of them lists 0.0.0.0 as the IP and status as "unhealthy" at this point.

My attempts to isolate the issue so far haven't been successful.  I've set the syslog to go to a QNAP NAS I have that is running a syslog server, and I've set it to mirror to the USB hoping to glean some info from it, but so far it doesn't seem to record the problem.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and I attempted to run a MemTest last night but couldn't boot into it - turns out I need to switch from UEFI boot to BIO so I can run it.  I'm going to do that tonight.

I had set up iGPU transcoding as per the details in this thread.  I set this up immediately upon building the machine so I'm not sure this issue would have occurred without it.  I tried disabling it by turning it off in plex itself.  Crashed.  I tried disabling HDR mapping, crashed.  I tried turning off XMP profiles.  Crashed.

The crashing is also inconsistent.  It'll work for half a day, then crash 3 times in an hour.  I tried starting a windows VM I installed, crashed when I started it.

I have only three ideas as to what the issue could be.  1.) bad memory (going to run that memtest tonight to find out, 2.) the /dev/dri iGPU is somehow causing it to hang up, and 3.) I wonder if maybe the containers switching between the efficiency cores and the power cores are causing a problem - I may set the plex docker container to be pinned to either the efficiency cores or the power cores to see if that resolves the issue.

So last night after it crashed and after I couldn't figure out the memtest thing (again, I need to switch to legacy boot to run it), I actually removed the device /dev/dri from the Plex container to see if that makes a difference instead of just shutting off hardware transcoding in Plex itself.  It's been over 14 hours since I did that and it hasn't crashed.

50 minutes ago, Earendur said:

I've got an MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 board, i5-12600k, 32gigs of corsair 3200 ram, running 6.10.0-RC2.  I've been experiencing instability issues as well. Unraid will seemingly crash, and the syslog doesn't seem to record the issue.  The Web GUI becomes unresponsive, the system won't respond to pings on the network (I'm using a dual NIC add in card as the onboard ethernet isn't working which has been mentioned in this thread already), and shares become unavailable.

When this happens, I can log in directly via a monitor hooked up directly to the server. Attempting a "powerdown" causes it to wait 90 seconds for a clean shutdown, then it tries to force shutdown which stalls there.  I'm forced to cut the power by holding the power button.  I can see the docker processes using docker ps and every one of them lists 0.0.0.0 as the IP and status as "unhealthy" at this point.

My attempts to isolate the issue so far haven't been successful.  I've set the syslog to go to a QNAP NAS I have that is running a syslog server, and I've set it to mirror to the USB hoping to glean some info from it, but so far it doesn't seem to record the problem.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and I attempted to run a MemTest last night but couldn't boot into it - turns out I need to switch from UEFI boot to BIO so I can run it.  I'm going to do that tonight.

I had set up iGPU transcoding as per the details in this thread.  I set this up immediately upon building the machine so I'm not sure this issue would have occurred without it.  I tried disabling it by turning it off in plex itself.  Crashed.  I tried disabling HDR mapping, crashed.  I tried turning off XMP profiles.  Crashed.

The crashing is also inconsistent.  It'll work for half a day, then crash 3 times in an hour.  I tried starting a windows VM I installed, crashed when I started it.

I have only three ideas as to what the issue could be.  1.) bad memory (going to run that memtest tonight to find out, 2.) the /dev/dri iGPU is somehow causing it to hang up, and 3.) I wonder if maybe the containers switching between the efficiency cores and the power cores are causing a problem - I may set the plex docker container to be pinned to either the efficiency cores or the power cores to see if that resolves the issue.

So last night after it crashed and after I couldn't figure out the memtest thing (again, I need to switch to legacy boot to run it), I actually removed the device /dev/dri from the Plex container to see if that makes a difference instead of just shutting off hardware transcoding in Plex itself.  It's been over 14 hours since I did that and it hasn't crashed.

I have had the same experience as you (been watching this board for a week now), except the NIC, my board has a 2.5gb but is running at 1gb in unraid.

I am running an asrock z690 pro and i7 12700k.
I found the hangup/crash was when plex was transcoding hevc.

I did however leave the unraid logging open and waited for a crash and noticed an error regarding receiving a message from the past when it did crash. (In hindsight I should have taken a screenshot)

Still hoping someone can find a fix that is better than removing /dev/dri and losing HW transcoding.
I have yet to do a memtest yet, but am planning to this weekend. 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:16 PM, Earendur said:

My hardware is the same: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 board, i5-12600k, 32gigs of corsair 3200 ram, running 6.10.0-RC2.

I had some instabilities/extreme slowdowns, but this was caused by a failing hard drive which took very long to respond. Now my server has been stable, so it shouldn't be a general problem with the Alder Lake hardware. I didn't do any iGPU passthrough to Plex.

One tip: You can create a bootable USB stick via memtest86.com which supports UEFI. I did a full RAM check with this. Took quite a while (whole night), but now I'm sure that the RAM sticks are fine.

One question: Are you able to start unRAID in GUI mode on your machine? My screen turns black after bootup, no GUI 😕

15 minutes ago, Stringer said:

My hardware is the same: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 board, i5-12600k, 32gigs of corsair 3200 ram, running 6.10.0-RC2.

I had some instabilities/extreme slowdowns, but this was caused by a failing hard drive which took very long to respond. Now my server has been stable, so it shouldn't be a general problem with the Alder Lake hardware. I didn't do any iGPU passthrough to Plex.

I can report that I have now been online for 1 day and 20 hours with no crashes since I removed the device /dev/dri from the Plex container.  If it remains stable for a few more days, I may re-add the device and pin the Plex container to the efficiency cores of the CPU. It's possible threads moving across different types of cores is what causes the crash, but this is pure speculation on my part so I'll have to test it out.

18 minutes ago, Stringer said:

One tip: You can create a bootable USB stick via memtest86.com which supports UEFI. I did a full RAM check with this. Took quite a while (whole night), but now I'm sure that the RAM sticks are fine.

One question: Are you able to start unRAID in GUI mode on your machine? My screen turns black after bootup, no GUI

Thanks for this tip! I actually worked late last night so I never attempted the memtest.  I'll have to do it this way to save me the trouble of switching to legacy boot.

I've never even tried to do GUI mode.  I've only ever connected remotely or through command line directly on the server.

7 hours ago, SimonF said:

How are you setting the igpu force probe?

I haven't set anything like that myself. On the old motherboard+cpu (i5-2500K) the GUI mode just worked. Since switching to the new Alder Lake hardware the screen turns black. This is only for GUI mode, I can still see the command line when I boot without GUI.

Maybe unRAID doesn't have the right drivers for the new Alder Lake iGPUs yet?

My setup:

• MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 board
  • Intel i5-12600K CPU+iGPU
  • 32gigs RAM
  • unRAID 6.10.0-RC2
  • no other GPU, only using internal via HDMI
  • Edit: Another info: booting in UEFI mode.
Edited by Stringer
1 hour ago, Stringer said:

I haven't set anything like that myself. On the old motherboard+cpu (i5-2500K) the GUI mode just worked. Since switching to the new Alder Lake hardware the screen turns black. This is only for GUI mode, I can still see the command line when I boot without GUI.

Maybe unRAID doesn't have the right drivers for the new Alder Lake iGPUs yet?

My setup:

• MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 board
  • Intel i5-12600K CPU+iGPU
  • 32gigs RAM
  • unRAID 6.10.0-RC2
  • no other GPU, only using internal via HDMI
  • Edit: Another info: booting in UEFI mode.

You need to enable support for the Alderlake i915 driver via i915.force_probe=4680 check you logs for i915 and you should see a message to that effect.

you can add this to the append line in the syslinix config or

Load intel-gpu-top from CA, but if you are running 6.10rc2 you also black list i915 driver otherwise intel top cannot load it with correct settings as it is already loaded with:  "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

• Like 1

I can report that my unraid machine has now been online for 4 days with no crashes.  The culprit seems to have definitely been the /dev/dri being added as a device to the Plex container.

image.png.2fb38bfde789e8379fd17aeb8236316d.png

I can confirm that I have HDR tone mapping disabled:

image.png.349224ae583ca86c393ff3664b333978.png

So I don't think HDR tone mapping was the cause of the crashes, at least not for me because it was not on when I had the /dev/dri device added to the container.  I still suspect it has something to do with docker or the container moving threads across the efficiency cores and the performance cores. 

I'd like to re-enable the hardware transcoding and test it by pinning the container to only the performance cores of the CPU.  But before I do, I want to ask if anyone else has had similar problems?  It seems that others have had no crashes when they add the device to the container so long as they have HDR tone mapping disabled, but that was not my experience.

4 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Could also be related to this.

Dang, that looks to be the exact issue I'm experiencing.  The transcoding wasn't always running when I was getting full system hangs, and the syslog absolutely did not have any details about the crash.

I'll comment there and indicate I'm experiencing the same thing.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:35 AM, SimonF said:

You need to enable support for the Alderlake i915 driver via i915.force_probe=4680 check you logs for i915 and you should see a message to that effect.

you can add this to the append line in the syslinix config or

Load intel-gpu-top from CA, but if you are running 6.10rc2 you also black list i915 driver otherwise intel top cannot load it with correct settings as it is already loaded with:  "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

I installed the intel-gpu-top plugin and blacklisted the driver like you said. Now the unRAID GUI mode is working, thanks!!

On 12/7/2021 at 11:12 PM, MadMatt337 said:

In case anyone is curious, I am setting up a new server now with a 12600k and ASRock Z690 Steel Legend, my onboard NIC is working correctly (Dragon RTL8125BG) on 6.10.0-rc2

Hey @MadMatt337, apologies if you have done this already.  I haven't found.  Would you mind posting you IOMMU Groups for the Z690 Steel Legend.  That board looks like a great deal right now.  

On 1/20/2022 at 10:36 PM, SP410 said:

Hey @MadMatt337, apologies if you have done this already.  I haven't found.  Would you mind posting you IOMMU Groups for the Z690 Steel Legend.  That board looks like a great deal right now.  

No problem, this is the IOMMU Groups with no ACS overrides, if you want to see with overrides I can get them later tonight, just cant restart right now.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 110055.png

• Like 1
On 1/21/2022 at 5:36 AM, SP410 said:

In case anyone is curious, I am setting up a new server now with a 12600k and ASRock Z690 Steel Legend, my onboard NIC is working correctly (Dragon RTL8125BG) on 6.10.0-rc2

Today I have build my new system:

I9 12900k, 64GB Kingston Renegade DDR4-3600

AsRock Z690 Extreme

It has two nics: One Dragon RTL and an Intel 2,5GBits and 1 GBits.

1 GBits is working so far, will test the 2,5 tomorrow.

Also can send you IOMMU groups tomorrow if you guys want to.

8 hours ago, chrizzo said:

will test the 2,5 tomorrow.

I think this depends on the revision. I have MSI board and support is in the later kernel. Info about my onboard 2.5G below. I am running a dev realease of RC3 and can confirm it is supported in  RC3(Not Public) is currently running kernel 5.15.15

But I cannot confirm works at 2.5G as dont have a 2.5G switch but works at 1Gb. Interface was not showing in RC2.

[8086:15f3] 06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)

11 hours ago, chrizzo said:

Today I have build my new system:

I9 12900k, 64GB Kingston Renegade DDR4-3600

AsRock Z690 Extreme

It has two nics: One Dragon RTL and an Intel 2,5GBits and 1 GBits.

1 GBits is working so far, will test the 2,5 tomorrow.

Also can send you IOMMU groups tomorrow if you guys want to.

Here are the IOMMU Groups:

image.thumb.png.727bdfd8afe72a9d5505acc8110c6a42.png

I am trying to get "Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 7ad0" isolated... but no success so far. 
Tried it with vfio-pci.ids, also with pcie_acs_override=downstream, multi.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Other things are working fine - also managed to do a GPU Paththrough to Windows10 VM.

Some more news: Also both NICS are working - as I only have 1GB Network, both are running of course on 1GB... but both are working.

Edited by chrizzo

Hi,

I've build a new Unraid Setup also:

ASUS PRIME Z690M-PLUS D4

i7-12700K

128 GiB DDR4

I've not added dev/dri to any container but had an sudden crash after 4 days uptime as well.

Not sure if it is related to 12th gen or something else.

Nothing special found in syslog before/after crash. 

But during runtime i've a lot of these entries:

Jan 26 06:38:52 NAS kernel: x86/split lock detection: #AC: CPU 2/KVM/9930 took a split_lock trap at address: 0xfffff802027c20a5

And also found this:

Jan 26 06:58:35 NAS kernel: #011[00] BAD  00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
Jan 26 06:58:35 NAS kernel: #011[00] BAD  ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
Jan 26 06:58:35 NAS kernel: #011[00] BAD  ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff