Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

I'm having a nightmare with am i5-12600 and a Gigabyte H610M.

6.9.2 refuses to recognise the iGPU so I've got no hw transcoding in Plex. RC2 DOES recognise the iGPU and transcoding works... but the onboard NIC doesn't work properly and I get all sorts of issues trying to get Plex to connect to the outside world.

Just to add my experience to this; I’m running an i5-12400 with an Asrock H670M Pro (DDR4 and 1Gbe Intel Ethernet). Everything seems to be working great on 6.10rc2, including networking and iGPU passthru to dockers.  Plex is able to do hw transcoding except HDR tone mapping does not work, which appears to be a bug that’s still present since Rocket Lake days. Jellyfin is able to do hw transcoding just fine with HDR tone mapping enabled. 

Overall, I’m happy with this setup which was a fairly inexpensive upgrade these days from my i7-3770 system. ($170 CPU, $140 MB, $90 32GB) and idles ~ 40W at the wall with 8 HDD, 2 SSD, and one LSI 9211-8i, which is about 10w lower than my old system. MB also has a PCI gen4x16 for a GPU in addition to the gen3x16 HBA slot, 6 fan headers, and 2 Gen4 NVME slots.  

• Thanks 1
On 2/23/2022 at 9:57 PM, cyanide1988 said:

I'm having a nightmare with am i5-12600 and a Gigabyte H610M.

6.9.2 refuses to recognise the iGPU so I've got no hw transcoding in Plex. RC2 DOES recognise the iGPU and transcoding works... but the onboard NIC doesn't work properly and I get all sorts of issues trying to get Plex to connect to the outside world.

Which NIC does your motherboard have. My MSI Z690 has the following and doesn't work on rc2. I am running an internal release of rc3 and can confirm current kernel in rc3 supports it.

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)
root@computenode:~# lspci -vs 05:00.0
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 7d25
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18, IOMMU group 17
        Memory at 50e00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Memory at 50f00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=5 Masked-
        Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number d8-bb-c1-ff-ff-8c-c9-b0
        Capabilities: [1c0] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Capabilities: [1f0] Precision Time Measurement
        Capabilities: [1e0] L1 PM Substates
        Kernel driver in use: igc
        Kernel modules: igc

• Like 1

For any one that is interested I was running a stress test this morning on a Win10 vm to show clock speeds for a question that had be posted by titus1 in another thread.

This was all p-cores allocated to the VM.

image.thumb.png.38f9fc38e392391097641261427f307e.png

With all p-cores and all bar one e-core

image.thumb.png.998e486696f16343643f7b22d284e2b3.png

and idle

image.thumb.png.6e8e4a184a2a8da99461bd5c4a2d2310.png

Edited by SimonF
6 hours ago, SimonF said:

For any one that is interested I was running a stress test this morning on a Win10 vm to show clock speeds for a question that had be posted by titus1 in another thread.

and idle

Mind me asking what CPU cooler you were running during this test?

8 hours ago, SimonF said:

and idle

But does the Intel Thread Director in Windows 11 or Intel’s Hardware Guided Scheduling (HGS) in Windows 10 work to correctly assign tasks to P and E cores in a VM? Otherwise, you probably don't want to mix them if single core speed is important for your VM. I did a very non-scientific comparison on Windows 11 and thread director didn't seem to be working for me. Including E cores appeared to lower my FPS in games. After some stability issues with Windows 11, I went back to Windows 10 with only P cores and it's working great.

1 hour ago, Rastrillo said:

But does the Intel Thread Director in Windows 11 or Intel’s Hardware Guided Scheduling (HGS) in Windows 10 work to correctly assign tasks to P and E cores in a VM? Otherwise, you probably don't want to mix them if single core speed is important for your VM. I did a very non-scientific comparison on Windows 11 and thread director didn't seem to be working for me. Including E cores appeared to lower my FPS in games. After some stability issues with Windows 11, I went back to Windows 10 with only P cores and it's working great.

Not sure have not tested that, it was just a simple test to show core speeds, normally only have pcores in the VM and leave e core to unraid.

Edited by SimonF
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm curious if those who have a 12 series intel system running how stability is? I have a Unraid system with a i7-3770 and looking to upgrade to a 12770, along with SSD upgrades and the like. 

I've read on here all the issues around GPU passthrough for Plex transcoding etc. Plus the issues around 2.5gb LAN. I understand those - but how is general stability with the 12 series Intel? I don't need to upgrade today, so am I OK to upgrade currently or better off waiting? Thanks 

4 minutes ago, allbob334 said:

I'm curious if those who have a 12 series intel system running how stability is? I have a Unraid system with a i7-3770 and looking to upgrade to a 12770, along with SSD upgrades and the like. 

I've read on here all the issues around GPU passthrough for Plex transcoding etc. Plus the issues around 2.5gb LAN. I understand those - but how is general stability with the 12 series Intel? I don't need to upgrade today, so am I OK to upgrade currently or better off waiting? Thanks 

Very stable, as long as you don’t try to use the iGPU for encoding/transcoding.  I’ve been running it for 35 days straight with no issues.

2 minutes ago, allbob334 said:

For me it's stable with an Intel 12 series CPU + MSI Z690 Pro motherboard. Current uptime of 15 days, no complaints. 

1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

How long have we had RC2 now?

1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

Hardware-Support is still crap... well...

Plex is working... HW-Transcoding is working... HDR-Tonemapping is working...

...i am happy with my i7-9700 😉

I really don't get the point from this post... :D :/ :D

Does Unraid work fine running on cores other than 0 these days? I remember when I first started playing around with pinning/isolation years ago, Unraid didn't play nice if I pinned/isolated core 0, even if I left, say, core 3 (the last core on a quad core CPU) entirely untouched.

So I've always just let Unraid have the first core, which is no problem with homogenous CPUs. If I went 12th gen though, I'd really hate to give up a P core if I could hand it an E core for its minor management stuff.

Just now, drumstyx said:

Does Unraid work fine running on cores other than 0 these days? I remember when I first started playing around with pinning/isolation years ago, Unraid didn't play nice if I pinned/isolated core 0, even if I left, say, core 3 (the last core on a quad core CPU) entirely untouched.

So I've always just let Unraid have the first core, which is no problem with homogenous CPUs. If I went 12th gen though, I'd really hate to give up a P core if I could hand it an E core for its minor management stuff.

I've got my last 2 E-cores isolated for unRAID, and haven't had a single issue.  I can't say I've noticed any appreciable performance issues.  Running for well over a month now with no lockups/etc.  Now if only the updated Kernel would fall into our laps for iGPU passthrough!

On 3/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, drumstyx said:

I'm with you:

I typically isolate higher cores for vms and core 0 and its hyperthreaded pair are for unraid (at minimum).   It was my intention to let unraid and dockers have all of the E cores and use all P cores for VMs.   

Looking at some posts here it looks like the P cores are at the start at 0.   Can I isolcpu cores 0-5 [and their pairs in a 12600k] and let unraid use ONLY the E cores meaning it won't have core 0 anymore.

Thanks.  

1 minute ago, dimes007 said:

I'm with you:

I typically isolate higher cores for vms and core 0 and its hyperthreaded pair are for unraid (at minimum).   It was my intention to let unraid and dockers have all of the E cores and use all P cores for VMs.   

Looking at some posts here it looks like the P cores are at the start at 0.   Can I isolcpu cores 0-5 [and their pairs in a 12600k] and let unraid use ONLY the E cores meaning it won't have core 0 anymore.

Thanks.  

You absolutely can.  The E-cores have more than enough to handle unRAID with plenty of performance.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, NightOps said:

You absolutely can.  The E-cores have more than enough to handle unRAID with plenty of performance.

Oh yeah.   I wasn't worried about the speed of the E cores.   I'm afraid that isolating core 0 would somehow mess up the OS or that unraid would still start some base processes on core 0 because it has to.   I should have been clearer.

When dedicating cores to VM's, be cautious of limiting the hosts performance too much. Keep in mind that the "motherboard" your VM is running on is a software construct running on the host. If you slow down your VM's "motherboard", you will cripple the VM the same as if you didn't give it enough RAM.

It's a better idea to approach resource allocation by giving the VM only enough to do the job properly, when your benchmarks in the VM cease to improve with added resources, back off 1 tick and leave it. Every resource you can leave for the host will go towards keeping the back end processes smooth for the VM. That is especially true of RAM, when you allocate it to the VM, the host can't use it for caching to speed up the VM's I/O.

I see many people complain that they gave the VM every last bit of CPU and RAM they could, and it STILL hesitates and stutters. Many times that is because the host has run out of resources to feed the VM what it needs.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Schmiddy said:

Version 6.10.0-rc3 Has been released now with Linux Kernel 5.15.27. Is someone able to check if the support for alderlake got better? Or do we really need to wait for the full support for 5.16?

Full support will be in 15.16.  If you are just looking for increased security and support for the thread scheduler, then rc3 is good - but if you are talking about iGPU support for QSV/transcoding, and for additional 2.5GbE support, it’s not there yet.

• Thanks 2