Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

11 minutes ago, NightOps said:

Full support will be in 15.16.  If you are just looking for increased security and support for the thread scheduler, then rc3 is good - but if you are talking about iGPU support for QSV/transcoding, and for additional 2.5GbE support, it’s not there yet.

I thought Simon was using igc for Z690A 2.5GbE in RC3. Did that not make it into the release or did I misunderstand?

Server specs
i5 12600K
gigabyte z690 UD DDR4
64GB 3600MHZ mem

General:
I also upgradded tot RC3 yesterday, First thing I saw is that my server is realy slow in starting up the array, dockers, vms (takes multiple minutes).

IGPU

It seems that the graphics on my system are now stable BUT this happend after I upgraded the bios from F5 to F6. Plex uses the igpu for transcoding but Tdarr is not able to use is (not a big problem since there is a second server working on Tdarr). I will keep you guys posted on stability of my server on RC2 plex hw transcoding would immediatly freeze my server. ( I reinstalled intel gpu top and intel gvt-g (i know not supported yet) But without gvt-g my system was crashing on RC3 when plex transcode was started. I didn't add any force probes to my syslinux for the igpu.

2.5GBE (Realtek)
This worked for me from the start (1GBE speed connected) don't have a 2.5GBE capable system but in system profiler under netwerk --> supported link modes it says 2500baseT/Full (not able to test this)

I hope this information is usefull for some of you

I can't possibly get my GUI working, i was run command echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf.

Installed intel gpu top by ich777 from Communitiy Apps

Server is working but access in GUI not work.

Spec:

i7 12700K

ASROCK z690 steal 

ddr4 32gb

unraid 6.10.rc3

On version 6.9.2 everything was work.

On 3/12/2022 at 7:34 AM, DeadDevil6210 said:

Server specs
i5 12600K
gigabyte z690 UD DDR4
64GB 3600MHZ mem

General:
I also upgradded tot RC3 yesterday, First thing I saw is that my server is realy slow in starting up the array, dockers, vms (takes multiple minutes).

IGPU

It seems that the graphics on my system are now stable BUT this happend after I upgraded the bios from F5 to F6. Plex uses the igpu for transcoding but Tdarr is not able to use is (not a big problem since there is a second server working on Tdarr). I will keep you guys posted on stability of my server on RC2 plex hw transcoding would immediatly freeze my server. ( I reinstalled intel gpu top and intel gvt-g (i know not supported yet) But without gvt-g my system was crashing on RC3 when plex transcode was started. I didn't add any force probes to my syslinux for the igpu.

2.5GBE (Realtek)
This worked for me from the start (1GBE speed connected) don't have a 2.5GBE capable system but in system profiler under netwerk --> supported link modes it says 2500baseT/Full (not able to test this)

I hope this information is usefull for some of you

Update: My server is stable so far but plex transcoding is still broken on H265/HEVC files but works flawless with H264. turned of plex transcoding until found a proper fix of kernel 5.16 comes to unraid and hopefully have full igpu support

• Like 2
On 2/24/2022 at 6:34 PM, veezer said:

Just to add my experience to this; I’m running an i5-12400 with an Asrock H670M Pro (DDR4 and 1Gbe Intel Ethernet). Everything seems to be working great on 6.10rc2, including networking and iGPU passthru to dockers.  Plex is able to do hw transcoding except HDR tone mapping does not work, which appears to be a bug that’s still present since Rocket Lake days. Jellyfin is able to do hw transcoding just fine with HDR tone mapping enabled. 

Overall, I’m happy with this setup which was a fairly inexpensive upgrade these days from my i7-3770 system. ($170 CPU, $140 MB, $90 32GB) and idles ~ 40W at the wall with 8 HDD, 2 SSD, and one LSI 9211-8i, which is about 10w lower than my old system. MB also has a PCI gen4x16 for a GPU in addition to the gen3x16 HBA slot, 6 fan headers, and 2 Gen4 NVME slots.  

How did you get Plex hw transcoding?  I'm running on a very similar setup with an i5-12400 and a Gigabyte Z690 (ddr4, 2.5gbe).  I have connectivity on the LAN (though I'm only connecting to a 1gbe network, so I can't confirm 2.5.  

But while I can get the iGPU to be recognized, plex will not hardware transcode.

root@Tuna:~# ls -al /dev/dri
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  3 root root       100 Mar 13 18:51 ./
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root      4440 Mar 13 18:54 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root        80 Mar 13 18:51 by-path/
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226,   0 Mar 13 18:51 card0
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226, 128 Mar 13 18:51 renderD128
root@Tuna:~#

root@Tuna:~# cat /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf
#options i915 force_probe=4692
blacklist i915

Tried with and without forceprobe and blacklist.

Pulling up a Plex docker console (linuxserver.io docker container):

# ls -al /dev/dri
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root        100 Mar 13 18:51 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root        360 Mar 13 18:55 ..
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root         80 Mar 13 18:51 by-path
crwxrwxrwx 1 root video1 226,   0 Mar 13 18:51 card0
crwxrwxrwx 1 root video1 226, 128 Mar 13 18:51 renderD128

From Plex's logs when attempting to transcode (this is an h264 file):

320700743_Plexlog.thumb.jpg.f2f7741a504e2876b8f567a31610ad8a.jpg

aaaaand it just falls back to software decode.  But the 12400 isn't really meaty enough to handle a lot of software decodes.

Running 6.10.rc3.

Edit: Finally got it.   

--device=/dev/dri

in the container Advanced View "Extra Parameters" field did the job.  Now, to see if it crashes.

YES.jpg.cbeea651a062fa852b6ab79db6809920.jpg

Edited by Wintersdark
9 hours ago, DeadDevil6210 said:

Update: My server is stable so far but plex transcoding is still broken on H265/HEVC files but works flawless with H264. turned of plex transcoding until found a proper fix of kernel 5.16 comes to unraid and hopefully have full igpu support

Update 2: for some reason my syslinux line: "i915.force_probe=4680" was gone after putting it back and reboting the server it is now stable for the last 12 hours. I will keep monitoring.

3 hours ago, Stringer said:

kernel 5.16 allow that?

Not sure as 5.16 is for the i915 drivers which are not used for passthru.

I have not been able to get passthru to work in a vm 

fio-pci 0000:00:02.0: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xfc44

@ghost82 Trying to passthru iGPU on 12600K but getting this error any thoughts on work arounds? I dont have a ROM on graphics card in VM Template.

Mar 14 19:06:39 computenode kernel: vfio-pci 0000:00:02.0: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xfc44

[8086:4680] 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation AlderLake-S GT1 (rev 0c)

18 hours ago, SimonF said:

Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xfc44

Hi Simon,

never had a igpu, so not expert, however that line refers to the header of the rom; kernel is expecting the header 0xaa55, but it finds 0xfc44 instead.

Are you passing a vbios?

If so, first thing to check is the vbios file: open it with a hex editor and check the first 2 bytes: does it start with "55 AA" (0xaa55 is aa55 in little-endian)? If it doesn't start with 55 AA the vbios could not have been dumped correctly.

55 AA are the bytes for standard pci roms.

Update: sorry, I read now you are not passing a rom file...

Sometimes this happen if the kernel tries to extract and load the vbios, but it is "masked"; most of the times that is because the igpu is in use by something.

Is it possible to have a vbios dump?

This could not be an "error", most of the time that line refers to expecting 0xaa55, got 0xffff, which can be totally fine, for example if the vbios has been modded to remove the efi image, or not, if the kernel can see nothing (FF FF).

However it sounds a little strange the 0xfc44 value...Again, if the extracted rom is ok, even with that signature value, that is only a warning, and you should have the passthrough working.

In real I don't think this is an issue, igpu rom should not be a "standard pci rom", so lacking 55 AA..

Looking around it seems only few people had some luck in passing through to linux guests, as far as I know no luck with windows (till now).

Edited by ghost82
On 11/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, jwoolen said:

Finally got my hardware. Here's what lstopo looks like. I have a 12700K on an ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4 board.

z690.thumb.png.9add65d9f272524b722191f20a878223.png

I don't mean to thread hijack but how do ya'll get LSTOPO / HWLOC to work?   The spaceinvader script links in his youtube video are dead and neither are in ca apps.

It looks like that 6.10-rc4 with 5.16 kernel could be behind the corner "soon". I'm not that familiar with Unraid time, let's hope that it is not the same as Valve time.

image.thumb.png.e577032df2bc9bc0a73a908a13290409.png

Let's hope that it allows full HW transcoding with HDR tone mapping & x265 support.

Edited by Hurde
On 11/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, jwoolen said:

Here's the IOMMU groupings with no overrides.

IOMMU group 5:	[8086:7ae0] 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 7ae0 (rev 11)
			Bus 001 Device 001 Port 1-0		ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
			Bus 001 Device 002 Port 1-2		ID 0b05:19af ASUSTek Computer, Inc. AURA LED Controller
			Bus 001 Device 003 Port 1-3		ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 4-Port USB 2.1 Hub
			Bus 001 Device 004 Port 1-6		ID 174c:2074 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1074 High-Speed hub
			Bus 001 Device 005 Port 1-3.1		ID 045e:02fe Microsoft Corp. XBOX ACC
			Bus 001 Device 008 Port 1-3.3		ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 4-Port USB 2.1 Hub
			Bus 001 Device 009 Port 1-6.3		ID 0a12:1243 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Audioengine HD3
			Bus 001 Device 010 Port 1-3.4		ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 4-Port USB 2.1 Hub
			Bus 001 Device 012 Port 1-3.4.4		ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
			Bus 002 Device 001 Port 2-0		ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
			Bus 002 Device 002 Port 2-2		ID 0bda:0411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 4-Port USB 3.1 Hub
			Bus 002 Device 003 Port 2-9		ID 174c:3074 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1074 SuperSpeed hub
			Bus 002 Device 004 Port 2-2.3		ID 0bda:0411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 4-Port USB 3.1 Hub
			Bus 002 Device 005 Port 2-2.4		ID 0bda:0411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 4-Port USB 3.1 Hub
			Bus 002 Device 007 Port 2-9.4		ID 090c:1000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) Flash Drive

You ever turn on overrides and see if you can pass through the Bus 2 USB to a VM?   I was able to do this once on a MB with an NEC usb 3 controller but it was probably separate iommu groups.   Regards.

30 minutes ago, Hurde said:

I'm not that familiar with Unraid time, let's hope that it is not the same as Valve time.

Temper your expectations, but not to the extent of valve.

Unraid time is it's ready when it's ready, stop asking. However, things do move ahead, just not fast enough to please everyone.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, accelaptd said:

If I'm happy to wait on the iGPU P/T are there any other catches or active issues running Alder Lake or specifically an i5-12600K/i7-12600K? I've never been on the cutting edge of hardware before, but I'm also really keen to get the new system up and running.

I'm in your camp.   I came to the conclusion that afaict, other than GPU issues, we'll be fine.   My intent is to run RC3, pass through a discrete GPU and let the CPU transcode plex until the support is fully there on 12600k.

23 hours ago, accelaptd said:

If I'm happy to wait on the iGPU P/T are there any other catches or active issues running Alder Lake or specifically an i5-12600K/i7-12600K? I've never been on the cutting edge of hardware before, but I'm also really keen to get the new system up and running.

1 hour ago, dimes007 said:

I'm in your camp.   I came to the conclusion that afaict, other than GPU issues, we'll be fine.   My intent is to run RC3, pass through a discrete GPU and let the CPU transcode plex until the support is fully there on 12600k.

This is what I am running currently, and my system has been 100% stable and running well for a couple months now running Plex (hw transcoding disabled) 10 other dockers for downloads, backup, ect. And a windows 10 VM with a Nvidia GPU passed through as well as a pcie usb controller that runs full time and gets used daily as my wife's work PC for now. No complaints. 

• Upvote 2
22 hours ago, MadMatt337 said:

This is what I am running currently, and my system has been 100% stable and running well for a couple months now running Plex (hw transcoding disabled)

This sounds like the setup I'll need to go with!  The system should be powerful enough to do transcoding in CPU.

I've forgotten how to disable Plex HW transcoding. Is it as simple as removing the passthrough /dev/dri in Docker settings, or did you change settings in Plex itself?

Finally, how does your /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf look (force_probe or blacklist), and do you have the Intel GPU TOP plugin installed or uninstalled?

21 hours ago, tombunraider said:

This sounds like the setup I'll need to go with!  The system should be powerful enough to do transcoding in CPU.

I've forgotten how to disable Plex HW transcoding. Is it as simple as removing the passthrough /dev/dri in Docker settings, or did you change settings in Plex itself?

Finally, how does your /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf look (force_probe or blacklist), and do you have the Intel GPU TOP plugin installed or uninstalled?

I don't do a ton of transcoding as most of my users are setup and able to direct play everything, but I have tested with 3 simultaneous 1080p - 720p and 1080p-1080p downgrades and it did not seem to stress the cpu too much, I was allowing full CPU access to plex, no pinning, did not test any software transcoding with 4k as I do not do/allow any 4k transcoding. I am only running a 12600k.

I just have the /dev/dri removed from the plex docker setting and HW transcoding turned off in plex itself.

I have i915 blacklisted in the config file, and I do still have Intel GPU TOP installed as well as GPU Statistics, not causing me any stability issues as long as it is not being used by plex (or anything for that matter) so I have not felt the need to remove them.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:45 PM, NightOps said:

Full support will be in 15.16.  If you are just looking for increased security and support for the thread scheduler, then rc3 is good - but if you are talking about iGPU support for QSV/transcoding, and for additional 2.5GbE support, it’s not there yet.

Is there something particular one should look at/for to know if iGPU support for UHD 770 transcode has been added. I understand it takes time and then even more time to be added to Unraid. For example if I look at a site for the release note of 15.15 I dont really understand what I am looking at, where would I look in the release notes of 15.16 or any Linux kernel release notes to know if support has been added. 

https://www.linuxcompatible.org/story/linux-kernel-51527-released/

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/diff/?id=v5.15.27&id2=v5.15.26&dt=2

Right now I am just waiting for support which is fine but would like to know how to check if support has been added. I do see under the 15.15 ther are number of drivers/gpu/drm/i915 would that be what I would look for in a 15.16 more of them?

Thanks

Edited by greencode
Clarification

Is there anything that's not on DDR5 that has the x8/x8 PCIe layout or otherwise would facilitate me being able to run an x8 HBA without having to spend my entire 5.0x16 slot on it*? I really like the MSI Carbon but it's a bit above my intended MB budget and it brings with it a colossal overspend on DDR5 RAM.  I've found the MSI Unity and the Gigabyte Aero D in similar configurations but nothing with DDR4. 

Any stray takes on good MBs for our purpose? I went down the path of thinking that it would be ASRock because they went heavy on the 8 SATAs but then started thinking PCIe would actually be better to prioritise for aforementioned HBAs but I've actually found the ecosystem a bit limiting in that respect. Is the answer to just run multiple x4 HBAs? I've been looking at the MSI Edge DDR4 that is basically the MSI Pro-A everyone likes but a bit more PCIe to play with and all the M.2s are 4.0. I think.

*I'm not entirely sure I understand how the PCIe slots work on the boards. Please tell me I'm wrong and I can jam those physically-x16-but-actually-only-3.0x4 slots full of x8 HBAs and it'll work.

Edited by accelaptd