Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

2 hours ago, Cajones said:

So I had my first crash this morning, just short of 48 hour uptime.  I was playing around with the 4k transcoding and HDR: the 4k transcode was not working at all (not sure if it was file or server, i suspect server). The HDR content is what I believe led to crash.   Something I noticed before the server locked up was that my iGPU was pegged at ~7 Watts but not actually "doing" anything and wouldn't stop drawing until the server locked up.  

It for sure doesn't work with tone mapping enabled (thats apparently an ICR issue). But either way, you can expect more lockups. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My update: as expected, minimal stability using 12500 with hardware transcoding. Server would randomly lock up. 

Pulled the igpu out of plex for now.

Major bummer, hopefully we get some added support in the near future. Really don't want to have a dedicated gpu, but might have to get one. 

12500 is able keep up with a few streams, but not many. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Me_Benjo said:

This makes me glad I kept my p2000....  It just works.

Less so me.  I sold my old 9th gen system when upgrading to my new 12400 system and transitioning to Unraid ("It all just works! It's amazing!" they said - sure, it's great, except for the lack of a heads up about this).  Over a thousand dollars in hardware and a full week of misery transfering 80tb of data and it runs worse than the old Pentium :(

It'll be better eventually of course, and Unraid is otherwise awesome, but I really hope that gets fixed quickly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, accelaptd said:

How are the RC5 adopters faring?

It runs fine, but does not allow Plex to use the igpu without crashing.  Without hardware transcoding in Plex I've had no issues whatsoever.

According to the Plex devs, that's going to require kernel support coming in 5.17/5.18

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks - I am new to Unraid and looking to invest in a server with a i7 12700K / DDR5 motherboard and RAM to try and future proof it a bit. Am I right in thinking it will run Unraid fine, but the issue is only with Plex transcoding and the iGPU (something that will be fixed with a firmware upgrade before too long) can Plex use a sep GPU (3080ti) to do the transcoding? Cheers for any help...

1 hour ago, jonskin44 said:

Hi folks - I am new to Unraid and looking to invest in a server with a i7 12700K / DDR5 motherboard and RAM to try and future proof it a bit. Am I right in thinking it will run Unraid fine, but the issue is only with Plex transcoding and the iGPU (something that will be fixed with a firmware upgrade before too long) can Plex use a sep GPU (3080ti) to do the transcoding? Cheers for any help...

You have that mostly right. Once Unraid is updated to run on a Linux kernel that fully supports the Intel 12th gen iGPU, Plex (in a docker) will crash when it tries to do hardware transcoding of HDR media. You can use a Nvidia GPU passed through to the docker container for hardware transcoding in the meantime. I'm not sure if the iGPU can be successfully passed through to a VM yet...cause that could allow Plex to use it to transcode so long as the guest VM was Windows or Linux 5.16/5.17 kernel-based.

BTW, a 3080ti is waaaay overkill for Plex transcoding. Also, be aware that you can't have the GPU assigned to a running VM and a running docker at the same time.

Edited by snazz
iGPU passthough addition
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, jonskin44 said:

Hi and thanks v much for the info. How often do the Unraid/Linux kernel get updated to make it work? I am thinking the 3080 as also want to use the pc for gaming and vr on a vm…

Unraid's kernel version has lagged behind a bit for various reasons, but it gets updated with each release pretty much. You can use the 3080 for gaming in a VM, and you can use it for transcoding with Plex...just not at the same time. You'd have to shut down the VM for the 3080 to become available to the docker...and likely have to restart the Plex docker once that has occurred. If you expect to have more than a couple simultaneous transcodes, consider getting a 2nd cheap nvidia GPU for transcodes until the iGPU is fully supported. I have a GTX 1050 3GB card in my main server...it works great, even for a few simultaneous 4K HDR H.265 transcodes.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

It runs fine, but does not allow Plex to use the igpu without crashing.  Without hardware transcoding in Plex I've had no issues whatsoever.

According to the Plex devs, that's going to require kernel support coming in 5.17/5.18

According to this, its 5.18 :( I kinda almost regret picking up an Alder Lake at this point. 😅

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-server-on-ubuntu-21-10-with-intel-12th-gen-alder-lake/768123/30

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, flyize said:

According to this, its 5.18 :( I kinda almost regret picking up an Alder Lake at this point. 😅

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-server-on-ubuntu-21-10-with-intel-12th-gen-alder-lake/768123/30

@flyize yeah im in the same boat as you are 😞 but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel haha 🙂

Im also following the Linux Kernel release schedule for 5.18 and it looks to be released by the end of May so im hopeful that @limetech will be able to update the 6.11 RC1 release with this latest Kernal 🙂

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, flyize said:

@ich777 Would you have any ideas if that is possible, or would help?

I would wait a little longer, proper iGPU support for Alder Lake is maybe introduced in 6.11 RC series...

The issue with Linux and bleeding edge hardware is always that it works properly because Intel is always a bit behind submitting patches to the Kernel... :/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I would wait a little longer, proper iGPU support for Alder Lake is maybe introduced in 6.11 RC series...

The issue with Linux and bleeding edge hardware is always that it works properly because Intel is always a bit behind submitting patches to the Kernel... :/

Gotcha. Is it safe to assume that 6.11 RCx is probably months away?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jonskin44 said:

GTX 1050 4GB - is around AUD$275

I would rather recommend that you take a look at the Nvidia T400 because you can get such a card brand new for about $ 135,- is low profile, doesn‘t need external power and can only consume about 35W.

In terms of transcoding it is the same as a 1050Ti if not even better.

• Like 1