Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

4 hours ago, SimonF said:

Installed 5.18rc and same as you plex just crashed when trying to transcode.

What is the purpose of blacklisting the i915 drivers? Any chance they work with RC7 and the 5.18 kernel? I've seen some suggestions that adding "options i915 enable_guc=2" makes QS work, but I assume that command means nothing if we're blacklisting the drivers.

4 minutes ago, flyize said:

What is the purpose of blacklisting the i915 drivers? Any chance they work with RC7 and the 5.18 kernel? I've seen some suggestions that adding "options i915 enable_guc=2" makes QS work, but I assume that command means nothing if we're blacklisting the drivers.

blacklisting just stops the module from being loaded, but you need i915 for /dev/dri to be created.

blacklisting is need on 6.10 if you are using intel gpu top to load the module with the correct force probe for Alderlake. May not be required for 5.18 kernel as support should be in stock kernel.

You can add to syslinx or in the modprode.d/i915.conf the guc=2 options but I dont know if that works with Alderlake.

11 minutes ago, SimonF said:

blacklisting just stops the module from being loaded, but you need i915 for /dev/dri to be created.

blacklisting is need on 6.10 if you are using intel gpu top to load the module with the correct force probe for Alderlake. May not be required for 5.18 kernel as support should be in stock kernel.

You can add to syslinx or in the modprode.d/i915.conf the guc=2 options but I dont know if that works with Alderlake.

This suggests that it does. Just to confirm, that setting should work irregardless of the blacklist?

7 minutes ago, flyize said:

blacklist

If you are blacklisting the module you will need remove the blacklist 

on 5.18 you should just be able to put in modprobe.d/i915.cfg instead of the blacklist command.

options i915 enable_guc=2

Not sure which option you need for force probe

But you can add a similar option for the force probe but on 5.15 kernel you can do

options i915 force_probe=4c8a

3 hours ago, SimonF said:

If you are blacklisting the module you will need remove the blacklist 

on 5.18 you should just be able to put in modprobe.d/i915.cfg instead of the blacklist command.

Not sure which option you need for force probe

But you can add a similar option for the force probe but on 5.15 kernel you can do

options i915 force_probe=4c8a

I shall try this.

I think intel_gpu_top blacklists the driver automatically (or *something* is on my server). So I'll need to remove that first.

edit: GPU Statistics and intel_gpu_top are gone, and I have no idea what's force blacklisting it. I remove it from modprobe, reboot, it comes back. Is Unraid doing it?

Edited by flyize
37 minutes ago, flyize said:

I shall try this.

I think intel_gpu_top blacklists the driver automatically (or *something* is on my server). So I'll need to remove that first.

edit: GPU Statistics and intel_gpu_top are gone, and I have no idea what's force blacklisting it. I remove it from modprobe, reboot, it comes back. Is Unraid doing it?

You need to remove from /boot/config/modprobe.d as it gets copied from here at boot.

Edited by SimonF

I was asked in different topic to share some steps which might help someone.
I am using i5-12400T and I managed to run Plex HW without any issues on 6.10.0-rc3, rc4, rc5.

What I did:

1. Created /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf and added blacklist i915
  2. Rebooted
  3. chmod -R 777 /dev/dri
  4. Installed Intel GPU TOP plugin
  5. Passed /dev/dri into Plex docker container
  6. Done

I did update to rc8 today and it stopped working so I restored rc5 and everything is working as expected. 

image.png.567dc775890fc7636288258e8237be41.png

image.png.b8caccf6ca067ff63fd0292b2b8ee2d1.png

image.png.b2eaa8d021702e5281852c16b9f96c9f.png

Edited by omygoodness
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Maybe there’s better drivers for the UHD 730, but I ran the exact same steps for my 12600k, got it running and verified HW transcoding worked, and would have a crash somewhere between 7 and 9 days.  The overwhelming majority of plays through Plex are Direct for me - so seldom do I have a transcode going on.  If I forced one over cellular, it would crash immediately.  At this time the 12600k is beefy enough for me that I have been fine without iGPU supported/configured, but I would love to have it working.  I’ve tried on rc2 through rc5, just gave up.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, NightOps said:

Maybe there’s better drivers for the UHD 730, but I ran the exact same steps for my 12600k, got it running and verified HW transcoding worked, and would have a crash somewhere between 7 and 9 days.  The overwhelming majority of plays through Plex are Direct for me - so seldom do I have a transcode going on.  If I forced one over cellular, it would crash immediately.  At this time the 12600k is beefy enough for me that I have been fine without iGPU supported/configured, but I would love to have it working.  I’ve tried on rc2 through rc5, just gave up.

In my case most of plays are direct too but I can switch to HW anytime. I was suprised to see that people have so many issues with 12th gen. My guess is that might be a problem with E-cores. 12400T has only P-cores and it is working fine.

12 minutes ago, NightOps said:

Lack of E-cores and different iGPU... though personally I'd be surprised if it came down to the E-cores, and would actually be potentially much more problematic.

My 12500 doesn't have e-cores but has the upgraded igpu. 

What's weird is that other owners of the 12400 report lack of stability. I think flyize runs a 12400 if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Cajones said:

What's weird is that other owners of the 12400 report lack of stability. I think flyize runs a 12400 if I'm not mistaken. 

I'm running a 12600. And yeah, nothing I've tried works.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, omygoodness said:

I did restart it today because of RC8 update but I was running for 30+ days with those settings and not a single crash

So, the overwhelming majority of us have been able to get it working doing just that.  It works fine.  But we've ended up with system wide hard locks.

It's not about e-cores, as I get them on my 12400 and it has none.  Maybe the T version is different? Has a different iGPU?  I don't know. 

But I'd get (like everyone else) hard crashes every couple days.  The frequency *seems* to depend on how busy your Plex server is - mine does probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 transcodes per day and many more direct play streams. 

3 hours ago, Cajones said:

Yep, my 12400 crashes too, exactly as the 12600 ones do.  Mine is not a -T model, though, just the base 12400.

Just now, Wintersdark said:

So, the overwhelming majority of us have been able to get it working doing just that.  It works fine.  But we've ended up with system wide hard locks.

It's not about e-cores, as I get them on my 12400 and it has none.  Maybe the T version is different? Has a different iGPU?  I don't know. 

But I'd get (like everyone else) hard crashes every couple days.  The frequency *seems* to depend on how busy your Plex server is - mine does probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 transcodes per day and many more direct play streams. 

tbh, if the system suffers from hard locks, then can we really say "it works"? 🙂  Honestly, it's just a matter of time.  the 12th gen evidently wasn't the first to suffer from such setbacks, and I can imagine it won't be the last.

• Like 1

Just adding my experience here.  Followed instructions outlined in here with my 12600 and same results.  System crashes after a day or 2 of running Plex.  Left Plex off and it didn’t crash, so definitely specifically related to Plex using igpu for the transcoding.  

Joining the team in the waiting game for a proper kernel update and permanent fix.  The price you pay for new hardware on a system built to run on old