Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

22 hours ago, SurfinBirdman said:

Just adding my experience here.  Followed instructions outlined in here with my 12600 and same results.  System crashes after a day or 2 of running Plex.  Left Plex off and it didn’t crash, so definitely specifically related to Plex using igpu for the transcoding.  

Joining the team in the waiting game for a proper kernel update and permanent fix.  The price you pay for new hardware on a system built to run on old

Yeah, at first I was confused because I had crashes when nobody was watching anything, but when Plex is detecting intros on new media that is added it's transcodes the start of the file and that can cause it too.

So I just tested @thor2002ro's 5.18RC7 kernel. It gave me hope. I transcoded a movie for about 10 minutes without issue. Previous to this the Plex container would crash after a couple of minutes. But then I did a sync/download stress test and it crashed. So its not there yet, but things are getting better!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Luukholleman said:

Wouldn't it work by installing a VM that is running ubuntu 22.04 with a 5.18 kernel? Run Plex in that VM, mount your appdata plex folder to the VM so you can easily switch back when it works in Unraid. 

Or am I missing something?

I *am* running the 5.18 kernel, so probably not.

11 hours ago, flyize said:

So I just tested @thor2002ro's 5.18RC7 kernel. It gave me hope. I transcoded a movie for about 10 minutes without issue. Previous to this the Plex container would crash after a couple of minutes. But then I did a sync/download stress test and it crashed. So its not there yet, but things are getting better!

@flyize This is great progress! its giving me some hope now that 5.18.xx will get PLEX transcoding back up and running. I think we will get there with the 5.18 Kernels eventually.

Please keep up your great work and reporting back as the new updated Kernels come out.

guys how can I update my Unraid to kernel 5.18 ??

My Unraid server with a 12900K is crashing every few days with a kernel panic even when I am not using the iGPU for Plex. I am currently using an 1080ti for Plex transcoding. I currently dop not know what is causing this kernel panics ...

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-18 um 10.45.34 AM.png

2 hours ago, mac110 said:

I am currently using an 1080ti for Plex transcoding. I currently dop not know what is causing this kernel panics ...

Not all crashs are to blame on the Intel driver.

It looks like you have issues with MACVLAN. If you are using custom IPs on some docker containers, you should change your docker network to IPVLAN. (available on 6.10)

If anyone else wants to try @thor2002ro's latest kernel, its very simple.

1. Backup your USB drive. You're very unlikely to screw up, but you should be doing this anyway
  2. Download the latest kernel from https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases
  3. Download the latest firmware file from https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases. Note: this isn't always included with every release. As of this writing, the latest firmware file is found under 5.18rc2 20220412 o3 clang14 thin LTO 6.9.2.
  4. Power down your Unraid server and plug the USB drive into your computer.
  5. In the root of the drive, move or rename the following files: bzimage, bzimage.sha256, bzmodules, bzmodules.sha256, bzfirmware, bzfiremware.sha256
  6. Unzip and move all the downloaded files into the root of the USB drive.
  7. Open /syslinux/syslinux.cfg in a text editor. Look for the following entry:
label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot

and add

md_mod.unraid_patch=22

to the append section. It should look like this:

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot md_mod.unraid_patch=22

Note: Pay attention to the release notes from @thor2002ro as that Unraid patch number may change!

8. Plug the USB drive back into the server and start her up!

9. Profit.

Edited by flyize
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, flyize said:

1. Backup your USB drive. You're very unlikely to screw up, but you should be doing this anyway
  2. Download the latest kernel from https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases
  3. Download the latest firmware file from https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases. Note: this isn't always included with every release. As of this writing, the latest firmware file is found under 5.18rc2 20220412 o3 clang14 thin LTO 6.9.2.
  5. In the root of the drive, move or rename the following files: bzimage, bzimage.sha256, bzmodules, bzmodules.sha256, bzfirmware, bzfiremware.sha256
label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot

and add

md_mod.unraid_patch=22

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage

Note: Pay attention to the release notes from @thor2002ro as that Unraid patch number may change!

9. Profit.

Awesome, thank you for the write-up.  Not sure I fully understand the patch number bit... the notes from the latest kernel from @thro2002ro say:

13 for unraid 6.8.3,

17 for unraid 6.9.2,

18 for unraid 6.10rc1,

19 for unraid 6.10rc2,

21 for unraid 6.10rc3,

22 for unraid 6.10rc4/6.10rc5,

etc...

What about for rc6, 7, 8?  I don't want to assume they're going to incrementally increase for each RC, as both RC 4 and 5 use the same patch number.  Thanks for your help!!!

1 minute ago, NightOps said:

Great, thanks!  Does that hold true for the 6.10.0 stable release that just came out?  Thanks for your patience and all of your work!!!

oh! Well I didn't know that was out! My apologies. It is not current then. I would assume it is the same, but won't have time to test until later today.

2 hours ago, flyize said:

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot

and add

md_mod.unraid_patch=22

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage

9. Profit.

Do I then need to remove "i915.force_probe=4680" from the boot configuration and remove the blacklist of the driver?

Edited by Luukholleman
1 hour ago, Luukholleman said:

Do I then need to remove "i915.force_probe=4680" from the boot configuration and remove the blacklist of the driver?

You do not. Although if you have Intel_gpu_top installed, I don't think that line is required. I think all you need is blacklist=i915.

@ich777Is that correct?

Installed it, confirmed it's running with uname -r which shows 5.18.0-rc7-thor-Unraid

HW HDR mapping (still) not (fully) working for me sadly. Still having artifacts. Except when I burn in PGS subs, then it works... Weird but true. But it's progress!

Running latest plex and Unraid 6.10 (stable)

Edit: actually also works if I force plex to burn in subtitles always.

Edited by Luukholleman
2 hours ago, Luukholleman said:

Installed it, confirmed it's running with uname -r which shows 5.18.0-rc7-thor-Unraid

HW HDR mapping (still) not (fully) working for me sadly. Still having artifacts. Except when I burn in PGS subs, then it works... Weird but true. But it's progress!

Running latest plex and Unraid 6.10 (stable)

Edit: actually also works if I force plex to burn in subtitles always.

Are you saying that iGPU transcoding works?

Some further testing yes I think it works. It's just that Plex has a bug i think. On emby it fully works.

Played 3 4k HDR to SDR transcodes and a background Plex optimize encode at the same time. No crash or anything.

Why I think Plex is the problem now is that Plex is transcoding at 10-20 fps and needs burned in subtitles to have no artifacts. Emby is working perfectly while transcoding HDR to SDR at 160fps.

Running on an 12400 btw.

Edited by Luukholleman

So 6.10 Final with the 5.18RC7 kernel seems to be a step backwards for me. When enabling the iGPU for Plex, it not only crashed the Plex container, but also crashed the Unraid UI. I had to SSH in and restart the server.

:(

edit: That said, the kernel seems to be working fine with the normal CPU transcoding.

Edited by flyize
32 minutes ago, Luukholleman said:

Some further testing yes I think it works. It's just that Plex has a bug i think. On emby it fully works.

Played 3 4k HDR to SDR transcodes and a background Plex optimize encode at the same time. No crash or anything.

Why I think Plex is the problem now is that Plex is transcoding at 10-20 fps and needs burned in subtitles to have no artifacts. Emby is working perfectly while transcoding HDR to SDR at 160fps.

Running on an 12400 btw.

Weird. Mine crashed the entire server. Since it was an unclean shutdown, I'm now going through a parity check. FML

Quick question, have a new build with a i3-12100 on 6.10.0 where I've left a monitor plugged in and turned on but have no /dev/dri folder..

I tried using the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin with this version of unRAID which from reading I think are the only requirements - am I missing something stupid or is this expected behavior without the custom kernel?

8 hours ago, jack0w said:

Quick question, have a new build with a i3-12100 on 6.10.0 where I've left a monitor plugged in and turned on but have no /dev/dri folder..

I tried using the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin with this version of unRAID which from reading I think are the only requirements - am I missing something stupid or is this expected behavior without the custom kernel?

You need to blacklist i915 driver so top can load it correctly or add force probe to syslinux options or modprobe file.

echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Edited by SimonF
  • Thanks 1