Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

1 hour ago, Luukholleman said:

Either I'm very lucky or I gotta disagree. Been running RC kernel for 2 weeks now. 

My server is never doing nothing. I'm constantly running encoding jobs in the background on 6 cores, other stuff running on the other 6, often transcoding on the GPU on foreground with 4 plex users. Hope I don't jinx it but it doesn't crash.

You're not disagreeing, you're running the RC kernel.  I'm talking about the stock Unraid kernel.  

It's very likely a Plex bug though, not Unraid, as mine crashed with Plex running even when not transcoding, but with the driver loaded.

3 hours ago, Luukholleman said:

Either I'm very lucky or I gotta disagree. Been running RC kernel for 2 weeks now. 

My server is never doing nothing. I'm constantly running encoding jobs in the background on 6 cores, other stuff running on the other 6, often transcoding on the GPU on foreground with 4 plex users. Hope I don't jinx it but it doesn't crash.

I'm voting for lucky somehow. 6.10 final with the 5.18RC kernel crashed my *entire* server as soon I started a transcoding sync job. I'm running an Alder Lake 12600

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Luukholleman said:

server is never doing nothing. I'm constantly running encoding jobs in the background on 6 cores, other stuff running on the other 6, often transcoding on the GPU on foreground with 4 plex users. Hope I don't jinx it but it doesn't crash.

Mind providing instructions on what you did exactly? I know it's a pain, but I don't understand why no one can replicate even with similar hardware. 

To me, I think plex is a large culprit as many people seem to have stability with jellyfin.  My server will crash regardless of transcoding as long as igpu is passed through to plex. 

4 hours ago, Cajones said:

Mind providing instructions on what you did exactly? I know it's a pain, but I don't understand why no one can replicate even with similar hardware. 

To me, I think plex is a large culprit as many people seem to have stability with jellyfin.  My server will crash regardless of transcoding as long as igpu is passed through to plex. 

I think part of your observation also is that only people who have problems are looking up on this thread and posting.
Those who found a solution seldom reply, but the ones who still have a problem with their config are here.

For me it seems to work reliable with the 5.18 kernel, although im not a poweruser and encode only between 1 and 3 streams every evening. Plex never ever crashed tho.

Hardware specs are i3 12100 (also UHD730), Asrock H610m itx MoBo and 16 gigs of 3200 DDR4 Ram.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:04 AM, Cajones said:

I installed the kernel with these instructions 

Linked /dev/dri device to my docker plex container using the linuxserver variant (lscr.io/linuxserver/plex).

I don't have force_probe=i195 in my boot config.

I do have "blacklist i915" in /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf

I have intel_gpu_top installed.

After that I enabled transcoding but left HDR tone mapping disabled.

Edited by Luukholleman
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, flyize said:

I'm using binhex-plexpass. I can't imagine that its actually the container that's the issue, but does anyone else have issues with the linuxserver container?

Ok, so did some more testing today:

Official Plex Docker
thor2002ro 5.18 22020526 Kernel
Unraid 6.10.0
Intel_gpu_top installed AND still had modprobe appended in syslinux config.

The above config would crash plex and eventually unraid.

Linuxserver docker
Unraid 6.10.0
Intel_gpu_top installed AND still had modprobe appended in syslinux config.

The above config would crash plex. I didn't try long enough to see if unraid crashed as well.

Linuxserver docker
Unraid 6.10.0
Intel_gpu_top installed AND REMOVED modprobe in syslinux config.

After removing modprobe from syslinux config plex now transcodes without crashing - only tested a few files that previously crashed plex.

So, I don't know if it's the change to the docker container or that I had the modprobe statement still in the config that was causing problems. It's also possible that this is just a fluke and it'll stop working soon. 

One thing I do notice, when it isn't working correctly: if I watch the GPU statistics plugin, there will be some render load and video load but then the usage will stop, however the power will stay at around 2W. At this point, any attempt to transcode will crash plex. The GPU is also locked at 300 MHz (viewed using intel_gpu_top). So it's as if the GPU is getting stuck and is no longer accessible by anything else. 

When it's working correctly, there will be render load and video load with power up to 4W. This will turn on and off as it reaches the buffer limit. But the power always goes to zero when it's no longer transcoding.

Edited by michaeldt
5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

@flyize can you please test if Jellyfin is working on your system and not crashing it? Currently I think the ffmpeg version from Plex is the issue...

Plex for sure is behind (or doing weird stuff). Next to transcoding, HDR tonemapping does work for me in emby and jellyfin.

Edited by Luukholleman
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ich777 said:

@flyize can you please test if Jellyfin is working on your system and not crashing it? Currently I think the ffmpeg version from Plex is the issue...

I don't know the first thing about Jellyfin, but will try to get it setup. ;)

FWIW, I've been monitoring this thread and it seems like the Plex guys have figured out the right ingredients to make Plex work with Alder Lake.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/ubuntu-22-04-packaging-development-preview/793355/1

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, flyize said:

I don't know the first thing about Jellyfin, but will try to get it setup. ;)

The reason why I'm asking is because someone already tested Alder Lake with 5.18.2 and Plex crashed the server again but Jellyfin run just fine. ;)

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The reason why I'm asking is because someone already tested Alder Lake with 5.18.2 and Plex crashed the server again but Jellyfin run just fine. ;)

I assume I should grab your "Jellyfin-AMD-Intel-Nvidia" container?

EDIT: If so, I get the following error when trying to transcode. I passed in /dev/dri, and enabled QS for the formats specified in your Docker readme.

Playback Error

This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format.

This was attempted in the browser. I think I've done everything correctly, but I've never used Jellyfin before.

Edited by flyize
1 hour ago, flyize said:

I assume I should grab your "Jellyfin-AMD-Intel-Nvidia" container?

If you want too, yes, but you can also take the official one.

1 hour ago, flyize said:

If so, I get the following error when trying to transcode. I passed in /dev/dri, and enabled QS for the formats specified in your Docker readme.

Please try to use VA-API if possible.

11 hours ago, Oggie said:

From my understanding is it true that if we update kernal and install jellyfin we can transcode hdr movies using igpu ? I'm running i5 2500

Not on your CPU…

See this matrix: Click

Sandy Bridge is only even able to transcode up to h264 (AVC).

11 hours ago, flyize said:

Tried with VAAPI enabled and got the same error. Clearly I'm doing something wrong here. 😐

Try to turno off transcode to h265 in the settings menu.

Are you using my container or the official one, haven‘t tried my container yet on Alder Lake.