Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

13 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Wish that was more reasonably priced without hassles.  If you want 4k HEVC transcodes, and no transcode limit... Fairly significant money for capability you already have :(

It is significant but the tech I have is 10 years old now and I can't update unRaid to any version after 6.8.3. I had to turn off hardware transcoding because it made my system unstable. There are times when 4 cores is not enough.

40 minutes ago, dchamb said:

Because the iGPU issue will get resolved? Seems like this problem has been around for a year now and I haven't seen any problems reported on NVIDIA.

Most likely, yes. It should be resolved pretty soon for Plex. And seemingly is resolved for other tools. Also, Alder Lake is a beast and can handle quite a bit of transcoding in software, as long as you aren't doing 4k stuff. 

49 minutes ago, dchamb said:

Because the iGPU issue will get resolved? Seems like this problem has been around for a year now and I haven't seen any problems reported on NVIDIA.

Because Alder Lake is new.  The problem is already technically sorted out, it's just a matter of the correct ICR version and Linux kernels getting pushed down stream.  The current Linux kernel in Unraid doesn't support Alder Lake iGPU's properly.

It's already working in Plex for Ubuntu.  

56 minutes ago, dchamb said:

It is significant but the tech I have is 10 years old now and I can't update unRaid to any version after 6.8.3. I had to turn off hardware transcoding because it made my system unstable. There are times when 4 cores is not enough.

Sorry? Are you not running Alder Lake?  Why can't you run a newer Unraid version?if you ARE on Alder Lake, you can't use hardware transcoding eight now without making your system unstable because, as I said, the current Linux kernel in Unraid doesn't support it. 

What's stopping you from upgrading your Unraid installation?  My system is running a lot of *very* old tech, PCIe 2 HBA's and the like, and it's working just fine.

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Sorry? Are you not running Alder Lake?  Why can't you run a newer Unraid version?if you ARE on Alder Lake, you can't use hardware transcoding eight now without making your system unstable because, as I said, the current Linux kernel in Unraid doesn't support it. 

What's stopping you from upgrading your Unraid installation?  My system is running a lot of *very* old tech, PCIe 2 HBA's and the like, and it's working just fine.

No I am not on Alder Lake. I am looking to refresh my tech since it is 10 years old now (on an i5-3570 CPU). I tried upgrading to 6.9.2 several months ago without hardware transcoding turned on and my system crashed within 24 hours. Tried several times but could not get it to stay running for more than a week. I rolled back to 6.8.3 and it was running fine until today. 

Now I am thinking I may need to accelerate plans for the hardware upgrade.

My latest post on the current situation: 

21 minutes ago, dchamb said:

No I am not on Alder Lake. I am looking to refresh my tech since it is 10 years old now (on an i5-3570 CPU). I tried upgrading to 6.9.2 several months ago without hardware transcoding turned on and my system crashed within 24 hours. Tried several times but could not get it to stay running for more than a week. I rolled back to 6.8.3 and it was running fine until today. 

Now I am thinking I may need to accelerate plans for the hardware upgrade.

My latest post on the current situation: 

Ooooh I understand!

Perhaps you'd be better served getting a 10 series Intel CPU and motherboard instead of Alder Lake? No worries about iGPU compatibility that way but still excellent performance.  Very good prices now, too.  A 10600 or 10700 would perform extremely well.

14 minutes ago, dchamb said:

So does that mean if I go with Alder Lake I won't be able to use Plex, or just Plex with HW transcode?

HW Transcoding - for now.  It's between Plex and unRAID ensuring the correct Intel ICR (on Plex), and a newer kernel (on unRAID) are used in conjunction with each other to have a stable platform.

40 minutes ago, dchamb said:

So does that mean if I go with Alder Lake I won't be able to use Plex, or just Plex with HW transcode?

As he said, no hardware transcoding *for now*.  Given that working versions exist for the Plex, the kernel and ICR, it's just a wait till Unraid packages up and tests stuff for the next release of Unraid.  Obviously I can't guess at when that will be, but I'd hazard a guess that they'll take this seriously and get the update ready ASAP.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, flyize said:

The 6.11 builds of Unraid will have the new kernel natively. By then (based on what little I know), I would expect for HW transcoding to be totally working at that point.

Great news! I've been trucking along with software transcode for a few months now. Just upgraded to symmetrical 1g internet. Ready to start sharing my plex with friends and family. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, flyize said:

The 6.11 builds of Unraid will have the new kernel natively. By then (based on what little I know), I would expect for HW transcoding to be totally working at that point.

I may speed things up and buy a nvidia card. As soon as I do, unraid and plex will have the iGPU working perfectly. 🤪

• Haha 2

I’m wanting to upgrade my hardware for decent Plex transcoding and I’m wondering if i should still go with 12th gen Intel despite the current issues with Igpu transcoding. I could live with software transcoding until the issues are sorted rather than going with 10th gen or something which will work straight away.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Honestly it depends on your demands, how many users will simultaneously be running non-direct play streams, and what your current hardware is.  If transcoding is going to be seldom, then I'd go with 12th gen and wait it out.  If you have users constantly and simultaneously needing transcoded streams, then I'd go 10th gen with an NVidia card.  I'm running 2 or 3 simultaneous direct plays, and the occasional transcoding job, and my 12600k doesn't get above 50%.  I've also got a Handbrake container running software encoding on all my movies - going to throw in TV shows as soon as iGPU is fully supported (which handbrake might currently support, I just haven't tried it since 6.10.0-rc3).

32 minutes ago, ChutneyBadger said:

I’m wanting to upgrade my hardware for decent Plex transcoding and I’m wondering if i should still go with 12th gen Intel despite the current issues with Igpu transcoding. I could live with software transcoding until the issues are sorted rather than going with 10th gen or something which will work straight away.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

If you can live with software for now, then absolutely get an Alder Lake.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, NightOps said:

Honestly it depends on your demands, how many users will simultaneously be running non-direct play streams, and what your current hardware is.  If transcoding is going to be seldom, then I'd go with 12th gen and wait it out.  If you have users constantly and simultaneously needing transcoded streams, then I'd go 10th gen with an NVidia card.  I'm running 2 or 3 simultaneous direct plays, and the occasional transcoding job, and my 12600k doesn't get above 50%.  I've also got a Handbrake container running software encoding on all my movies - going to throw in TV shows as soon as iGPU is fully supported (which handbrake might currently support, I just haven't tried it since 6.10.0-rc3).

Things won’t get any more taxing than a single transcode although it will be a 4k HDR video.

7 minutes ago, ChutneyBadger said:

Things won’t get any more taxing than a single transcode although it will be a 4k HDR video.

Check my work for sure, but I believe I read that AL should be able to handle a couple of those. Also, IIRC, @ich777 mentioned in this thread (or a similar one) a suggested GPU to use as a stopgap. Hopefully he remembers and can chime in. I think at the time, whatever it was it was about $200. Since GPUs are in freefall, its probably even cheaper now.