Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

21 minutes ago, dchamb said:

I understand it has discussed frequently and it also appears there is discussion to the contrary. I don't want to tear this system apart only to have regrets.

The only discussion to the contrary are people who set it up and it initially seems to work (it will work, after all) right up till when the crashing starts.  

To be absolutely clear, *with the current Unraid 6.10 build*, Plex (and Jellyfin, and Emby) work fine, *so long as you don't pass them the iGPU and/or enable hardware transcoding.*

This isn't debated at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

Thought I might ask opinions here...

While I understand there will be errors in most cases; has anyone had luck with overclocking their Unraid Adler Lake box? Even minor bumps and/or just an undervolt to save on electricity? If so can you elaborate?

Separately, updated to 6.11 and I see the iGPU is now accessible. Would be nice to hear others experiences with that as well.

I have an i9-12900K and upgraded yesterday to 6.11-RC1 and so far no issues to report.

I have enabled the iGPU in PLEX again but only did a very brief test and transcoding worked for me without crashing. I did have HDR Tone mapping set to off and did a basic test on a 1080p movie.

I know its still hit and miss at the moment so have turned HW transcoding off for the moment until PLEX release their new version and some more fixes in PMS 1.28.1 or 1.28.2.

At least we are moving forward and now we have the Linux Kernel updated to the version we need. Now we wait for PLEX to catch up 😞

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, flyize said:

Just so we're all clear here...

• Jellyfin + Unraid 6.10 (or later) = Works
  • Jellyfin + Unraid 6.10 (or later) + iGPU = Works
  • Plex + Unraid 6.10 (or later)  = Works
  • Plex + Unraid 6.10 (or later) + iGPU = Does not work

Thanks! This helps with clearing up the confusion. And the Plex problem is in Plex's arena to fix, right? Or are we waiting for a kernel fix for unRaid or both?

33 minutes ago, jbrukardt said:

Claims on reddit that 6.11.0-RC1 is working fine with iGPU + plex + transcoding.   

Based on kernel 5.18.14 (CVE-2022-21123 (CVE-2022-21123 CVE-2022-21125 CVE-2022-21166)

FWIW, I confirmed that it does not work for me before making my post. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, feraay said:

For me it’s working

plex official container and 6.11 rc 1

hw transcoding on but hdr tone mapping off 

did not test hdr tone mapping

1 day now no crash tested a few movies no problems here 

Try downloading a transcoded movie to your phone. I've found that's the best stress test. I think you'll find that it crashes.

Edited by flyize
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Oggie said:

HDR tone mapping on ? 

No off like I already said 😊

12 minutes ago, flyize said:

Are you watching the Docker logs on Unraid while it transcodes and downloads to your phone?

You mean the Plex docker logs ? Nothing special here also no errors in system log. 

watched the Plex dashboard while transcoding for mobile download cpu usage at 2 percentage so it’s definitely hw transcoding.

I did not test hdr tone mapping till now but normal transcode works. 

why so incredulous?

Edited by feraay
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
12 minutes ago, feraay said:

No off like I already said 😊

You mean the Plex docker logs ? Nothing special here also no errors in system log. 

watched the Plex dashboard while transcoding for mobile download cpu usage at 2 percentage so it’s definitely hw transcoding.

I did not test hdr tone mapping till now but normal transcode works. 

why so incredulous?

Not incredulous. Its just there are very few settings for us to change, so it seems odd that it would work for you and not for me. Can you run intel_gpu_top while you're transcoding to ensure that's what is happened?

For the record, I just tried to transcode/download a video to my phone using RC2. Plex crashed within about a minute. It restarts, so you might not even notice it if you weren't looking in the Docker logs.

Edited by flyize
  • Upvote 1

Oh Ok I know what u mean. I have no intel gpu top installed. I can check my syslinux conf and post here give me 30 minutes. 

I will download again a movie to phone and check logs. 

will report back 

😅 ok I have still settings from 6.10 testing in my conf 

append initrd=/bzroot i915.force_probe=4680 i915.enable_guc=2

completely forgot about it. @ich777 told me to set it i guess. And I have not changed it till then. 

Edited by feraay
i915.enable_guc=2

could be the difference. Can you remove that and retest?

edit: And if you install intel_gpu_top, you can remove the force_probe as well.

edit: Or hey, maybe its intel_gpu_top that is somehow causing the issue. Either way, if yours is working, it would be awesome for you to try to change what little we can and see if it stops working.

Edited by flyize
13 minutes ago, flyize said:
i915.enable_guc=2

could be the difference. Can you remove that and retest?

edit: And if you install intel_gpu_top, you can remove the force_probe as well.

edit: Or hey, maybe its intel_gpu_top that is somehow causing the issue. Either way, if yours is working, it would be awesome for you to try to change what little we can and see if it stops working.

On 6.11 you dont need to blacklist the driver or force_probe any more as looks like support is now in the base driver and Unraid will load as default.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1