Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

17 minutes ago, flyize said:

It's looking like i915.enable_guc=2 fixes the issue! Nice accidental work @feraay!!! I think you fixed Alder Lake!

edit: It just crashed. MOTHERF%*(#)

I've gone done this exact road so many times.  "Oh look, it's working!". ... 6 hours later, once I'm at work, texts from the wife that the server is down.  *Sighs*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyize said:

Still no intel_gpu_top installed?

Nope. At the moment out of the box not plug-in no extra config.

9 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I've gone done this exact road so many times.  "Oh look, it's working!". ... 6 hours later, once I'm at work, texts from the wife that the server is down.  *Sighs*

I never had to wait 6 hours with 6.10 and old kernel. Server instantly crashed when starting transcode. And we have officiall 5.18 Kernel for two days now so how many times you Heard “look it’s working” before doesn’t really matter I guess. If I get @flyize right only his Plex crashes and you are talking about the server crashes sounds like a different problem in my opinion. 

i will report tomorrow if it’s still working. 

It’s still running …

no intel gpu top installed

no blacklist

no modprob in syslinux conf

i am transcoding to ram but I think this is not important for gpu crash. Except that I did not do anything special. 

@flyize do you have Stil the gcu reset errors in system log like with 6.10 or how is the behaviour?

@feraay Do you have both "Use hardware-accelerated video encoding" enabled and "Use hardware acceleration when available" enabled in Plex, or just the latter?

Plex crashes due to GPU hang within about 5 minutes when transcoding with HA video encoding enabled along with "Use HA", but doesn't with only HA acceleration enabled.

Edited by snazz
7 hours ago, feraay said:

It’s still running …

no intel gpu top installed

no blacklist

no modprob in syslinux conf

i am transcoding to ram but I think this is not important for gpu crash. Except that I did not do anything special. 

@flyize do you have Stil the gcu reset errors in system log like with 6.10 or how is the behaviour?

So far I've tried:

• Vanilla RC2
  • GUC
  • Removing intel_gpu_top
  • Removing blacklist

All result in a Plex crash. The best result was Vanilla with the GUC setting. It lasted about 20 minutes transcoding a movie to download.

5 minutes ago, flyize said:

So far I've tried:

• Vanilla RC2
  • GUC
  • Removing intel_gpu_top
  • Removing blacklist

All result in a Plex crash. The best result was Vanilla with the GUC setting. It lasted about 20 minutes transcoding a movie to download.

I'm just avoiding HW transcoding altogether 

3 hours ago, snazz said:

@feraay Do you have both "Use hardware-accelerated video encoding" enabled and "Use hardware acceleration when available" enabled in Plex, or just the latter?

Plex crashes due to GPU hang within about 5 minutes when transcoding with HA video encoding enabled along with "Use HA", but doesn't with only HA acceleration enabled.

I have only use ha when available enabled not ha encoding.

tester with encoding and it won’t even play guc hang in syslog.

tried hdr tone mapping played a few minutes then crashes. 

so the only stable option is enable ha when available. 

35 minutes ago, feraay said:

I have only use ha when available enabled not ha encoding.

tester with encoding and it won’t even play guc hang in syslog.

tried hdr tone mapping played a few minutes then crashes. 

so the only stable option is enable ha when available. 

Ah ha, we've found the difference.

7 hours ago, feraay said:

So encoding will happen with cpu ? I do not see any cpu usage at all. Don’t get it 

in which scenario I am encoding ?

It sounds odd that you don't see any CPU activity while transcoding with only the HA setting enabled. I see CPU activity on my system in the same circumstances.

If not 100% sure this is accurate, but I assume transcoding video includes decoding of the original stream and encoding it in a different combination of format / bitrate / resolution, so i would expect to see CPU activity if the software encoding is occurring.

Maybe you're not actually transcoding in your testing? Is it direct streaming perhaps where only the container is different?

So i've setup a new unraid server running the latest 6.11.0 rc2.

Installed Plex and Intel GPU Top.
Enabled hardware accelerated encoding inside Plex and tested transcoding with a hdr 10(hevc) movie.
No erros occurred during roughly 1 hour of testing.

Hardware is a G7400 on a B660 Gigabyte Board.

Did not test other files or HDR Tone Mapping yet.
Gonna continue with more files and different formats later.

Update:
Tested 2 hours of 4k HEVC (Dolby Vision, around 40mbits) to 1080p h264 with hw transcode enabled and active without a crash.
Had another video direct playing half the time.
Did not notice any artifacts and plex did not crash.

Edited by Cyberabit
  • Like 2
On 7/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, snazz said:

I have tried unraid 6.10 and 6.11 RC2 many times. If I only choose "use hardware acceleration when available", plex will not crash. If you select "use hardware acceleration when available" and "use hardware acceleration to encode video" at the same time, the first transcoding succeeds, and then the plex will crash when transcoding later. My hardware is 12700 and tuf b660m.

Just to share my experience.

Using an i3-12100 on a Z690 motherboard on unRAID 6.11.0-rc2

I now have HW transcoding working perfectly, the only thing that doesn't work is tone mapping.

With this -

echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Intel-GPU-TOP

GPU Statistics 

and /dev/dri in the official Plex docker container.

No other changes from default configuration.

I've played a 4K home movie in Plex, transcoded down to 720p without issues.

I've also converted it to a lower quality and downloaded it to a android phone with no problem either.

Both definitely using the GPU as can see low CPU usage and high GPU usage throughout.

I've had no crashes or errors in either my system or container logs. 

If I enable tonemapping, I don't get any errors or crashes, but instead of using the GPU it uses the CPU.

Hope this is useful to others!

• Thanks 3
13 hours ago, jack0w said:

Just to share my experience.

Using an i3-12100 on a Z690 motherboard on unRAID 6.11.0-rc2

I now have HW transcoding working perfectly, the only thing that doesn't work is tone mapping.

With this -

echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Intel-GPU-TOP

GPU Statistics 

and /dev/dri in the official Plex docker container.

No other changes from default configuration.

I've played a 4K home movie in Plex, transcoded down to 720p without issues.

I've also converted it to a lower quality and downloaded it to a android phone with no problem either.

Both definitely using the GPU as can see low CPU usage and high GPU usage throughout.

I've had no crashes or errors in either my system or container logs. 

If I enable tonemapping, I don't get any errors or crashes, but instead of using the GPU it uses the CPU.

Hope this is useful to others!

Thank you for sharing.
There is a little doubt, isn't it necessary to install Intel GPU top in version 6.11?
In version 6.10.3, I have done the following operations: installing Intel GPU top, shielding i915 driver, and adding kernel display to plex container.
Unfortunately, the plex hard solution still crashes. I cannot select "use hardware acceleration when available" and "use hardware acceleration to encode video" at the same time. But I can choose HDR and "use hardware acceleration when available" at the same time.

I'm not sure if all the steps I took are totally needed, I just figured if it ain't broke don't try and fix it!

Also to clarify settings in Plex Transcoder section, I have -

"Enable HDR tone mapping" disabled

"Use hardware acceleration when available" enabled

"Use hardware-accelerated video encoding" enabled

With those selected it uses HW.

If I enable HDR tone mapping as well, everything is done by the CPU.

So after reading all the different results people were getting I thought what the heck, ill try too...

I have a 12900K Unraid 6.11-RC2 with GPU_TOP installed and plex pass with the normal public release channel and beta plex app.

I also have the following applied in PLEX,

"Enable HDR tone mapping" disabled

"Use hardware acceleration when available" enabled

"Use hardware-accelerated video encoding" enabled

And just as some mentioned here, the 1st transcode plays just fine but as soon as I try the 2nd transcode BAM Plex crashes haha oh well I had some very, very low hopes 😀

PLEX is releasing a new update soon so might be lucky then. Also, not sure if it will make any difference but the new Kernel 5.19 is now released so maybe unraid 6.11-RC3 will have that. Cant hurt I guess, will hopefully increase our chances.

• Upvote 1