Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

On 8/13/2022 at 10:05 AM, Wintersdark said:

With the plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass container, if you open the logs while you start it you'll see it actually downloads the binaries every time the container starts up.  

In fact, the container doesn't actually contain Plex Media server at all.  

Yeah, I saw that. Pretty neat!

Hey guys, it looks like plex finally put out an update that works with the igpu on the 12900k I was able to test it with 3 user streams plus one from my cellphone transcoding a 4k 70mbs to 320p without the cpu doing anything. Unraid 6.11 rc3 and Linux repository container.

Edited by Foxinthebox
Added info
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, Foxinthebox said:

Hey guys, it looks like plex finally put out an update for that works with the igpu on the 12900k I was able to test it with 3 user streams plus one from my cellphone transcoding a 4k 70mbs to 320p without the cpu doing anything. Unraid 6.11 rc3 and Linux repository container.

Looking good so far.  I can confirm that the latest update significantly dropped CPU utilization on my i5-12600k when hardware transcoding streams... I went from running ~40% on a single transcoded 1080p to 360p stream running over 5G on my smartphone, down to under 20%.  Tested using the same source, to the same device, on the same signal strength (tested just before updating Plex container, and just after the update).  I'm running the official Plex docker.

• Like 1

First time caller, long time listener who's been playing with a 12700k for the last couple months. As a test, I currently 5 1080 streams playing on the Windows VM on Plex and one on the phone, all transcoding down to a small format. I'm measuring only 120-140 watts with few other containers running as well. Transcoding seems to be fine even while editing 4k 10 bit 4:2:2 and 4K 12 bit raw in Premiere on my VM, total usage doesn't seem to break 350 watts at that point and is usually hovering around 240-280 watts. 

The only issue I have is with H.265 content, both in Plex and the VM. H.265 without transcoding and playing on devices that handle H.265 well(Nvidia Shield TV) is no issue, but anything else is a fail, even with the latest Plex that just dropped. The same goes for within the virtual machine From my experience with video editing, the 11th gen and newer iGPU is capable of eating 8K H.265 4:2:2 footage for lunch. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that my RTX 3080 that's passed through will chew H.264 all day long, but it won't even consider touching H.265 4:2:2. I may have to pass the iGPU through someday and use another Nvidia card for Plex. 

On 8/17/2022 at 4:23 PM, Foxinthebox said:

Hey guys, it looks like plex finally put out an update that works with the igpu on the 12900k I was able to test it with 3 user streams plus one from my cellphone transcoding a 4k 70mbs to 320p without the cpu doing anything. Unraid 6.11 rc3 and Linux repository container.

Nice development! For now I’m still on the sidelines as rc3 can’t see both of my nvme cache drives. 

On 8/17/2022 at 10:23 PM, Foxinthebox said:

Did you change anything else? Im on a 12500, using linuxserver PLEX with extra parameters = --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri and  "i915.force_probe=4690" added to my Syslinux configuration.

Not really working with 4k (tonemapping on and off).

Happy for yall's success so far. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulties, not sure what I've done wrong.  Currently, running Linuxserver Plex with container version set to latest and Plex configured to beta.  Plex shows I'm on Version 1.28.2.6106. I've installed Intel GPU TOP & GPU stats. Enabled transcoding in Plex and disabled HDR Tone Mapping.  All transcoding seems to be handled by the CPU right now instead of the iGPU. Literally see 0% gpu activity on gpu stats dashboard. Also CPU is getting pegged out. Any thoughts?

Specs:

12500, 32gb ram, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B660-PLUS D4 

Edited by Cajones
Fixed Reviewed Hoopsters Post and followed the guide below. My noobness thought somehow that the iGPU would magically get passed through automatically with the latest update.
On 8/20/2022 at 12:05 AM, TeKo said:

Did you change anything else? Im on a 12500, using linuxserver PLEX with extra parameters = --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri and  "i915.force_probe=4690" added to my Syslinux configuration.

Not really working with 4k (tonemapping on and off).

I Added the "extra parameters = --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri" and I don't know if its redundant at all but i added the device path in the template also, /Dev/dri. when i check the plex logs all looks good and it has lines for the Igpu.

as far as all the work arounds I tried on 6.10.x I removed all of those. including the "i915.force_probe=4690" and the other one for permissions since the container says it handles that automatically.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Xploit61 said:

Hey All,

Thanks for everyone's input, I've been following along for some time now and just wanted to confirm with the latest RC3 and Plex releases and recent posts, to summarise is 12th gen fully working now with HDR tone mapping on etc?

No tone mapping, but he transcoding is fine and stable.

• Like 1

Hello,

I have a hopefully simple question. 

How do I set Plex to use the plexpass version (1.28.2.6106-44a5bbd28) instead of the public version (1.28.1.6104-788f82488)?  I have the PLEX_CLAIM parameter set to my plex claim (claim-y4Z_--------------SN) and the version set to latest (I also tried beta and plexpass but nothing seemed to change). 

Plex will show the encoding with an (HW), but nothing will actually play so I am guessing that I need the updated version.

Thanks in advance!

image.png

7 hours ago, scott47 said:

Hello,

I have a hopefully simple question. 

How do I set Plex to use the plexpass version (1.28.2.6106-44a5bbd28) instead of the public version (1.28.1.6104-788f82488)?  I have the PLEX_CLAIM parameter set to my plex claim (claim-y4Z_--------------SN) and the version set to latest (I also tried beta and plexpass but nothing seemed to change). 

Plex will show the encoding with an (HW), but nothing will actually play so I am guessing that I need the updated version.

Thanks in advance!

image.png

change in the Plex server settings the server type updates to beta and also change the "VERSION" variable in the container settings from docker to latest.

1699618599_Bildschirmfoto2022-08-25um2_30_42PM.thumb.png.9bf0313b593280a274e7b1fe741a472d.png

716384373_Bildschirmfoto2022-08-25um2_31_11PM.thumb.png.9f82ccb4fa0c51ace47a360feb30283d.png

Edited by mac110
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, derek_zoolander said:

Pretty sure Jellyfin always worked

I  was concerned that Jellyfin still had stability issues due to a post that was made earlier this (northern) summer - 

Have you encountered any stability issues since that crash a couple of months ago?

If you have stability with jellyfin, would you be willing to share your performance metrics (FPS, transcode multiplier, etc) for 4K HEVC HDR to 1080p H.264 transcodes on the thread? I would be greatly appreciative as it will guide a purchasing decision. Thanks!

Hello everyone, plex has been tested in beta. Except for HDR, there are basically no problems with transcoding settings. But, emby, have you tried? I have tried several times, but 4K video transcoding seems to be impossible. 1080p and below resources have been tried several times, but it is OK. Have you ever encountered such a problem?

On 1/23/2022 at 4:49 AM, chrizzo said:

I am trying to get "Audio device

I am trying to passthrough a HeadSet for gaming. USB is not recognizing the headset and I cant passthrough Audio. Anyone have an idea how to passthrough a headset w mic please (it has USB and a 3.5mm on the headset. I have passed through a USB card and it still doesn't seem to work. Thank you all

On 2/6/2022 at 6:43 AM, chrizzo said:

I‘m using a USB audio for my Win11 Gaming VM

Is this a USB DAC? Would i be able to passthrough a headset with this? Thank you. 

I have tried editing the Flash append:

append modprobe.blacklist=i2c_i801,i2c_smbus initrd=/bzroot but i get error 792246781_Screenshot2022-08-27220045.png.20908937b748b35093f2fbcbad63b47e.png

Screenshot 2022-08-27 215157.png

EDIT: I was able to isolate Audio & Mic using 

pcie_acs_override-multifunctionvfio_tommu_typel.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1vfio-pci.ids=8086:7284,8086:7ad0,8086:74…modprobe.blacklistsi2c_1801,12c_smbusinitrd=/bzroot

but you shouldn’t use that method on 6.9+, although it did work. The mic was very quiet. 
Maybe it’s just best to get a USB DAC for your gaming headset. I got the SoundBlaster G3 and it rocks. 

Edited by xlucero1
Alternative for headset
6 hours ago, xlucero1 said:

Is this a USB DAC? Would i be able to passthrough a headset with this? Thank you.

I just use the cheapest USB DAC from Amazon, I bought it for around 8euros.

And just did a paththrough.

Shouldn´t be a problem with your headset on 3.5.

In my case I also have a Logitech G533 with USB Dongle, that´s also working.

• Like 1
On 8/26/2022 at 10:10 AM, deadsix said:

I  was concerned that Jellyfin still had stability issues due to a post that was made earlier this (northern) summer - 

Have you encountered any stability issues since that crash a couple of months ago?

If you have stability with jellyfin, would you be willing to share your performance metrics (FPS, transcode multiplier, etc) for 4K HEVC HDR to 1080p H.264 transcodes on the thread? I would be greatly appreciative as it will guide a purchasing decision. Thanks!

I dont use jellyfin, i was just testing when i made that post.  Never received any comments regarding the crash so assumed it was a fluke.  Maybe someone who is running JF as their daily driver could comment further.