Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

3 hours ago, Aussybob said:

@cscoppa Blue Iris is the reason I want to passthrough the iGPU to a Win 10 VM. Since I haven't had much luck I tried a very old Nvidia Quadro 400 I had laying around for Blue Iris but that was even worse than the iGPU. Was it hard to passthrough your GTX730? I'm getting desperate and may buy a cheapy GPU but want one that will work.

It wasn't too hard, I just had to "force" the driver in by starting the installer, switching to Device Manager, and pointing it at the temp driver install folder to get the driver to go in.

TOOLS --> SYSTEM DEVICES:

image.thumb.png.cb83295d94aec4c4518582d8121a7f07.png

image.png.91267a3867a03a48a020de2de7f5215b.png

image.thumb.png.aa9c44bf299235b1e35d170aeb09f06f.png

Edited by cscoppa
  • Like 1

Thanks for this @cscoppa, it seems hard to find information on passing through GPU's to VM's. There's heaps of questions and comments on the forums with the struggles of passing through GPU's! I had the I7-9700 previously and that was soo easy.

Are you using a ROM BIOS file for the VM? I have come across a few forums where they have "captured" the ROM file.

Just so I understand your process.

Step 1: Tools> System devices- Bind the GPU

Step 2: VM- I just select the card, Do you modify the XML? Your screenshot doesn't show the GTX730 card..

Step 3: Start the Windows PC and remote in and run the installer then point to the temp folder? Are you saying update the driver for the GPU? Is windows detecting the GPU in your case?

Also, in your BI screenshot HA=N shouldn't it be Y when using the GPU?

appreciate your help!

I'm not using a ROM file, I don't believe it's needed with my card.  (too old to need one I believe)

For 2 I let the UI create the XML. (in basic mode) ... then I switched to advanced and modified the XML based on some guides / videos I've seen.  Not sure if this is required, as I believe it's mainly to get HDMI audio working.

From what I remember, Window sees the GPU, but it sets it at a Code 43 or something, so I had to force the driver in to get it working.  I downloaded the driver from Nvidia, ran the installer, and then when I knew it had extracted the files to a temp folder, I switched to Device Manager and installed the driver from there, then I just killed the Nvidia installer.

HA=N means Nvidia in Blue Iris ... the "HA" is Hardware Acceleration.  If it wasn't working it shows as a "-" instead.

image.thumb.png.e2ca4d247fc813223e28df663631f475.png

Edited by cscoppa
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys are people able to hardware transcode while also tonemapping (hardware or software tonemapping) on Alder Lake in unraid via docker (Jellyfin / Plex / Emby)?

I put together a 12700k rig to hopefully replace my GPU with quicksync, but i'm only getting hardware transcoding on Emby if I leave tonemapping completely off. I would love to hear from anybody with a 12600k - 12900k who has been able to hardware transcode 50gb 4K HDR mkv's while also tonemapping. Which app are you using, what settings etc? Thanks

Edited by 0edge
2 hours ago, 0edge said:

Hey guys are people able to hardware transcode while also tonemapping (hardware or software tonemapping) on Alder Lake in unraid via docker (Jellyfin / Plex / Emby)?

I put together a 12700k rig to hopefully replace my GPU with quicksync, but i'm only getting hardware transcoding on Emby if I leave tonemapping completely off. I would love to hear from anybody with a 12600k - 12900k who has been able to hardware transcode 50gb 4K HDR mkv's while also tonemapping. Which app are you using, what settings etc? Thanks

I've had no issues with Plex doing transcode and tone mapping ever since Unraid rolled out the updates many months ago. 

Nothing special. binhex's Plex build in a container. Plex Pass, hardware acceleration and tone mapping enabled. Intel GPU TOP plugin. '/dev/dri' (no quotes) as a *device* path in the container. 

1 hour ago, Brandon_K said:

I've had no issues with Plex doing transcode and tone mapping ever since Unraid rolled out the updates many months ago. 

Nothing special. binhex's Plex build in a container. Plex Pass, hardware acceleration and tone mapping enabled. Intel GPU TOP plugin. '/dev/dri' (no quotes) as a *device* path in the container. 

Thanks, must be an emby bug then. I’m just gona have to hope they fix it. Anyone here use Emby?

34 minutes ago, Brandon_K said:

I have Emby installed on my machine but don't use it (installed to see if Live TV is better than Plex, but they don't have any trial, you have to subscribe to use Live TV and I lost interest). 

I can test transcoding with it later this evening. 

That would be amazing thank you

Anyone getting slowdowns where UI becomes unresponsive and won't reload, same with containers, and even the terminal won't respond for 10-30 seconds? I just put this system together, any input appreciated. I even disabled e-cores.

What settings are you guys using in the bios with regards to over/underclocking, power states etc? Is there maybe some incompatibility with c-states or something?

image.thumb.png.7b6290bc0e5347f8acdd7b7a850dc280.png

• 1 month later...

I have a i7 13700 with RX 7900XT in it.

I use the iGPU for transcoding and 7900xt in a VM.  After some tuning I now get similar performance as my bare metal 5800x3d.  Was ALOT of mucking around/tuning.

I have assigned all P cores other than 0-1HT but would be nice to pin Unraid to E-Cores and use those 2 P cores in the VM seems like a waste of processing power.

Now wondering if its worth pinning some e-cores to VM but not sure if they will be used correctly or not.  To be honest maybe ill just leave as is until the build is stable/working.

Now to sell my 5800x3d RIG with RTX 3070 :P.

Using the latest 6.12rc4 build with the 6.1 Linux Kernel was key to getting it all going.

I am in no means an "intel" guy I always buy AMD but the iGPU transcoding means i could remove my T600 Quadro and sell my RTX 3070.  I have tested AV1 transcodes on plex too and it works fine with iGPU so future proofed there.  So big win for my first intel build since Gen 1 Ryzen.  If i was to build a new baremetal system it be a 7800x3d all day.

Edited by Stixbnr32
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else's HDR Tone mapping is broken on Plex? I'm on Unraid 6.12.1 and plex 1.32.5.7210 and if I try and play a 4K movie with Tone mapping enabled it wont Hardware transcode and will transcode using the CPU.

If I uncheck Tone mapping then it HW transcodes fine.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a Plex issue or something else. If someone has a similar setup that could test and let me know if they are experiencing the same issue that would be appreciated before I go too far down the rabbit hole 🙂 

Edited by Titan84

Plex has had issues for years with HDR Tone Mapping.  It will work/not work depending on the version of Plex and the processor/iGPU/GPU used.  Probably the best bet is to roll back to a previous (preferably known good) version of Plex and see if you have a problem still.

Got it working again 🙂 Thanks for your advice @ConnerVT There was someone on the discord group who also helped out as they had a similar issue. So for me i had to go back 2 months to get HW transcoding working with HDR Tone mapping enabled. The version that worked for me was 1.32.1.6999-91e1e2e2c 
Im using the Official PLEX container and my CPU is the 12900k so i dare say that anyone else using the iGPU on this chip is having issues on the later Plex container releases.

Ill go and report this in the Plex forum. Hopefully someone will look at it and fix the issue... fingers crossed. 

*Edit* For anyone following this issue it looks to be a known issue. Please see https://forums.plex.tv/t/1-32-2-7002/840714?u=v3nom

Edited by Titan84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so been back and forth with a Plex Dev on the topic below... and he seems to think its compatibility with 6.x kernel. (Intel Media Driver) as they are only using Kernel 5.19 and its working for him, but he will have a look at it. If anyone wants to chime in on this one if you are having issues please feel free. https://forums.plex.tv/t/hdr-tone-mapping-with-hw-transcoding-not-working-for-12900k-cpu-on-pms-version-1-32-5-7210/845595?u=v3nom 

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2022 at 12:06 AM, SimonF said:

You need to blacklist i915 driver so top can load it correctly or add force probe to syslinux options or modprobe file.

echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Quick question, is the whole blacklist thing still necessary with Unraid 6.11.5 and above?

Or is the installation of the IntelGPU Top plugin sufficient enough?

Or no more of all this because it is natively supported in the kernel ?

Thanks Guy‘s

6 hours ago, T-Birth said:

Quick question, is the whole blacklist thing still necessary with Unraid 6.11.5 and above?

Or is the installation of the IntelGPU Top plugin sufficient enough?

Or no more of all this because it is natively supported in the kernel ?

Thanks Guy‘s

Currently the kernel does not automatically enable ARC. Kernel 6.2 is required, but 6.1 supports with force_probe

You need to add the following to the file or blacklist with intel gpu top to do this action.

this is the option for ARC770

options i915 force_probe=56a0

• 5 months later...

Hello

I am unable to get hardware transcoding working at all with an i5-1240P (Alderlake CPU in Framework mainboard). I am able to select the GPU in Plex web config, but it can never actually initialize or use it:

Jan 22, 2024 09:09:53.968 [22679530531640] DEBUG - [Req#367/Transcode] Codecs: testing h264 (decoder) with hwdevice vaapi
Jan 22, 2024 09:09:53.968 [22679530531640] DEBUG - [Req#367/Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: testing API vaapi for device '/dev/dri/renderD128' (Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics Controller)
Jan 22, 2024 09:09:53.968 [22679530531640] ERROR - [Req#367/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).

Unraid 6.12.6

Tried linuxserver and official Plex docker

Any ideas?

Thanks

Running Plex with a single transcode, hits the CPU, no GPU usage:

image.thumb.png.3076bad8755f5f62dd9bb0c7b81d2cd7.png

image.thumb.png.57a999f74ca980f03ab528e79613cdd4.png

Visible in Plex:

image.png.be9021b0706976f47f7d96140d98efec.png

Errors in Plex log:

Jan 22, 2024 09:09:53.968 [22679530531640] DEBUG - [Req#367/Transcode] Codecs: testing h264 (decoder) with hwdevice vaapi
Jan 22, 2024 09:09:53.968 [22679530531640] DEBUG - [Req#367/Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: testing API vaapi for device '/dev/dri/renderD128' (Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics Controller)
Jan 22, 2024 09:09:53.968 [22679530531640] ERROR - [Req#367/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).