Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

8 hours ago, flyize said:

Maybe @ich777 can shed some light on this?

Don't know if I can... :D

9 hours ago, flaggart said:

Running Plex with a single transcode, hits the CPU, no GPU usage:

This seems to be Alder Lake P mobile chip, please execute this from a Unraid terminal and reboot afterwards:

mkdir -p /boot/config/modprobe.d
echo "options i915 enable_guc=3" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

If that doesn't work please provide a bit more information about your setup, what Docker container, a screenshot from the Docker template, did you do the necessary steps for Plex with the Claim?

Thankyou both for your help with this so far.

@ich777 I created i915.conf and rebooted. No change. Here is the docker config, I am using linuxserver however I also tried the official docker with the same result:

image.thumb.png.74baba8cca1e6e33931e6890a9e28f94.png

I don't know what the necessary steps for Plex with the claim are. The Plex server webconfig shows it is claimed under my Plex account, which has PlexPass.

Edited by flaggart
3 minutes ago, flaggart said:

I don't know what the necessary steps for Plex with the claim are. The Plex server webconfig shows it is claimed under my Plex account, which has PlexPass.

I don't know but at least from what I know you have to put in the claim, not sure if this has changed. However it is described in the variable from the PLEX_CLAIM in your screenshot what to do.

Can you maybe try the official container from Plex and see if that is working?

42 minutes ago, flaggart said:

Tried with 3 versions now. I used the PLEX_CLAIM method, same result.

You maybe have to wait for the next beta release from Unraid with a newer Kernel, that's my only advice that I can give you currently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, Stixbnr32 said:

I have a i7 13700 with RX 7900XT in it.

I use the iGPU for transcoding and 7900xt in a VM.  After some tuning I now get similar performance as my bare metal 5800x3d.  Was ALOT of mucking around/tuning.

I have assigned all P cores other than 0-1HT but would be nice to pin Unraid to E-Cores and use those 2 P cores in the VM seems like a waste of processing power.

Now wondering if its worth pinning some e-cores to VM but not sure if they will be used correctly or not.  To be honest maybe ill just leave as is until the build is stable/working.

Now to sell my 5800x3d RIG with RTX 3070 :P.

Using the latest 6.12rc4 build with the 6.1 Linux Kernel was key to getting it all going.

I am in no means an "intel" guy I always buy AMD but the iGPU transcoding means i could remove my T600 Quadro and sell my RTX 3070.  I have tested AV1 transcodes on plex too and it works fine with iGPU so future proofed there.  So big win for my first intel build since Gen 1 Ryzen.  If i was to build a new baremetal system it be a 7800x3d all day.

So does that mean the VM has 14 cores - albeit 7 x 2 HT ones? If they are presented as individual cores to the VM, what happens if it tries to use a HT pair at the same time, th performance will tank on one won't it as only the host knows they are a HT pair? I've never quite understood this with hyperthreading...

I have a configuration using an Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake CPU with an ASUS Z690-P Prime DDR5 motherboard. I am just getting ready to move my old unRaid server to this configuration. Seeing the posts about Alder Lake still floating around, am I making a mistake moving my unRaid to this configuration? Should I also invest in a Nvidia GPU to avoid problems?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 6:11 PM, ich777 said:

You maybe have to wait for the next beta release from Unraid with a newer Kernel, that's my only advice that I can give you currently.

I have tested today unraid with kernel 6.7.5 and still have same issue :(

Intel Alderlake_p (Gen12) @ /dev/dri/card0 shows in intel_gpu_top and in plex settings it is selectable, but it is not used on transcode :(