Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

I am looking to build a replacement setup for my 2950x Threadripper due to power costs

The  i9 12900 is 65w compared to my current 180w plus the IGPU (Intel 770) from what I read would be great for Plex but would I need another GPU to be able to use it on unraid? as in I would not be able to pass it through to Plex without another GPU being available?

I currently use HW encdoding for Plex so I am thinking the saving on the CPU wattage plus being able to use the IGPU for Plex should make quite a difference?

Any rights or wrongs here? Thank you!

20 minutes ago, NightOps said:

Is that starting on 6.11 with Plex Pass/Official?

It's not working for me with 6.11 with Plex Pass (currently 1.29.0.6244). @flyize must be running a beta that isn't GA yet. I know he's been "on the wall" (get it?😁) in the Plex forums watching for development updates on this.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, flyize said:

Tone mapping works now.

Sorry, can you elaborate on that a bit?  Was about to pull the trigger on 11th gen, but would prefer 12th.

so with 12th gen:

1. it's stable with unraid in general
  2. it does plex docker hardware h264 encode/decode and h265 decode
  3. it does plex docker HDR tone mapping while hardware encode/decode is enabled (and actually working)

thanks!

Edited by Dephcon
2 minutes ago, Dephcon said:

Sorry, can you elaborate on that a bit?  Was about to pull the trigger on 11th gen, but would prefer 12th.

so with 12th gen:

1. it's stable with unraid in general
  2. it does plex docker hardware h264 encode/decode and h265 decode
  3. it does plex docker HDR tone mapping while hardware encode/decode is enabled (and actually working)

thanks!

1 & 2: definitely.  Cannot confirm #3

• Thanks 1
On 9/25/2022 at 10:20 AM, flyize said:

Tone mapping works now.

I'm thrilled to report HDR Tone Mapping with the iGPU is working with Plex version 1.29.1.6241 with Unraid 6.11.0 on my i5 12600k system.

Edited by snazz
added the iGPU part. It was working via software in previous Plex versions.
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, snazz said:

I'm thrilled to report HDR Tone Mapping with the iGPU is working with Plex version 1.29.1.6241 with Unraid 6.11.0 on my i5 12600k system.

Working here too on the i7-12700.  

NOTE:  You have to be on the Plexpass version.     ( plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass )

image.thumb.png.e6a96b044adc1acbf216c9dc275e4be1.png

1 hour ago, snazz said:

I have version 1.29.0.6244 using plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass.   Update channel is "beta" but I'm not sure how to download and install it because I only update from docker, never manually. 

got it:   i changed version from plexpass to beta.

Edited by dimes007
fixed problem.
8 hours ago, fiR3W4LL said:

Hey Guys
How is the Powerdraw with the 12th gen Intel?

Difficult question to answer as it depends on your hardware setup.  My system idles at 54-60W (8 disk drives sleeping, 2 NVMes active, 12700k).  About 75-80W if 1-3 disk drives are active.  It can bump up to ~140-200W if transcoding.  Speaking of transcoding...

Confirming that tonemapping works on the linuxserver/plex container (currently need to be using the "latest" version).  Hardware transcoding is now about 95-105W.

38 minutes ago, VideoVibrations said:

Difficult question to answer as it depends on your hardware setup.  My system idles at 54-60W (8 disk drives sleeping, 2 NVMes active, 12700k).  About 75-80W if 1-3 disk drives are active.  It can bump up to ~140-200W if transcoding.  Speaking of transcoding...

Confirming that tonemapping works on the linuxserver/plex container (currently need to be using the "latest" version).  Hardware transcoding is now about 95-105W.

Okey nice one for an 125 W CPU

The most interessting CPU will be the 12900 non K with a Base of 65W

But think will see one here 

Edited by fiR3W4LL
15 hours ago, fiR3W4LL said:

Okey nice one for an 125 W CPU

In fact it's really really bad. TDP has nothing to do with efficiency in idle or transcoding. Every 11th Gen Intel upwards is extremely power hungry. Only for comparison: My 9th gen Xeon 6 core setup consumes 13W without 10g card. 19w with. And I have 8 HDDs in Spin down (each consumes 0.5W). 

• Like 1
On 9/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, TurboStreetCar said:

Quick question, will i need a dummy monitor plug plugged into the MB to utilize the iGPU?

On 9/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, VideoVibrations said:

I just confirmed, at least on my machine, that it will still transcode using the iGPU without a dummy HDMI installed.

I would recommend that you always plugin in a HDMI Dummy plug with a valid EDID to your motherboard if you want to use the iGPU for transcoding.

Don't forget that most of this stuff is consumer grade hardware and not for business use and such hardware was most of the times never designed for running it headless like in our use case with Unraid.

29 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I would recommend that you always plugin in a HDMI Dummy plug with a valid EDID to your motherboard if you want to use the iGPU for transcoding.

Don't forget that most of this stuff is consumer grade hardware and not for business use and such hardware was most of the times never designed for running it headless like in our use case with Unraid.

Is the HDMI dummy plug necessary if you have a physical monitor plugged into the port through a KVM switch?

23 minutes ago, dchamb said:

Is the HDMI dummy plug necessary if you have a physical monitor plugged into the port through a KVM switch?

Necessary is a „strong“ word…

Lets put it this way, I would recommend that there is always some kind of Display or at least a HDMI Dummy Plug with a valid EDID connected to the iGPU if you want to use it for transcoding.

In your case it should be enough to have the KVM connected.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Necessary is a „strong“ word…

Lets put it this way, I would recommend that there is always some kind of Display or at least a HDMI Dummy Plug with a valid EDID connected to the iGPU if you want to use it for transcoding.

In your case it should be enough to have the KVM connected.

"Should" being operative here.  There's a few layers of should in there.

It depends on the KVM switch, really, if it edid information when off/switched to another input, or he may have an issue where sometimes it fails.  

It *seems* like Alder Lake doesn't care as much as previous iGPU's about having that connection to work (mine has worked without my dummy plug installed since my Alder Lake upgrade) but...

Eh.  It should be fine.

If one has an unused video out on their motherboard, spending the $3 on Amazon for a dummy plug is great piece of mind.

1 hour ago, Titan84 said:

@ich777 do you have a dummy plug that you would recommend? I'm not using 1 either and currently i dont have any issues but reading this im thinking that adding one won't hurt 🙂

I've bought this one and can confirm that it provides a valid EDID, don't know if you can get it where you live (1080p should do the job just fine).

20 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

It *seems* like Alder Lake doesn't care as much as previous iGPU's about having that connection to work (mine has worked without my dummy plug installed since my Alder Lake upgrade) but...

This can change pretty quickly since back then older iGPUs also had no issue transcoding but suddenly (I think this was somehwere at Kernel version 5.10.x) transcoding stopped working on some hardware combinations and older iGPUs and a connected Display or a HDMI Dummy plug was necessary and this can happen to Alder Lake too.

As said above we are dealing with consumer hardware and it was never intended for our use case with a headless server and HW transcoding without a display connected, that's why I always will recommend to use at least a HDMI Dummy Plug.