Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

On 9/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, cscoppa said:

Working here too on the i7-12700.  

NOTE:  You have to be on the Plexpass version.     ( plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass )

image.thumb.png.e6a96b044adc1acbf216c9dc275e4be1.png

Using the correct image, having installed the intel-gpu-top plugin and gpu-statistics plugin allowed me to see plex hw transcoding. Im running Unraid 6.11.0 with i5-12500T Even ToneMapping works i think, because my test HDR Movie 4K movie i have never seen it this good. Always thought it was filmed in mono chrome cloudy overcast type shots but now i see so much more colors! Great job team!

1 hour ago, SergeantCC4 said:

Does v6.11.1 change anything as far as setting up quicksync for Jellyfin? With the most recent updates to Unraid it seems that the process in setting up HW transcode has changed. 

Is anyone able to clarify or point me in the direction of how to set up Intel QuickSync for a 12th gen iGPU on Jellyfin?

Nothing changed seems to work just fine with 6.11.1 like it did in 6.11

For me all I did was install Intel GPU Top from community apps
Install Jellyfin ( I'm using Jellyfin-AMD-Intel-Nvidia )( it grabs from jellyfin/jellyfin ,i was using nvidia before)
Set the Intel GPU value to /dev/dri ,or just add a device name it Intel GPU and value /dev/dri

In Jellyfin under admin>playback I changed the transcode to intel quicksync, made 

sure to checkmark enable hardware encoding. 

I have all the formats check marked ,I semi remember looking at what the 12th gen igpu supported.(could be wrong on this, so double check for yourself).

Also have tone mapping enabled ( not the vpp) I dont have any files that need it so haven't really messed with tone mapping. or looked to understand what the difference is between the two. I must have enabled for nvidia and left it at that. Maybe the vpp is the right choice?

Saved and that's it for me it worked after that. To check if its using intel I play a video, lower the quality so it has to transcode, then open up a ssh to unraid and use the command intel_gpu_top and see if it's using it.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, steve1977 said:

What does Intel's new hybrid CPU mean for us Unraiders?

Could I use the "fast cores" for a gaming vm and the "slow cores" for Unraid OS? Is this intended use case?

Intel says the performance cores bring single-threaded high frequencies to the table, while the efficiency cores (also known as Gracemont cores), are all about multithreaded performance. That's what Intel means when it calls Alder Lake a “performance hybrid” processor.

On 9/28/2022 at 2:45 PM, cscoppa said:

image.thumb.png.e6a96b044adc1acbf216c9dc275e4be1.png

is that capture taken when you first start watching the movie and it's building a buffer, or after?

it's not as staggeringly less burdened than my 7700K as I would have thought:
gpu_normal.thumb.PNG.81f4cf40f8a8a45c7d3ab4962ccd1a7f.PNG

Still considering upgrading to a 12500/600 as audio transcoding can be a real CPU hog.

Edited by Dephcon
1 hour ago, Dephcon said:

is that capture taken when you first start watching the movie and it's building a buffer, or after?

it's not as staggeringly less burdened than my 7700K as I would have thought:

Still considering upgrading to a 12500/600 as audio transcoding can be a real CPU hog.

I believe I took that screenshot right after starting playback, so it is probably still building the buffer.

On 10/7/2022 at 7:22 PM, NoBigCat said:

Set the Intel GPU value to /dev/dri ,or just add a device name it Intel GPU and value /dev/dri

In Jellyfin under admin>playback I changed the transcode to intel quicksync, made 

sure to checkmark enable hardware encoding. 

I have all the formats check marked ,I semi remember looking at what the 12th gen igpu supported.(could be wrong on this, so double check for yourself).

Also have tone mapping enabled ( not the vpp) I dont have any files that need it so haven't really messed with tone mapping. or looked to understand what the difference is between the two. I must have enabled for nvidia and left it at that. Maybe the vpp is the right choice?

Saved and that's it for me it worked after that. To check if its using intel I play a video, lower the quality so it has to transcode, then open up a ssh to unraid and use the command intel_gpu_top and see if it's using it.

"Set the Intel GPU value to /dev/dri" how do...?

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Intel-GPU-TOP on my machine and got HW transcoding (with tone mapping) working with my i3-12100 in Plex.

However, using the included PGS subtitles absolutely kills my server (while hw transcoding) and the video will buffer a lot, so I'll have to download .srt subtitles for my media as they work without any issues.

Is the issue with burning PGS subtitles related to just Plex not liking those subtitles, my CPU being too weak for burning them or what? Should I expect my machine to work with them at some point, or should I just download the .srt subtitle files for my media?

Most of my media is played with local direct play on Nvidia Shield Pro, so the included PGS subtitles are not an issue. But around 10 % of my usage is remote viewing, which is why I wanted to get hw transcoding working on my machine.

Edited by Hurde

Hi all,

So I'm currently running a Ryzen 1700 on Asus X370 Prime Pro with 32 GB 3200 RAM (@2666) and RTX3090 on 6.11.1

Having to shut down Windows Gaming VM to enable HW transcoding on RTX in Emby for needy users is becoming tiresome and waste of resources.

Considering switching to i9 12900/ i7 12700 and MSI X690 DDR4 board (TBD between Pro/Tomahawk/Edge/Carbon) and move transcoding in Emby from the RTX and onto the iGPU

• Are there any persisting issues with hardware accelerated transcoding and tone mapping using 12 Gen iGPU in Emby?

Regarding passthrough on 12 Gen to Windows/iOS VMs, are there still persisting issues with:

• 12 Gen iGPU passthrough to VM?
  • onboard audio passthrough to VMs using MSI/all Z690 boards? Has IOMMU grouping been improved with MSI BIOS updates?

Thanks all.

Edited by joncroweucl
On 10/1/2022 at 7:19 AM, james.r.madsen87 said:

Sorry, maybe over the edge. But when you have a elderly neighbors living in 10 degree Celcius (50F) and burning wood like the it's 19th century. And smell of gas reporting in the community because of some gas explosions in our economic zone close to us. Then you get a German who say wrongly what to do to energy reduce. Then you snap.

Definitely over the edge bro. Please read the forum rules (especially number 1 and 5)

Then, please Edit your post or I'll do so myself. 

• Upvote 2
On 10/26/2022 at 6:52 PM, iterexet said:

In case anyone is looking for info about 13th gen:
Surprisingly 13th gen seems to be working seamlessly including hw transcoding and HDR tone-mapping as well (i5-13600K) on binhex-plexpass
Same iGPU as 12th gen but wasn't expecting it to just work tbh

That's good to hear. I may go with a 13th gen instead of a 12th gen. I assume you're running 6.11.1. Were the 12th gen issues with the kernel only related to iGPU?

6 hours ago, Quentin4K said:

That's good to hear. I may go with a 13th gen instead of a 12th gen. I assume you're running 6.11.1. Were the 12th gen issues with the kernel only related to iGPU?

Yeah; iirc there where some issues with E-cores, but they where resolved pretty early. I didn't experience that myself however, the 12400 doesn't have those.

On unraid 6.11.1 I have all P Cores pinned to a Gaming VM and the IGPU on 13th gen 13700k is working fine transcoding plex on just Ecores in Unraid Docker. 

For some reason I cannot get the IGPU to show up on Emby though with /dev/dri

Edited by krabcakes
Added unraid version

I also have a strange problem with me. I have an Alder Lake 12700 k Cpu with a Gigabyte W680 board.

Transcoding with Plex works fine in the meantime. However, I had several times now that the iGPU was suddenly no longer there. It is then also no longer listed under systems devices.

However, it was there at the beginning. Only a reboot helps in this case. I have not passed the iGPU to a VM.

5 hours ago, waymon said:

Damn.  Looks like I might take a chance on the 13600k instead of the 12600k.....reports are looking positive....
Same socket so could always sell the 13gen and go back to 12 gen...

hmm...considerations...

I put in a 13700k and I'm using iGPU with plex, no issues.

42 minutes ago, Stringer said:

I tried, but no luck. I have a 12th gen cpu. Would be very interested in a solution!

Same here, when I first built the box.  I ended up flipping it around and using the iGPU for Plex and passing through my old GTX 730 to a Win11 VM for Blue Iris to use.

I don't transcode in Plex very often (prefer direct play) so would be interested in getting iGPU passthrough to work.

4 hours ago, cscoppa said:

Same here, when I first built the box.  I ended up flipping it around and using the iGPU for Plex and passing through my old GTX 730 to a Win11 VM for Blue Iris to use.

I don't transcode in Plex very often (prefer direct play) so would be interested in getting iGPU passthrough to work.

@cscoppa Blue Iris is the reason I want to passthrough the iGPU to a Win 10 VM. Since I haven't had much luck I tried a very old Nvidia Quadro 400 I had laying around for Blue Iris but that was even worse than the iGPU. Was it hard to passthrough your GTX730? I'm getting desperate and may buy a cheapy GPU but want one that will work.

Edited by Aussybob
  • Upvote 1