Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

20 minutes ago, flyize said:

It works. Until it crashes (in my case, no more than 24 hours). I've been monitoring this intently and don't think I've seen it work long term for anyone. I'd love to be wrong though!

Is it generally unstable or only with HDR tone mapping enabled in Plex? I read somewhere in the thread that this is a problem, but I'm not sure if disabling it solves everything. 

20 minutes ago, flyize said:

It works. Until it crashes (in my case, no more than 24 hours). I've been monitoring this intently and don't think I've seen it work long term for anyone. I'd love to be wrong though!

haha! I'd love if you were wrong as well (I wasn't suggesting that you were, btw). I have no personal experience yet as I'm just now getting everything installed. I made the stupid assumption of getting the "latest and greatest" would be all sunshine and rainbows....never considering that there might be issues (which is hilarious because I'm a mechanical engineer and deal with quite a bit of beta testing pools). In any case, I hope this gets sorted soon.

• Like 1
Just now, Stringer said:

Is it generally unstable or only with HDR tone mapping enabled in Plex? I read somewhere in the thread that this is a problem, but I'm not sure if disabling it solves everything. 

Not sure about @flyize but for me HDR tone sample with HDR content caused it to bomb rapidly.  Having hardware acceleration enabled in Plex would result in lockups after 9ish days.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, NightOps said:

Not sure about @flyize but for me HDR tone sample with HDR content caused it to bomb rapidly.  Having hardware acceleration enabled in Plex would result in lockups after 9ish days.

Mine is measured in hours. Not sure if it makes a difference, but my Plex server is pretty heavily used.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

There is a good reason it's referred to as "cutting (bleeding) edge technology"

Serial 1st adopters have to be a special breed of person.

I suppose so. Honestly, when I bought it I had no idea how much trouble I'd have with it. I've probably built 20+ computers at this point and never had an OS support issue with a processor. New territory for me...

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, flyize said:

I suppose so. Honestly, when I bought it I had no idea how much trouble I'd have with it. I've probably built 20+ computers at this point and never had an OS support issue with a processor. New territory for me...

I understand completely.  I'm a bit in the same boat.  If we take just a slight bit larger view on things, the Linux kernel has fully supported the 11th and 12th gen Intel CPUs and iGPUs for a bit now, so the availability is there.  I have faith that Lime Tech will get unRAID updated with the latest necessary kernel within a respectable time.  I went 12th gen because of the opportunity for less power draw and the power of the iGPU.  It's just a matter of time until we see the payout.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, NightOps said:

I understand completely.  I'm a bit in the same boat.  If we take just a slight bit larger view on things, the Linux kernel has fully supported the 11th and 12th gen Intel CPUs and iGPUs for a bit now, so the availability is there.  I have faith that Lime Tech will get unRAID updated with the latest necessary kernel within a respectable time.  I went 12th gen because of the opportunity for less power draw and the power of the iGPU.  It's just a matter of time until we see the payout.

Except from what I'm reading, there seems to be a good chance that 5.16 alone will not fix the issue.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:42 AM, NightOps said:

Is your Plex under heavy use, or is it just the matter of having your Plex docker running?

On 3/8/2022 at 8:35 AM, NightOps said:

I've got my last 2 E-cores isolated for unRAID, and haven't had a single issue.  I can't say I've noticed any appreciable performance issues.  Running for well over a month now with no lockups/etc.  Now if only the updated Kernel would fall into our laps for iGPU passthrough!

I isolated cpus 0-11 (all 6 P cores) on my 12600k.   In reality it didn't work.   With all vms off core 0 had plenty of activity.   I guess its 5 core pairs isolated for me.  Maybe i'll force emulatorpin on 0,1.    

10 hours ago, dimes007 said:

I isolated cpus 0-11 (all 6 P cores) on my 12600k.   In reality it didn't work.   With all vms off core 0 had plenty of activity.   I guess its 5 core pairs isolated for me.  Maybe i'll force emulatorpin on 0,1.    

Can you be more specific about what didn't work? I have a 12600k too (I exchanged the 12900k) and have CPU cores 0-11 isolated for a Win11 VM which is now my daily driver. Unraid seems to be fine with just the E-Cores in my case.

14 hours ago, snazz said:

Can you be more specific about what didn't work? I have a 12600k too (I exchanged the 12900k) and have CPU cores 0-11 isolated for a Win11 VM which is now my daily driver. Unraid seems to be fine with just the E-Cores in my case.

Sure.  What we both did:

All the P cores 0-11 isolated for a windows daily driver.   

You assign those isolated cores to the windows daily driver.

Performance in VM is good so you think all is well.

But one day when the VM wasn't running I noticed what I didn't think to check:  Core 0 IS NOT isolated.

Go stop your VM and do something in unraid or dockers and notice if only Cores 1-11 remain at 0%.  For me, despite isolcpus set, Core 0 had activity.

Please verify my results.

Regards.

Hi first post here - not sure this is the best place but figure it might help someone else out as this thread is what saved me with my first Unraid build.  

I just recently built my new Unraid media server with an 12th Gen Intel 12500 and was able to successfully get hardware transcoding (QuickSync) to work.  To provide a step by step guide for noobs likemyself who might be struggling - this is what I did:

1. Enabled iGPU in bios (I have a Asus B660 Plus-D4 and the iGPU was actually disabled by default. 
  2. Install Unraid 6.10 rc4 or latest revision (important to be in 6.10 as 6.9 won't recognize your iGPU on your 12th gen cpu in my experience. Scratched my head on that one for a while before coming across this thread.)
  3. configured all of my media services per the Trash Guides (Ibracorp Atomic moves video). 
    1. I Used the Linuxserver version of the Plex Docker - I read multiple places that it plays nicer with QuickSync Transcoding but did not verify this through experimentation of my own.
  4. Install Intel GPU Top by ich777 
  5. Install and configure gpu statics by b3rs3rk (this adds a gpu usage to your dashboard so you can see if your iGPU is working and also gives you neat info on how bogged down your server is getting)
    1. I rebooted the server at this point, don't know if it's necessary
  6. open a console and input:     echo "blacklist i915" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf
    1. reboot again
  7. Following the guide here as reference (a lot of this is copy pasted with a couple steps removed that i didn't use or need): https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77943-guide-plex-hardware-acceleration-using-intel-quick-sync/
    1. in console: cd /dev/dri
    2. in console: ls
    3. you should see something like the below
    4. image.png

5. in a new terminal window type: chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

8. Now go back to your dockers and in your Plex Docker setting add /dev/dri as a device - I followed the linked guide verbatum 

9. Enable transcoding in plex, Again follow the guide (pretty much just click a couple check boxes on the transcode tab in your plex server settings).

10. test your server to see if it works! Select a video to play, play it and make sure to change the quality:

1. in plex app on computer: while playing video, click the settings icon > click on the quality> show more >choose one that is different than the original file quality 

2. click down arrow in top left, then the squigly line in the top right and go to your activity dashboard.  If in the description of the transcode you see (hw) it means you are hardware transcoding

3. Another way to check is to go to the dashboard on your Unraid server and look at the GPU stats that you previously installed

11. At this point, I was done. I did not need to do any of the other steps listed in the guide to get the settings to persist.

Hope this helps someone and doesn't confuse anyone. 

I haven't tried converted any HDR or 4k stuff yet, but Generally my transcodes spike at first to like 25% gpu usage and then drops to nothing.  If someone knows a way to benchmark transcoding performance or anything like that, let me know and I can post the results later for people curious how the 12500 performs.  

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, NightOps said:

Just curious, what is your uptime?

I can't really give you an accurate answer to your question right now. I can say that I haven't had any server crashes and ran the server for 3 days without issue.  I took it down this morning to configure and install a new UPS.  If I get any crashes or anything I'll follow up. Right now it seems very stable and I don't plan on taking the server offline again.  

3 minutes ago, Cajones said:

I can't really give you an accurate answer to your question right now. I can say that I haven't had any server crashes and ran the server for 3 days without issue.  I took it down this morning to configure and install a new UPS.  If I get any crashes or anything I'll follow up. Right now it seems very stable and I don't plan on taking the server offline again.  

Using this same method of enabling QS, I was able to run about 9 days before I would have a complete system lockup..  Hopefully you get better results.  I am using the Z690-P D4 and the i5-12600k.  As soon as I took the iGPU out of Plex and Handbrake, then suddenly I had 0 issues... and I've been running for about 90 days with no lockups.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, NightOps said:

Using this same method of enabling QS, I was able to run about 9 days before I would have a complete system lockup..  Hopefully you get better results.  I am using the Z690-P D4 and the i5-12600k.  As soon as I took the iGPU out of Plex and Handbrake, then suddenly I had 0 issues... and I've been running for about 90 days with no lockups.

I had... 2, 3 days before my first lockup?  Something like that.  It's highly random seeming; I'm not sure if it's contributed to by a certain sort of activity (as I don't know what was happening when it locked up) and because such a hard lock of the whole system endangers a lot more than just Plex, I wasn't really interested in testing to figure out what exactly was the cause.  

• Upvote 1

So I had my first crash this morning, just short of 48 hour uptime.  I was playing around with the 4k transcoding and HDR: the 4k transcode was not working at all (not sure if it was file or server, i suspect server). The HDR content is what I believe led to crash.   Something I noticed before the server locked up was that my iGPU was pegged at ~7 Watts but not actually "doing" anything and wouldn't stop drawing until the server locked up.