Norco 4224 have trouble cooling drives no matter which fans I use

CSIG1001

I used to use system auto fan which worked great on my old motherboard to control the hdd heat on my 24 bay norco 4224. Now  with my asus z490 qfan it only sees the chipset or cpu which does not help ramp up the fans during a parity check and system auto fan app does not work to detect my chipset fan control.   Not sure what else to do here as I am stumped on how to fix this issue where I can tell my backplane fans 3 , 120mm fans to ramp up when hdds exceed 45c . I usually avg around 45c at idle but during parity checks i see 51-54c on hdds . The entire 24 bay is filled up with large drives 12-18 TB

I have 2 , noctua fans rununing in the rear 

any idea?

Edited by CSIG1001

I'm not going to recommend a particular fan, because I do not have that case (and only because it's no longer manufactured).

However, one thing to bear in mind when selecting fans (and a very common mistake) is thinking that CFM actually means something.  It does mean something in that it is a measure of how much air it can move when there are no obstructions.  However, when there are obstructions the rating becomes meaningless because a high CFM does not mean that the fan can pull any air through the small gaps that the case allows for intake.  

What you're looking for are fans with high static pressure.  These fans have the ability to pull air through very small gaps.  They are also unfortunately usually very loud.   The actual outlet fans in this case aren't anywhere near as important as the intake fans.

To actually address your question, if the Dynamix System Temp / Autofan doesn't recognize your sensors, then there isn't much that you can do, short of finding a fan that gives you the temperature vs sound that you're looking for.

4 hours ago, Michael_P said:

I printed a custom front fan shroud for my 4224, keeps my drives in the high 30's during parity checks (granted, my internal fan wall filled with Noctua fans is always at 100%, so can't help ya there)

4032-3024-max.thumb.jpg.990e8aad0c3f4be9224aa43f4d040439.jpg

That looks  like a great alternative for using when you are rebuilding the parity.  I looked on thingyverse but did not see it.  Are you able to share it? How did you attach it ? Looks like you just screwed it on to the rack.   My only issue would be how do you run power to it?

Thanks

36 minutes ago, CSIG1001 said:

That looks  like a great alternative for using when you are rebuilding the parity.  I looked on thingyverse but did not see it.  Are you able to share it? How did you attach it ? Looks like you just screwed it on to the rack.   My only issue would be how do you run power to it?

Thanks

Here's the 4 STLs if you wanna print 'em. If I wanted to improve on it I'd probably include some interlocking tabs to help with alignment when gluing, but it works as is so meh

I added tabs on it so it lines up with the 4224's handles to either zip tie or velcro (I went with velcro), powered it via an umbilical cord to an externally powered fan hub

4032-3024-max.thumb.jpg.d7c098ae6e91035bf245346549908877.jpg

Bezel Cut 1.stl Bezel Cut 2.stl Bezel Cut 3.stl Bezel Cut 4.stl

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Michael_P said:

Here's the 4 STLs if you wanna print 'em. If I wanted to improve on it I'd probably include some interlocking tabs to help with alignment when gluing, but it works as is so meh

I added tabs on it so it lines up with the 4224's handles to either zip tie or velcro (I went with velcro), powered it via an umbilical cord to an externally powered fan hub

4032-3024-max.thumb.jpg.d7c098ae6e91035bf245346549908877.jpg

Bezel Cut 1.stl 156.53 kB · 0 downloads Bezel Cut 2.stl 165.22 kB · 0 downloads Bezel Cut 3.stl 161.7 kB · 0 downloads Bezel Cut 4.stl 157.02 kB · 0 downloads

thanks , 

I was able to put in some better fans , however i think i should be sucking air from the outside into the case? I am currently blowing air out over the drives . How are you doing it?

• 2 weeks later...