What ports does unRAID need -- both WAN and LAN to LAN?

I have a rather locked down home network. I am planning on installing unRAID on my Intel NUC. I'm trying to find information on what ports unRAID needs but can't find any concrete documentation.

I assume it needs 80 and 443 for LAN to LAN access so other clients on my network can access the unRAID GUI.

Then I assume Samba or NFS ports for LAN to LAN -- for obvious reasons.

But I am sure unRAID needs other ports? For example:

• 80/443 to WAN out so it can have internet access?
  • NTP, DNS?

I cannot find a listing of the ports unRAID needs so I can configure them in my firewall.

3 hours ago, IMTheNachoMan said:
  • 80/443 to WAN out so it can have internet access?
  •  

may rather describe where you want to open ports.

if you talk about your router and opening WAN ports, nothing needs a external port to function, only when you want to access something from outside your home, then you can consider opening ports on your router depending on your services you want to access from outside.

but as you state you have a "locked down home network" may describe what you mean with this, is there something between which could block unraid ? then may someone could help on that specific usecase.

7 hours ago, alturismo said:

nothing needs a external port to function

I am sure it needs NTP out of WAN, right? It probably needs HTTP/HTTPS out the WAN -- especially to get the trial account and look for updates?

Those are the obvious ones. Almost every product tells you what ports it needs/uses. I am just trying to find the same information for unRAID.

41 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

How are you planning on attaching storage? USB doesn't play well with the parity array, too unstable. For external drives SAS is best, followed by eSATA in a pinch.

Well, I was going to give it a try to see how it works. My Intel has a 256 GB m.2 and 2 TB HDD. I was hoping I could just use the 2 TB for storage and the m.2 for cache. But I have no idea if it will work. If you tell me now it won't then I won't bother. I was planning on upgrading my NUC anyway. 

SATA. 

• 256 GB m.2 SSD for cache
  • 2 TB SATA HDD for main storage

I don't need redundancy or raid or anything. 

Right now, on the same box, I am running Debian as the host OS with everything else I need in containers. Managing a full OS stack is time consuming (upgrades, packages, failures, etc...). So I was thinking I could use unRAID cause it can run my containers. 

I have a job that backs everything up to Google Drive using rclone so I don't need any local redundancy. 

If you are just using it exactly as you say, then it should work fine.

The issue comes when people see just how much else CAN be done, with the correct hardware, and try to extend beyond.

Like I originally said for WAN access, it's purely for third party addons or optional services. Granted, Community Applications plugin is getting closer and closer to being built in, but it's still third party for now. Any communication out of the box is purely optional based on what functionality you want to enable.

Trial mode is the only exception for the core product.

Set your 2TB as array disk1, and your SSD as a single member pool. All your system files and container applications should be on the SSD, all your bulk storage on the HDD. You didn't mention what your actual use case is, so it's possible you may want some files to first temporarily go to the SSD and be moved to the HDD later, that's managed by the share settings and the mover schedule.