Time Machine Share not seen my one MAC

rharvey

I have been using my Unraid as a Time Machine backup location for my 3 MAC's now for a number of years.  Just got a warning on my wife's iMac that it has not been backed up in a few weeks so I looked into why. For some reason the Time Machine application on her MAC does not see my TM share at all.  I can browse to it using connect to server and can see the backup bundles no problem so I don't think it's a permission issue. I have searched and read everything but have not found a solution.  The other two MAC's are connecting and backing up just fine.  My wife's iMac is the oldest of the three machines (2013) and it's running ElCapitan which is the newest OS that hardware can support, but again it's been working fine for years.  As one final test, I took an old and long demoted Apple Air Station and fired it up.  Her iMac saw that Time Capsule right away but NOT the Unraid.  Any ideas...... 

Map out to the unraid TM share via the network explorer and you may have re-authenticate?  If the TM share mounts manually then start the time machine backup and it should work.  Or you may have to turn time machine off and on again to restart a new / fresh backup?  I had to do that sometime after similar behavior as yours.

I just tried a new test...

1. Created a brand new share on Unraid and set it up with a unique name and as a TM share

2. From my MacBook Air (2020), mounted this new share, went to the TM app and that new share shows up just fine.

3. Did the same on my iMac (2015), mounted this new share, went to the TM app and the new share shows up just fine.

4. And now, to my wife's iMac, mounted this new share (normal), went to the TM app and nothing there, no shares at all

Remember this troublesome iMac saw an old Time Capsule instantly AND was working on the Unraid TM share for years.