Parity Drive Kaput - Now what?

Well, my parity drive in my second UnRaid system is dead / kaput.  My setup had only one parity drive. It was a 10TB drive and I plan to replace it with 8 TB as I can't buy another 10TB.  What is the process?  I read that replacing the 10 with a 8 is not possible, from bigger parity drive to smaller drive? My biggest data drive in the array is also an 8TB if it matters.  Even with a new re-config and preserving the data won't work?  There is gotta be a way right?  What are the exact steps?

Edited by johnwhicker

The rule is no data drive can be larger than parity. An 8TB drive will work just fine since you don't have any data drives larger than that.

It's true you can't ever rebuild a data drive to a smaller one, but that doesn't apply here.

Just remove the failed drive, assign the 8TB to the parity slot, and start the array to build parity.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

The rule is no data drive can be larger than parity. An 8TB drive will work just fine since you don't have any data drives larger than that.

It's true you can't ever rebuild a data drive to a smaller one, but that doesn't apply here.

Just remove the failed drive, assign the 8TB to the parity slot, and start the array to build parity.

Thank you Sir and I will proceed. Sounds pretty straight forward :) 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, JonathanM said:

Should I do a parity check after re-build is done, just in case?